Moving on from Widows 7 Media Center ?

Indymil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Moving on from Widows 7 Media Center ?

Post by Indymil » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 pm

I have several Silicon Dust tuners I'm using with multiple Windows 7 PC's with Media Center. With Windows 7 aging, I'm looking for other options. I have cable service (using HDHomeRun Primes) and have been fairly well satisfied. Thinking ahead, I'm wondering about a Windows 10 platform. Is the Silicon Dust DVR service compatible with/incorporates a cable service (i.e. cable channel listing incorporated into the Silicon Dust DVR)? Thanks for any responses including other DVR options.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Silicon Dust DVR can be used with cable, and it has a guide. However, currently there is no DVR that runs on Win10 that can record copy protected (copy-once) programming. Silicon Dust says it is working on it, but they have been saying that for a very long time.

There are many DVR options for Win10 if you don't need to record copy protected programming (some cable companies copy protect almost all their channels, others only protect a handful, so you will have to determine what your provider does). Otherwise, there is no Win10 option, as the ONLY options for recording copy protected programming are the cable company's own DVR (stand alone box), TiVo (stand alone box), or WMC (on Win7 or Win8), so your options are very limited. It makes you wonder why Microsoft seems confused as to why people want to stick with Win7/Win8 and not move to Win10.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:56 am

A few good reasons to stick with WMC, and stay away from Samsung. This isn't to say the SD isn't trying to make up some of the difference but as space mentioned, its not complete. To each their own but I think the future of TV, and application development is advertising drive. Hopefully Andriod gets this right in terms of user experience but I wouldn't count on them for much privacy. https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... mb/581059/

Indymil

Post by Indymil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks for the input. I am satisfied with Windows 7 media center. I watch very little live TV (news, some sporting events), record a lot of programs to watch later at my convenience, and so I can fast forward through commercials. I have just added a NAS (not totally set up yet). I have one Windows 10 PC that I plan to put SD DVR service on, however will continue to use Windows 7 media center as long as it works.