Help with RF Amplifier location

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
magicmatt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Help with RF Amplifier location

Post by magicmatt » Sun May 03, 2020 4:30 am

Hello!

I am having signal strength issues with my Ceton infiniTV4, so I am looking at getting an amplifier to boost the signal.

My question is in regards to if I can place the amplifier inline directly before the tuner card (and tuning adapter)? It would replace the current 2-way splitter.....see diagrams below, the first is my current setup, and the one with the blue addition is what I'm asking about doing. I didn't know if it was a bad idea to try to amplify a signal that was already at -7 dbmv going into the amp?

This solution would be easiest as it wouldn't require me to go into the attic to install an amp and have to rewire everything. I really don't need anything else boosted with the current setup.

Is this doable, or do amplifiers truly need to be installed closer to the POE?

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
cable.png
dcable.png

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun May 03, 2020 3:45 pm

I don't use those tuners but when I installed my RF amp I placed the antenna into the input of the amplifier and then the outputs to my tuners. It gave me 100% signal on all local channels and I was able to pull in some previously "out of reach" channels from other cities.

Because my tuners are connected to my HTPC, the amp is mounted to the back of my entertainment center with less than two feet of coax between the amp and my tuners.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 am

Best case most cable companies can visit and verify levels other then any covid 19 restrictions currently in play, They will provide any needed amps free of charge.

I would reconsider your configuration first before adding an amp. Your cable modem outlet is on the 3.5 leg of the first split. What is the signal hitting your cable modem? It should work best -10 to +10. If you can afford to loose 3.5 you can swap it with the leg feeding the 2nd 2 way that then feeds the Ceton. Even better if all lines are home run change the 2 way feeding bed 1 and 2 to a 3 way and put bed 3 on it allowing the ceton to be on the first split. this will gain you 7dbmv and should negate the need for an amp. If an amp is still needed I would highly recommend it go at point of entry. Install something like a 2 way to a 4 port amp and feed all but your modem with it. Keep in mind most amps can be back fed power on one of the ports with a power inserter which usually comes in the box.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 am

Is your number the levels at each outlet or total loss? If total loss modem is -3.5 bed 1,2,3 is -10.5 and ceton is -14. with all changes ceton would be -7 loss.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:45 am

I use this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commscope-Home ... 0677.m4598
Its the same one Comcast uses for all homes to balance the signal

Bigger one https://www.commscope.com/product-type/ ... mapdu9vpi/
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:35 pm

I bought an amplifier because of weak signal problems, but then had a lightning strike that took out a cable box. So I had the cable company repairman out. He measured the signal strength and dirtiness, and determined that their cable outside was the problem and ran all new cable, took off the amplifier, and everything worked perfectly then. He said the amplifier was boosting the signal too high, but because it was so dirty it still would not tune correctly.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:00 am

unclebun wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:35 pm I bought an amplifier because of weak signal problems, but then had a lightning strike that took out a cable box. So I had the cable company repairman out. He measured the signal strength and dirtiness, and determined that their cable outside was the problem and ran all new cable, took off the amplifier, and everything worked perfectly then. He said the amplifier was boosting the signal too high, but because it was so dirty it still would not tune correctly.
No ground cable outside ?
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Rickt1962 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:00 am
unclebun wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:35 pm I bought an amplifier because of weak signal problems, but then had a lightning strike that took out a cable box. So I had the cable company repairman out. He measured the signal strength and dirtiness, and determined that their cable outside was the problem and ran all new cable, took off the amplifier, and everything worked perfectly then. He said the amplifier was boosting the signal too high, but because it was so dirty it still would not tune correctly.
No ground cable outside ?
Grounded at the post that has the cable connections for the building.