Information missing from WTV file

Balok

HTPC Specs: Show details

Information missing from WTV file

Post by Balok » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:24 am

I could not find anything about this on the site. Tried a few different searches. Can anybody tell me why some of these .wtv files have some of their information go missing? You can see the one episode is not with the group and there is information missing.
Attachments
WMC screen shot.jpg

Windom

Post by Windom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:14 pm

I've got plenty of files like that. It usually happens after Media Center has some issue and ends up rebuilding the list of shows. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet, but haven't really tried that hard.

There is a thread though: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1432

Space

Post by Space » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 pm

I believe this happens when there is corruption to the metadata in the WTV file. The metadata has information about the video, like the series name, episode title, etc. but it also has data that is used by WMC to identify it as a video that it recorded. If it does not find this information, then it just adds it as a generic video file, and that is why you see it in WMC using the file name of the file instead of the series name.

Why or how this corruption occurred, I can not say, but I have only seen it happen once on my system and that was when there was a power failure during the recording and the recording video got corrupted. I have had several power failures where this did not happen, so it is probably a timing thing, perhaps it was updating the metdata at the moment that the power failure occurred.