At a loss for words, "The product key is already being used on another PC. Try..."

jeepman

HTPC Specs: Show details

At a loss for words, "The product key is already being used on another PC. Try..."

Post by jeepman » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:48 am

So now that I know that my move to Window 8 will work, I do a Custom install on my only working MCE box, and I get the message "The product key is already being used on another PC. Try a different key, or buy a new one."

So I sill have my VM, but it is not running. How do I uninstall the key in the Microsoft database? I know there is a command to unregister the key locally, but how could it be bad/used after my only install?

[Moderator note: duplicate topics merged]

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:14 am

So I am trying the "Contact customer support..." and will report back how that goes. I honestly thought a key was good for several activations, and I Googled my key, and it is not found, so I wonder why this is happening?

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:43 pm

So after my little freak out about this non activation message, I went ahead and did the activation over the phone, and it worked just fine. There was a point where it asked me how many computers I have activated with it, and I said just one. Not sure what they're looking for with that question but I think saying just one did the trick.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Seriously, now my Windows 8.1 Pro pack key is not working. This is going to be the death of me! Now I have to figure out why the key that worked on a VM no longer works on bare metal. And unfortunately this is not giving any activation phone number to call to use this key.

Anyone have any ideas on how to use a valid Windows 8.1 Pro pack key that's not being accepted in the add more features window?

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Hehe, I am still on Windows 8.0 Pro! I hate daylight savings time, I need my coffee.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:16 am

The title says it all: I built a VM with windows 8.0, and then upgraded to 8.1 via MS Store Download, then I added new features via the 8.1 Pro Pack. I have deleted my VM, but as you saw on another thread, I had to use telephone activation for activating 8.0 Pro, and now I see that I may have to do the same for the Pro Pack. Is this normal?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 am

I just read your previous message about Windows 8. If it says Windows 8 with Media Center is installed (just not activated), you have to call the activation line again and yes they only ask that one question and yes it's automated

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 am

Thanks! The weird part is that I was fine, I had System Properties showing 8.1 Pro with Media Center, then I ran the Windows Transfer Settings program to get m W7 32 Bit MCE stuff back. It worked and I was able to even watch a quick couple of minutes of Antique's Roadshow that was recorded with my old system. I thought I was just fine, but when I logged in via another account, it said Windows needed to be Activated.

I will go down the Phone Call route again, but I am annoyed because the person I bought it from said it was uninstalled, etc, and my first install had no issues.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:40 pm

choliscott wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 am I just read your previous message about Windows 8. If it says Windows 8 with Media Center is installed (just not activated), you have to call the activation line again and yes they only ask that one question and yes it's automated
I was thinking about your response more: I know I saw Windows 8.1 Pro was activated before I entered the Pro Pack Key, and the Desktop shows Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, but I don't recall if I saw Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center showed as Activated or not. Based on the message, I guess it was not.

So the next thought is when I am entering the Pro Pack Key, it says the Key is OK, and allows the product addons to continue, so I am thinking this is not the same as Activation?

Finally, I thought I deleted the VM I had set up, but I just shut it down. Is there something I need to do in the VM that "de-commissions" the Product Key within Microsoft's Databases? Such as "slmgr.vbs" with an option.

For example, here is a Link for windows 10, but there is a comment further down in the comments section that says it is just a Deactivation, but does not remove it from Microsoft's Activation database. I guess I may not be able to do what I want, and that is to delete my VM and rollback MS'es DB to a moment in time that I ever used the Key on that system. I just don't want to hit a Key Limit while I get everything set up.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:09 am

So I have a fully activated system now, and almost done configuring. I am at my final issue where my Gyration MCE Remote with air mouse is not putting the system to sleep, wake up from sleep, or even open Media Center when the Green Button is pressed. It worked fine with W7 MCE, but it was set up so long ago, I am not sure if I had to do anything different.

Anyone else using a Gyration MCE remote with Windows 8.1 Media Center?

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:36 pm

So I recalled an old "dumppo.exe" command I had to run before, and so I ran "dummpo.exe admin minsleep=S3" and now the Gyration is able to put the system to sleep, and wake the system. I am not sure why this helped, since an MCE remote with an eHome IR Receiver was able to sleep/wake, but I will take it either way.

FINALLY! A working Media Center again... Now to just get back to all the Springtime yardwork...