Any drawbacks/tradeoffs to using portable version?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
prsa01

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any drawbacks/tradeoffs to using portable version?

Post by prsa01 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm still reading your site and searching the forums but have not seen this addressed. I apologize if I am repeating earlier questions already answered. If there is a pertinent discussion somewhere please point me to it.

When possible, I like to use portable versions of programs to compartmentalize functions. Just wanting to know if I would be giving up usability, functionality, or adding complexity by going this route.

Do you expect to continue with both versions?
Other than some answers to questions in the forums being different than stock, other possible confusion it could cause?
Does the portable version truly compartmentalize everything or are there settings, etc that end up in user folders or whatever?

Thanks much!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:23 pm

I really only make the portable version because some folks asked for it, and that is the only way it was for probably the first year of development. Really the only thing you lose is the the Start Menu shortcuts from the installation package. It doesn't install any dll's or anything in system folders or anything like that with either version.

I prefer the installation package for the simple fact that any time you upgrade, it will know where your current install is and install it there. The confusion with portables is folks put the new files somewhere else and now run 2 different versions... manually they will use the new one, but their scheduled task is still pointing to the old version. Then you have 2 different trace.log files, 2 different settings, ....

I'll continue to provide both. I've setup a batch file to do all the build and packaging so it is no more work for me to do so.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:54 pm

prsa01 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:33 pmWhen possible, I like to use portable versions of programs to compartmentalize functions. Just wanting to know if I would be giving up usability, functionality, or adding complexity by going this route.
I am exactly like you. I use (and build) portable apps when available and have been using Garyan's portable EPG123 since either version 1.01 or 1.02. In any event it's been a few years.

I've updated to every version by downloading the newest portable version and extracting the contents into my EPG123 folder. Never had any issues (that weren't of my own making). You will not "be giving up usability, functionality, or adding complexity by going this route".