XBox 360 Media Update Issue

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
McGary

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox 360 Media Update Issue

Post by McGary » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:54 pm

I recently tried to play an old movie we recorded several years ago that I hadn't played in quite a while through our extender, and got a pop up with the title line "Optional Media Update Required", and the text of the windows says "A media update is required to play this content. To get the update, sign in to XBox Live and play the content again."

Most of our movies and recorded TV play just fine through the extender, but now that I've seen this I've found several others that show the same pop-up. [All of the ones I've had trouble with are Perry Mason TV movies -- but these have always played fine in the past, and several of them still do].

Any ideas on how to get this update installed?? I created an XBox Live account and tried to download the update from the XBox site, but although they do have a console update (which I downloaded and installed just fine), they do NOT have the media update; and I still get the same message with some content.

Any ideas??

McGary

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 am

Found the same issue with a couple of HallMark movies. Note that virtually ALL of our recorded movies are marked with CC1 ("Copy Once") codes by our cable provider (Spectrum/Time Warner). But they all play just fine with WMC on the main system -- and the vast majority play fine on our extenders (XBox 360's). Except for the few I've found the last couple days that give this note about a media update requirement. Has anyone with extenders seen this issue?? And do you know how to get the "free media update" that's listed in this message?

Dmcd

Post by Dmcd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 am

I just restored the media update yesterday after I reset my Xbox dealing with a different issue so it seems to exist still. I thought the first time it asks for this, it just automatically downloaded if you have minimum silver account.