Turning off TV plays audio through PC speaker

proboscis

HTPC Specs: Show details

Turning off TV plays audio through PC speaker

Post by proboscis » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:46 pm

So I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell optiplex 3020 with the built-in Intel HD 4600 video, and I have a strange problem. If I turn off the TV, I hear a sound like when you unplug a USB stick. Then the live TV audio starts playing through the PC speaker. I'm imagining that turning off the TV causes the HDMI port to think it's disconnected so that's why it's happening. I couldn't seem to find anything in the Intel control panel to fix this.

When I use my cheapo Nividia add-in video card, this does not happen. I'd rather use the Intel graphics, so any idea if this could be fixed? Thanks!

proboscis

Post by proboscis » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:25 am

So after much googling, it looks like something called EDID which needs to be over-ridden. But the Intel forums are littered with complaints how this was an issue 10 years ago and still not fixed. Although I did see one fix by blocking off pin 19 on the HDMI cable, I don't think I want to do that

Space

Post by Space » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:55 am

So you are tuning off the TV while video is still playing? Do you want the video to still play while the TV is off?

It's not clear exactly what your problem is. I mean if you just want sound to not come out of your PC soundcard, you can just disable the soundcard, but I am not sure that is what you are asking.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Press the stop button on your remote before you turn off the TV.

proboscis

Post by proboscis » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Space wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:55 am So you are tuning off the TV while video is still playing? Do you want the video to still play while the TV is off?

It's not clear exactly what your problem is. I mean if you just want sound to not come out of your PC soundcard, you can just disable the soundcard, but I am not sure that is what you are asking.
yep, that's it. Basically treating it like a cable box. When it's time to go to bed, just turn off the TV. I'd rather not have to do multiple steps, but I guess it is what it is. Thanks

proboscis

Post by proboscis » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:36 pm

unclebun wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:01 pm Press the stop button on your remote before you turn off the TV.
Thanks!

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:34 am

I would not treat it as a cable box in that way, it is constantly reading/writing to the hard disc (or SSD) while video is playing and will put unnecessary wear and tear on it adversely affecting the life of the device.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Personally, If your using HDMI as your primary source for Audio and video, I would go into the system BIOS and DISABLE the onboard speaker... Most bios allows that option. I don't have a Dell right in front of me to check out.

I have always used a 3rd party card so I could do a upgrade, then disabling all onboard audio, don't really deal with that problem ever...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012