Will this Laptop handle Ceton USB Tuner and recording?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
dsilvermaster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Will this Laptop handle Ceton USB Tuner and recording?

Post by dsilvermaster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:28 am

Hi,
I hope I have posted this in the right place. If not then Admin please move it appropriately. I want to create a Ceton USB based Media Center system based on a laptop I have that's only a couple months old. I'm just not sure if it will be as simple as adding the Ceton USB tuner, the tuner adapter and a coax connection. (Time Warner San Diego). I already have a cable card in my recently deceased TIVO Premier. Although I think with TW they have to do a truck roll if you switch devices. Anyway, below is the info on my laptop. Your feedback on whether or not this machine can do the job would be greatly appreciated. It will be dedicated to Media Center functionality.

Brand: Gateway NV77H19u

As reported by System Performance Test: (Sorry but the Performance Test formatting did not carry over to this posting but you can still see the scores)
Performance score: 5.8

More details about my computer
Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz 7.0
Memory (RAM) 3.85 GB 5.9
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 5.8
Gaming graphics 1760 MB Total available graphics memory 6.3
Primary hard disk 403GB Free (451GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium
System
Manufacturer Gateway
Model NV77H
Total amount of system memory 3.85 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 451 GB
Disk partition (C:) 403 GB Free (451 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Total available graphics memory 1760 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.2418
Primary monitor resolution 1600x900
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network
Network Adapter Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Network Adapter Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Notes
The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

Obviously it is the graphics in this machine that concerns me. Although I can watch Internet TV, NetFlix, HuluPlus etc. through MS Media Center 7 running from the HDMI port of the laptop and I do not experience any stuttering or other picture related issues. And the colors appear to be very close to the LCD display (but I'm running the HDMI output to a DLP television)

It has two USB 2 ports and one USB 3 port.
I was going to use one USB 2 port for the Ceton USB Tuner and the other USB 2 port for a 2TB external drive. Unfortunately no firewire on this laptop.

The machine would be completely wiped clean and Windows 7 Ultimate would be loaded.
There are no plans for tuner sharing or extenders at this time.
The laptop would be solely used as a Media Center device.

I used Media Center years ago with Win XP but went to a TIVO Premier for ease of use. Now that device has crashed and needs a new HD and I am getting tired of the $20 a month TIVO fees. TIVO's Elite model has the 4 tuners but it's still a closed system with no customization abilities. WIth the price drop of the Ceton USB Tuner this seems like a great solution.

But will the hardware be able to handle these tasks? Media Center runs fine on the laptop and I use all the Internet based services without a hitch. It's the introduction of recording HD video that I'm just not sure about.

Any comments appreciated.
Doug

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 am

From the hardware listed I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:35 pm

I'll add to what newfiend says... I don't see any issue with your specs. :thumbup:
Example... I have a Toshiba laptop that only scored a 2.9 for graphics... Obviously, the Digital Cable Advisor scoffed at my low score, and wouldn't let me finish the setup. So, I tricked the XML file to show my graphics score as 4.0. After doing this, DCA let me finish the setup of WMC.

I've had no trouble watching HD content via my HDHR Prime over a wireless connection on my laptop. The only trouble I have is that there is a little bit of slow-down if I'm trying to do other things when watching TV in a window. But, this laptop wasn't built for raw power. Its a 11.6 inch laptop... half-way between a netbook and a "real" laptop. Nice blend of power and mobility.

Here are some specs of this laptop for your comparison:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
AMD Athlon Neo X2
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon 3200 (256MB shared w/ system)
320GB 5400RPM SATA drive

EDIT: Follow-up question. Will you be using this as your primary HTPC? Or is it just for watching the occasional show? I guess my only concern might be heat and ventilation. Most new laptops tend to run pretty toasty, and I would be concerned with the longevity of your hardware.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:12 am

Your setup looks fine to me. I've read that the Ceton USB tuner has an issue with some USB 3.0 ports, so make sure to plug it in to a USB 2.0 port. I would recommend the same thing for your Tuning Adapter. You could plug the external hard drive into the USB 3.0 port, even if the external enclosure is only USB 2.0 compliant.

dsilvermaster

Post by dsilvermaster » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks for all your replies. UC you make a good point regarding the heat issue. I do notice the fans firing up on this laptop when I'm using Netflix or HuluPlus. Seems odd in that it has an i-5 CPU. Anyway, I think I'm going to go with a desktop HTPC. I'm in discussion with Asassin PC now talking about the pros and cons of buying one of their custom systems (The Elite) or building my own. Their price seems reasonable but they don't tell you what the exact components are in the box until you actually pay for it. I understand the logic in that but still makes me a bit uncomfortable purchasing a pre-built box without knowing the brand, model etc. of the components. Anyway, their pre-sales customer service is top-notch and I can only assume post-sale service is comparable. Anyone have any comments regarding this? (Admin - sorry for changing topic on this thread.)
Thanks

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:06 am

I have heard good things about Assassin HTPC. I personally like to build my own, but thats just me.. It depends on how good you are with assembly, software installation and configuration, how much patience you have etc.. If you want an out of the box HTPC that works it's nice to have one built for you that you just hook up and go.. But I prefer to pick my own components, Then I know what I have in my box. It's just my personal opinion though and I don't mind learning new things or posting here or at AVS to find answers I am unsure of etc. Assassin has been a frequent poster over at AVS forum and is very smart.. I have no doubt that he would build you a nice rig. It's really up to you on how you feel about somone else picking out the guts for your machine..
newfiend~