Other Alternatives for WMC needed :(

kam24

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kam24 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 am

tonywagner wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 pm
kam24 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:58 pm The channel was my standard OTA NBC channel. It always scanned prior. The signal was strong (it is my strongest channel signal-wise). I really only get NBC, FOX, CBS, CW and PBS plus their sub-channels. The only time I would be missing channels during the scan would be if the signal was too weak. So, it was weird.
What's the NBC affiliate? My local NBC (KARE) is on a VHF frequency, so I had to add it manually in WMC too.

If you enter your location here, it should show your local channels -- and if the "RF Channel" underneath a callsign is 13 or lower, then it's VHF:
https://www.antennaweb.org/

WMC only ever really "scanned" the UHF frequencies. It downloaded any VHF frequencies in its setup data, based on your zip code, and included them in your scan results -- but it didn't technically scan them. Now that the online setup data is gone, along with the guide data, WMC will only show UHF channels after a scan. Signal strength has nothing to do with it.
Very interesting! I never knew that if it was under 13, it was VHF. Yes, here NBC (WGAL) is channel 8 (8.1, 8.2). All my other OTA are above 13, so that is why they all came in.

When my CBS/CW channels relocated last year, I ended up having to write to them for the RF channel info and manually add them as well. But, this time, they populated.

In the past, if I moved my antenna, it would change what came in on my scanned list - so that is why I always assumed it was based on what signals it was able to grab.

I feel SO much better...I assumed it was something I had done wrong in the setup. I like knowing WHY.

Thank you!!!