Ceton InfiniTV 4 - Charter Communications - Missing Channel

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bchaseski

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV 4 - Charter Communications - Missing Channel

Post by bchaseski » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 am

I'm hoping someone here can help me! I am unable to tune one channel with SDV Error 1. I opened ticket # #EIV-267-21845 with Ceton support and their reply after a lengthy wait was "Is channel 768 the only channel you receive SDV 1 errors on? An SDV 1 error means tuning resolution cannot be determined at this time (Channel not available)."

That isn't the most helpful response I've ever received, and needless to say I'm disappointed there are no further steps or suggestions provided. Is this something where I need to get Charter involved? I had them "HIT" the TA earlier today to no avail as well. Is the next step to have a tech come to the house?

Thanks for any suggestions and help you can all provide!

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi there,
SDV errors (actually the tune_status return code) are failures actively returned by the tuning adapter to the InfiniTV. They are a problem totally within the realm of the cable operator, be it a RF problem, TA issue, or SDV server issue. While in some cases, we may be able helpful suggestions, such as if the signal strength is week, there really isn't much other troubleshooting that you can do as an end user.
I've looked over this ticket, and your signal strength looks acceptable, so this is something we will likely have to escalate to your cable operator though. Before doing that, we need to collect additional information, such as is only one channel affected, hence the question from our support team to you.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

bchaseski

Post by bchaseski » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi and thank you.
Yes, 768 is the only channel that I am not able to tune. One additional note - in the Ceton Diagnostic Tool - I have noticed in step#8 a new message that I have never seen before:

"Received channel list. There are a low number of channels in the list which indicates you might need a Tuning Adapter to receive all channels. If unsure consult your cable company."

Charter is coming today between 1 and 3. I will post my results after the tech leaves.

Thanks again for any support, suggestions, ideas!

bchaseski

Post by bchaseski » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Charter came and replaced the Tuning Adapter yesterday with the same results. The tech didn't have a new cable card on him to try replacing the cable card. They are coming again today with a new cable card to go down that route.

I will post updates once they leave.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:17 pm

bchaseski, Did you post the answer to Ceton's question on the support site for Ceton? They will get your answer faster if you deal directly with them instead of posting here. They will actually contact your cable company for you if needed... but only after they get all the information from you.

bchaseski

Post by bchaseski » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:38 am

I did post to the Ceton support website as well.

Closing the loop on this issue - turns out Charter had a bad mapping for two channels. The frequencies were totally different on a cable card vs. the digital set top boxes. Luckily the 4th tech that came to my house also had a Ceton card @ home. He called his wife, tried tuning the channel, and no dice. One minute phone call to the 'head" and within two hours, voilà, a fixed Golf Channel HD!

The funny thing was during that phone call - they tuned their Tivo to the missing channel and got the same error - I'm shocked they didn't try that right away!!!!!!!!!!