infiniTV4 firmware update failure - now not detected

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
magicmatt

HTPC Specs: Show details

infiniTV4 firmware update failure - now not detected

Post by magicmatt » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi all!

Here's my issue up front: Is there any way to factory reset the firmware without using the Ceton utility or the diagnostic webpage? I tried to update my infiniTV4 firmware, and now I cannot access the diagnositcs webpage, nor will the diagnostic utility see the PCIe card. The browser froze during the upgrade, and after 10 minutes I killed with with Task Manager and rebooted (multiple times). Chrome freezes now when trying to navigate to 192.168.200.1, even upon a fresh boot. Is there a way to factory reset the firmware? Or is there any other way to try to flash the firmware with a different version now???

More detail:

I just installed my infiniTV4 and was in the process of upgrading the firmware. First, I downloaded version 1.1.8.2 from the Ceton website and loaded that using the Diagnostic webpage. It seemed to go OK, as I was able to go through setup and re-add the tuners to WMC. Then, based on post #2 in this thread (viewtopic.php?t=11515), I downloaded the mentioned firmware updates (ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_13_5_6_132, ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_14_4_6_21 & ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_15_1_13_152).

I was in the process of upgrading the 13_5_6_132 firmware when it seemed to hang. The browser (Chrome) was frozen and remained that way for over 10 minutes, so as I mentioned I killed it and rebooted. I can still see the card in Device Manager, but the Ceton utility does not see it.

I'm really hoping I didn't just brick the card. I was following the instructions in the post I linked above, which seemed to indicate that the firmware mentioned was compatible with the infiniTV4, however I've since found other threads that would indicate that they may not be compatible - such as post #7 in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12378). Also in that same thread, post #9 gives his OneDrive repository where he has different firmware folders for infiniTV4 vs 6.

To make things worse, I was just trying to uninstall the PCIe card via Device Manager and that froze. Uninstalling the Ceton software from the control panel froze as well. I might be having to wipe and completely reinstall the OS, but I'm hoping someone has a solution for me!!! Is my card toast?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Uninstall the tuner card from the computer. Then, try to uninstall the Ceton software. Reinstall the card into the system and then re-install the Ceton software. Other users have reported that there is a factory reset option presented in the installation wizard.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

magicmatt

Post by magicmatt » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the card and the Ceton software. I just reinserted the PCIe card with cable card inserted and Windows recognized the unknown PCIe device, however when attempting to run the Ceton installer it freezes once trying to install ("Please wait while the Setup Wizard installs Ceton InfiniTV (x64).")

I didn't see any option for resetting the card or firmware when running the installation exe. It just asked which features I wanted to install (which I selected the default - everytihng but the Network Tuning Wizard).

I guess that means the card is bricked? Is there no other way to reset the card or to load firmware?

It just sucks because I've had this card since 2011 and never used it until now.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:41 pm

It is possible the card is toast, but be glad you got 9 years out of it. You could always install the card in another computer as a test.

As I mentioned in this thread, the Ceton cards have a crappy NVRAM chip:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12378

magicmatt

Post by magicmatt » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:58 pm

That's the problem, I've gotten zero years out of it.

It's a long story, but I was an early backer and pre-ordered prior to production. I paid $400 for this card in 2011 and it has sat in a box the entire time. I just never needed it, we didn't expand our entertainment situation like I thought (with the increase in streaming and whatnot). I even built a $700 HTPC and have only really used it as a media server since then.

Fast forward to last week, our cable box went out, and with all this new found down time I figured hey, let's finish that HTPC build. Better late than never, right?
So here I am, finally getting WMC setup for live TV.....only to find that MS has stopped supporting it years ago, and stopped the guide data feed. FML haha. I've read a couple of workarounds but need to get this card up and running first.

I just ordered another infinitv4 card off of ebay for $30. I've already kicked myself numerous times whenever I thought about this card sitting in the closet over the years. Money down the drain, but you live and learn. Luckily I'm not hurting for the $400, but it still stings.

Hopefully I'll get a card that doesn't need it's firmware updated and I can just install it and get going.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:33 am

magicmatt wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:58 pm I just ordered another infinitv4 card off of ebay for $30.
I would have at least tried to install the card in another computer, as a test, before buying another one.

Joram

Post by Joram » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:54 pm

Late to the conversation and maybe off-topic, but I have to say it's amazing that it's still possible to download firmware from Ceton. I thought they were out of business, but their website is still up.

magicmatt

Post by magicmatt » Sun May 03, 2020 4:38 am

Yeah but the Ceton website only has one version which seems to be outdated. This forum has proven to be more valuable in terms of sourcing the latest firmware.

Update to the situation - I got the new card installed and everything seems to be working in that regard. It had the v14 firmware already loaded, and I'm able to access a lot of my channels with no issue once paired with the cable card. However, I'm currently having tuning adapter woes. I can't seem to tune to a handful of channels, and I suspect it may be signal strength related due to having to install another splitter to attach the tuning adapter. I'm currently trying to see my options for adding an amplifier to see if I can get this working for good or not.