Commerical skip, Magic Jack Caller ID, remote potato

snakethis69

HTPC Specs: Show details

Commerical skip, Magic Jack Caller ID, remote potato

Post by snakethis69 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 pm

I am unclear on one thing with the commercial skip, I know I can get it working if it supports it but can I skip shows that come in off cable card that are protected?

I also am assuming that there is no way to watch the protected content on remote potato?

Is there support for the magic jack for caller ID? I am assuming I can use one of the methods that is already in existence because the caller ID comes in over my telephone.

Just some stuff I am unclear on and dont want to waste countless hours looking around for how tos that may work if there are people who have already tried.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 am

Copy protected content can only be accessed by WMC, so commercial skipping is out, as is Remote Potato. Even WMP can't access copy protected content.

I don't know about caller ID.

snakethis69

Post by snakethis69 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 am

so why the big push for commercial skipping? is there anyway to convert and strip the copy protection to enable skipping / remote viewing?

STC

Post by STC » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 am

snakethis69 wrote:so why the big push for commercial skipping?
1) Some of us are fortunate enough to have little or no DRM.

2) Commercial Skipping is very addictive. Once you've had a taste, there is no going back :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 am

A lot of people like the idea of commercial skipping, and not everyone has copy protected content. There is no way around the copy protection.

snakethis69

Post by snakethis69 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 am

Man I would love to be able to do commercial skip, I may configure it just incase I do get content that is not protected. Ill also trial and error this caller ID.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 am

I have been trying to configure, although unsuccessfully so far, for my network channels as we do watch a lot of network tv in my house and those channels are not protected. I would love to get this working and for me, the $10 comskip early access seemed like a good deal...but alas... I've not given up just yet. I just need to find more time to play.
Greg

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:06 pm

stonethecrows wrote:
snakethis69 wrote:so why the big push for commercial skipping?
1) Some of us are fortunate enough to have little or no DRM.

2) Commercial Skipping is very addictive. Once you've had a taste, there is no going back :)
I have a combination of CableCARD and ClearQAM tuners. All my local channels come in BOTH ClearQAM and Copy-Once. I have those channels setup to pick a ClearQAM tuner first, if one is available. I get automatic commercial skipping on all of the shows that come in as ClearQAM. I also get skipping on some of the shows that record via the CableCARD tuners. I agree with StoneTheCrows... it's addicting. The first time your TV automatically skips a commercial, you will understand. Everyone who has ever come to my house and seen it happen has been in awe.