Cannot Update PlayReady After Win7 EOL

Paint

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot Update PlayReady After Win7 EOL

Post by Paint » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:26 am

I recently upgraded some hardware in my machine and I had to reactivate Windows 7.

I was able to get my tuners working, but I cannot Update PlayReady. I have tried using the ResetDRM.exe, CleanDRM.exe, renamed the playready file (mspr.hds), and even went through the following instructions:

thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11654

Code: Select all

1) Get to the point in media center that it says Playready failed to update, do you wish to try again?

OPTIONAL - Download the Reset DRM Tool from Microsoft, Change Compatibility Mode to Windows 7 (or lesser version of Windows), Run the Tool As Admin. It should Install and say Successful.

2) Open up Windows "Services" via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

3) With Media Center Open and Showing "The PlayReady update was incomplete. Do you want to try again?", go to the Services panel you just opened and scroll all the way down to "Windows Media Center Receiver Services" (ehRecvr), double click on it, then click "Stop"

4) Navigate to the ReadyPlay HIDDEN folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady) and then rename the mspr.hds file to mspr.old

5) Go back to the STILL OPEN & RUNNING, Media Center and click "Yes" and "Next" to the Update PlayReady question. It should immediately zip past and say update complete.

6) Restart Windows Media Center
However, I cannot play or record any "CopyOnce" content. It seems like Microsoft killed the PlayReady updates now that Windows 7 is EOL.

Any ideas on how to fix this or am I SOL?

Paint

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Paint » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:54 am

I was able to get CopyOnce and PlayReady working again! After following the above 6 steps, close WMC and run each of the following commands one at a time:

Code: Select all

net stop ehrecvr
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
net start ehrecvr