Record OTA?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Or AntennaWeb. I find it easier to get to the answers I am looking for. TVFool used to be my go-to but I've found errors in their data recently.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:01 pm

SugarFree wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:34 pm The replies here have been really helpful - my thanks to all of you!
If you want to spend a bit more money, and your OTA live-viewing/recording habits justify needing more than two tuners, I can recommend the Hauppauge Quad (1609) PCIe tuner card. It has FOUR OTA/ATSC tuners in it, so WMC will have four digital ATSC tuners that can be used simultaneously for viewing and/or recording.

I've gone through quite a number of OTA/ATSC tuners over the past 15 years (even before going to WMC in 2010 when Ceton tuners became available for Win7), using pre-WMC 3rd-party software to be my TV/DVR. I was using BeyondTV for many years before it was disappeared by unstoppable competition from the availability of free WMC with Win7. It was AMD back in those days which was making the OTA/ATSC tuner cards, originally just a single tuner and then eventually two tuners. These also supported analog S-VHS input and analog NTSC antennas for 480i TV, appropriate in those analog TV days.

So the Hauppauge QuadHD is really an all-digital 4-tuner evolutionary product. I have two of them, in each of my two HTPCs, along with a Ceton 6-tuner device (PCIe in one, ETH in the other) in each HTPC as well. WMC supports all 10 tuners, and my SD subscription (for EPG123) supports both the Spectrum cable lineup as well as my local OTA/ATSC digital cable channel lineup (for my roof antenna). EPG123 supports both lineups, so my WMC GUide shows everything... both Spectrum cable channels as well as local OTA/ATSC digital broadcast channels.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:48 pm

Since the OP on;y wanto record a couple of ota shows a week it sounds like the quad tuner is a bit of overkill, also said no available PCI slots. Note that Hauppauge now also offers a quad USB tuner: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/webstor ... d-usb.html

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Thanks for the tip on Rabbit Ears. Turns out the stations I want are less than 10 miles away - but-not just VHF, they're both Lo-VHF. Fewer than 60 stations in the entire country still use that frequency, but the two I want are in that group. To bring them in, I'll need the kind of antennas we used to see on roofs, called Dipoles. They do still make them, and they do HD and 4k as well - but not cheap. Not sure it's worth it for 2 or 3 channels...

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 pm

SugarFree wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pmThanks for the tip on Rabbit Ears. Turns out the stations I want are less than 10 miles away - but-not just VHF, they're both Lo-VHF. Fewer than 60 stations in the entire country still use that frequency, but the two I want are in that group. To bring them in, I'll need the kind of antennas we used to see on roofs, called Dipoles. They do still make them, and they do HD and 4k as well - but not cheap. Not sure it's worth it for 2 or 3 channels...
For what it's worth... I use one of these mounted on the roof. https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellit ... B0024R4B5C

It's fairly cheap and pulls all my local channels (32 miles) without amplification and also pulls a few remote channels (~100 miles) with the previously mentioned PCT in-line amplifier.

Note: Walmart has these for the same price as Amazon and are in-stock at some local stores.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Suburban ... t/10828410

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Just a note. HD and 4K are characteristics of the transmitted data and have nothing to do with the performance of any antenna. The antenna will either pull in the frequency well or it won't. If it does then whatever the signal type is will be watchable. Antenna makers throw around 4k and HD as meaningless buzzwords. All antennas are 4k and HD capable for the channels they pull in well.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:11 pm

> Satellite Antenna

It's not a question of pulling in stations - nor whether an antenna can 'do' VHF. Most antennas can do that. But if a listing does not specifically state "LO VHF" - and yours doesn't - it won't bring in channels 2 - 7. It will only bring in the VHF channels above that, known as High VHF. For LO, you *must* have a Dipole antenna, or add a Dipole to an existing antenna. That's what makes them expensive.

My guess is the reason you get all 'local' stations is because they're all either High VHF or UHF.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:13 am

SugarFree wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pm Thanks for the tip on Rabbit Ears. Turns out the stations I want are less than 10 miles away - but-not just VHF, they're both Lo-VHF. Fewer than 60 stations in the entire country still use that frequency, but the two I want are in that group. To bring them in, I'll need the kind of antennas we used to see on roofs, called Dipoles. They do still make them, and they do HD and 4k as well - but not cheap. Not sure it's worth it for 2 or 3 channels...
There's no such thing as an HD or 4K antenna.

The same antenna your dad put up in 1955 to get Channel 4, will continue to get Channel 4 today. And if Channel 4 is broadcasting HD (which it is), then you'll get...HD.

If someone is trying to tell you that you need to spend gobs of money to get a digital HD antenna, he's lying--in more ways than one.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:49 am

SugarFree wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:11 pm It's not a question of pulling in stations - nor whether an antenna can 'do' VHF. Most antennas can do that. But if a listing does not specifically state "LO VHF" - and yours doesn't - it won't bring in channels 2 - 7.
Some antenna specs won't specify VHF LO, but they may specify the frequency range. If it goes down to 54MHz or lower, you're good. I use Lava Omnipro HD-8008 which goes down to 40MHz in my attic space.
- Gary

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Gary, the station I want is at 54-60MHz - so this may well work. Do you have yours mounted on the optional pole in the attic, or affixed to the ceiling/wall without one? I know every area is different, but how many stations does it bring in? Do I need to buy a separate amplifier (as well as splitter for the Hauppauge)?

Finally, I don't have a window in the attic out of which I can toss a coax - so I would probably have to attach it up high on the side of the house. Do I need the pole for that, or is there an included bracket I can use?

Thanks!

