Media Center no longer finding all channels on HD Homerun

Tokyojoe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center no longer finding all channels on HD Homerun

Post by Tokyojoe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 pm

I have been reading a bunch, and would like to get epg123 working with my 2 windows 7 machines and am having issues. I have 2 dual tuner HD homeruns on my home network and they have been working great, but here is my problem, I tried to install epg123, and found that once my database was cleared Media Center stilee finds the 4 tuners, but when Media Center scans for channels, it only finds the channels on one of the units. if I unplug the first, it finds the channels on the second, but not both tuners. I have tried swapping the antenna cables, and have unplugged on of the tuners, no matter what I try, it seems that I can't get media center scan both devices correctly. This only started happening after I tried the install. If I input the channels manually, I can view them. You help is appreciated

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:36 pm

Why would the channels on the first HDHR be different from the channels on the second?

When WMC does a scan, it only uses a single tuner. What you may need to do is let is do the initial scan with one of the tuners, disable that tuner and then go to settings->TV->TV Signal->Scan for More Channels and then click [Scan again]. This will force a scan of the other tuner I think. You should then have the combined scans for both HDHR devices.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Tokyojoe

Post by Tokyojoe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:37 am

I have 2 antennas, one I use for US channels, and one for Canadian channels. Up to now everything was working fine and it scanned everything without problems. I assigned each channel to its associated tuner. I was just going to unplug one and try that, will let you know

Tokyojoe

Post by Tokyojoe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:44 pm

First of All, want to thank you Gary, most of my issues have disappeared. I found that I swapped the units so the the one with the lower device number is now connected to the antenna capable of getting the most signals.

I have one other issue. Media center is now not finding on channel, that is found by my HDHomeruns. I added it manually to media center, but I am not getting an program info for it. In EPG123, the line is blank besides the channel. Not sure how to correct this. For some background, this is the strongest channel near me.

wmc1000

Post by wmc1000 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Tokyojoe, I had this issue about a month ago and I emailed SchedulesDirect for assistance since they are the guide info provider. Got an email reply quickly from Robert and they added the channel guide info I needed pretty quickly. First, however, check and make sure that the channel is showing up in your EPG and EPG client setup.

PS000

Post by PS000 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:58 pm

I have a problem with epg123/Win7 64 a bit like the one reported above by Tokyojoe. I'me in the UK and using a quad Blackgold tuner that has two satellite receivers (I use for FreeSat) and two terrestrial digital receivers (for FreeView). It's an old tuner but was working fine, so a few days ago I took the plunge and installed epg123 and subscribed to Schedules Direct. I followed the epg123 installation/setup guide but when MCE scanned the digital terrestrial channels it failed to find any. (MCE does correctly find and identify the four tuners). It finds the satellite channels ok but I cannot find any way of getting MCE to find the terrestrial/freeview channels.

I've checked the antenna, the Blackgold drivers and done all the obvious things like a fresh epg123 install, re-boot etc. As far as I can tell the problem happened immediately after using epg123 to do the MCE scan. I've since tried doing a MCE tuner scan not via epg123, but although it still finds all four tuners and the satellite channels ok, it doesn't find any terrestrial channels. Any ideas/assistance gratefully received.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 pm

PS000 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:58 pm I have a problem with epg123/Win7 64 a bit like the one reported above by Tokyojoe. I'me in the UK and using a quad Blackgold tuner that has two satellite receivers (I use for FreeSat) and two terrestrial digital receivers (for FreeView). It's an old tuner but was working fine, so a few days ago I took the plunge and installed epg123 and subscribed to Schedules Direct. I followed the epg123 installation/setup guide but when MCE scanned the digital terrestrial channels it failed to find any. (MCE does correctly find and identify the four tuners). It finds the satellite channels ok but I cannot find any way of getting MCE to find the terrestrial/freeview channels.

I've checked the antenna, the Blackgold drivers and done all the obvious things like a fresh epg123 install, re-boot etc. As far as I can tell the problem happened immediately after using epg123 to do the MCE scan. I've since tried doing a MCE tuner scan not via epg123, but although it still finds all four tuners and the satellite channels ok, it doesn't find any terrestrial channels. Any ideas/assistance gratefully received.
You could try Gary's advice above -- temporarily disable the FreeSat tuners (in Windows Device Manager, maybe?), and then do a "scan for more channels" within WMC.

If that doesn't work, as a test you could also try re-doing the TV setup in WMC, choose the manual option, and only select your FreeView tuners. Then see if it correctly scans them.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Tokyojoe wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:44 pm.
I have one other issue. Media center is now not finding on channel, that is found by my HDHomeruns. I added it manually to media center, but I am not getting an program info for it. In EPG123, the line is blank besides the channel. Not sure how to correct this. For some background, this is the strongest channel near me.
Did you re-try "Match by channel number" or "Match by call sign" in EPG123? If you added it after the other channels, you'd have to repeat that step to associate it with listings.

Also, when you added it manually in WMC, you had to manually give it a channel number and call sign, and perhaps you used one that didn't match the Schedules Direct data. Fortunately, in EPG123, you can right-click a channel in the left pane and choose "Rename" or "Renumber" to make it match the desired Schedules Direct channel in the right pane, then re-do the "Match by number" or "Match by call sign" step.

PS000

Post by PS000 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi tonywagner, thanks for the ideas. I was thinking along the same lines (manual scan, selecting only Freeview tuners), but I also picked up on the earlier suggestion to Tokyjoe and scanned with only one of the tuners enabled. Coincidence or what, one of the two terrestrial tuners seems to have failed (to the exact day I installed epg123 - but obviously nothing to do with epg123, just an implausible coincidence). I know it was working just before - I did an MCE setup/scan (before discovering epg123) the previous day and have recordings that I then made on terrestrial channels.

Anyway, I now appear to have a three channel tv card! Interestingly, MCE still reports that all four channels are working, and so does the Windows Device Manager, so some funny gremlin. I'm going to test whether both terrestrial tuners actually still receive ok and whether it's just a scan problem, or whether one tuner is really dead. I'll report back.

PS000

Post by PS000 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Does anyone know how to activate/turn on a tuner, without going through MCE (which starts another scan)? Some setting in the registry maybe?

Tokyojoe

Post by Tokyojoe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:12 pm

I payed around with everything when I had time, got everything working, except the HD Homerun DVR function on a non Media Centre Machine. Just want to thank everyone for the help.