Viewing WTV Metadata

Charles

HTPC Specs: Show details

Viewing WTV Metadata

Post by Charles » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:59 pm

So a while back I posted an update to Stephen Toub's EditDVRMSMetadata to make using with .wtv files easier. I've used that tool a lot for viewing and editing WMC's metadata. The downside is that a lot of the information it presents is not in a human-readable format. Fields like EncodeDate, or BitRate, Thumbnails, etc. are stored as QWORDS, which can be interpreted in different ways depending on the exact field.

So I've worked on the attached app that will translate those QWORD and DWORD values into human-readable values. Editing is not supported -- only viewing.

Also, you can view and extract the Thumbnails metadata. Which, ironically enough, is completely uninteresting data -- in all my recordings, it's just a screenshot from a specific point in time in the video. And a low-res one at that. It even saves when that timestamp is.

As for what I set out to accomplish with this program, it's finished. I have no specific intention of making these fields editable (even though that would be nice to have). I only wish I'd gotten into WMC programming about a decade ago, before I could deny that .wtv is pretty much a dead format.

It should load okay, even opening up wtv files re-encoded by FFMPEG (which converts all metadata types to String). If there are any hard crashes, or features suggestions, I'm always open to hearing them, but know that I may not be able to invest the time to implement.

I hope some people find this program useful.
Attachments
WtvDetails10.zip
(654.79 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

zimberto

Post by zimberto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you for this little gem!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Nice. RE: images, I was looking to see if there was a way I could get WMC to save the series/movie coverart instead but that was a dead end. The low-res screen capture is pretty much useless... just what is used in Recorded TV to show an image.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:59 pm

Would it be difficult to include file data/codec type or does anyone know a simple way to get this info? I mainly want to know if the recording is mp2/mp4/???

I'm not seeing the info if it is there. Not knowledgeable about video files so if I'm being stupid just let me know.

Certainly not a big deal, but for my use an option to not start auto-playing the file would be nice.

Either way, a very nice utility. Thanks for making it available!

Thanks