Lisa

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:21 pm

I mounted my antenna on a temporary stand I made from spare wood for an experiment to see if I could pull everything I need in the attic space. It has been temporary for around 5 years now. If I had a J-pole available, I would have probably hung it down from a rafter or something.

I bring in all the stations that are available in my area. If weather conditions are good, I can almost pull in broadcasts from 110 miles away. I am surrounded by mountains here and have towers directly north, a tower directly south, and more towers west-north-west. The WNW towers are low power and used to service an area in a valley north of its position and that is where my VHF 4 is. I can pull it in if I point the VHF wings in that direction but I needed to point mine north to pick up VHF 9. I'm not missing anything since the VHF 4 stations are also broadcast on UHF 23 from the north.

I personally don't like amplifiers since they amplify both the signal and the noise. If you have low signal then you might consider it, but if you have good signal but poor quality then the amp probably isn't going to do you any good. I have my antenna feed going into a 3-way splitter for my 2 HDHomeRuns and my Sling AirTV (for backup recordings). Still get 100% signal strength on most channels and high 90s-100 on signal quality. The antenna is powered and has its own amplifier built in... the power is provided through the coax so no need to run a separate power cable. Speaking of which, you will need to be sure that the power for the antenna is inserted between your splitter(s) and the antenna, or buy a special splitter that allows DC voltage on one leg and blocks DC on the others.

To mount outside you will need a pole to mount it to so you can point it at your VHF broadcasters.
- Gary

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Gary, thanks for the useful info. Looks like the extra $10 for the pole is worth it, especially if I need to hang it outside. I sure have learned a lot in the last week - but I always do here. /s

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Lisa

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:11 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:21 pmI use Lava Omnipro HD-8008 which goes down to 40MHz in my attic space.

I bring in all the stations that are available in my area. If weather conditions are good, I can almost pull in broadcasts from 110 miles away. I am surrounded by mountains here and have towers directly north, a tower directly south, and more towers west-north-west.
Hi Gary!

Charter/Spectrum has made two increases in the past 11 months to a relative's annual cable bill making it > $700 a year more expensive. They want me to design a system so they can "cut the cord". Part of that is installing an antenna. They're located in an area similar to yours but a bit more hilly.

Their location is semi-rural as far as towers are concerned. The local towers range anywhere from 10 to 40 miles from their physical location and are scattered in all four directions. I've been reviewing "omni-directional" antennas and the Lava brand keeps popping up.

They prefer an attic mounted antenna and their house is two stories with a very steep pitch on the roof. Therefore they'll have approximately 25 to 30 feet of elevation inside the attic.

Questions (if you don't mind):
  1. What is the elevation of your antenna in relation to the ground?
  2. Are you saying you can "almost" receive stations from South Mountain, or that you do receive them?
I appreciate and respect your opinion. Thanks for your insights! :D

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:24 pm

Here is a snapshot of my current situation.
reception.PNG
RF channels 9, 14, 18, 19, 23, 25, 30, 32, 35 are at azimuth 2 degrees/22 miles.
RF channel 21 is at azimuth 172 degrees/24 miles.
RF channels 16, 36 are at azimuth 288/22 miles.

RF channels 14 and 35 are low power but no issues with them even though signal quality is a little lower.

I'm in a single story home, so the antenna is probably only about 12-15 feet above ground level inside the attic space.

EDIT: Answer to the south antenna, yes I receive it just fine (RF channel 21).
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:35 pm

I should also note that for any VHF channels your relatives wish to receive, the antenna is directional (0 and 180 degrees in orientation). Also, the antenna isn't perfectly omni directional for the UHF band so rotation of the antenna can affect your reception which is why I created this GUI to peak out the channels as best I could.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:15 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:24 pm Here is a snapshot of my current situation.
reception.PNG
What is this wizardry and where can I download it?

garyan2 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:24 pm EDIT: Answer to the south antenna, yes I receive it just fine (RF channel 21).
RF 21 appears to be around 80 miles south of you. You had mentioned "almost" receiving stations 110 miles away. The South Mountain I was referring to is actually around 110 miles north of your location. I'm north of South Mountain and have sporadically received KGUN and KOLD, albeit pixelated and unwatchable. Can you receive anything from the "north" South Mountain?

Thanks again! :thumbup:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:10 pm

Oh, sorry. It takes a very special day for me to get anything off of South Mountain. I have some obstruction in my line-of-sight, and the distance of course doesn't help. If my house was a few miles west, I might have better results.

In the past I had the LAVA antenna on a roof mast which elevated it to around 25' and I could receive some signal from South Mountain. It was too weak for the HDHomeruns, but my TV could pull it in sometimes depending on weather.

Here is a map (rotated) of antenna locations wrt my location. The yellow line is the tower for my RF 21. The blue is what I added to show South Mountain from where I am.
map.png
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:29 pm

Here's another map for you showing the radiation pattern from 15.1 on South Mountain (which is one of the channels I remember being able to pull in sometimes). You can definitely see how the terrain limits my reception.
southmountaintotuscon.png
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:57 pm

That's good information!

Based on my research I'll probably go with two combiner linked 200 mile amplified yagis because they're in hills and hollars country. I can point one southeast and the other to the north northeast and capture the majority of their local stations. I'm hoping I'll also be able to capture the ones close to the edge of the beamwidth. :D

Are you going to share your wizardry with the rest of the class? It looks awesome!

It's all fun until it's not.

Thanks again Gary!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:20 pm

It is just something I created to scan through the RF channels on one of my HDHomeruns and give me channel/subchannels, signal strength, signal and symbol quality. It is hardcoded specifically for one of my tuners and the RF channels are preset for my area. Basically, nothing is configurable except to modify the code right now. It came in real handy to peak my reception for all channels I care about while also tuning out some low power transmissions that I would get from reflections off the mountains.
- Gary