Can't decide on what extender to buy

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
LuckyDay

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:11 am

barnabas1969 wrote: 2) Reliability (Red Rings of Death, anyone? EVERY version of the XBox has had this problem, and I wasn't confident that M$ had fixed the problem in their latest version.).
3) Noise (The Linksys and HP extenders are silent).
4) Heat output (A bedroom can be significant heated)
The slim 360s no longer have the overheating issue. The "red rings" are general hardware errors. So while it's still possible for the new systems to get them, it's not a definite anymore. They can break like any other piece of hardware, but it's not something I would worry about.

I have known dozens of people with the slims for as long as they have been around and never heard of anyone with one failing.

As for the sound, the new systems are virtually silent as well. The 360 sound issue, even in old models, was due to how loud the DVD drive was when spinning. The slim models are much much quieter.

No idea on the heat issue, I've never noticed any effect.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

I wouldn't call them 'virtually silent' (that's what my Tivos are), but at normal TV volume levels you don't notice the Slims unless you're watching a movie or show with quiet dialog. They do make some noise that you can hear while running within 10 feet or so.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:I wouldn't call them 'virtually silent' (that's what my Tivos are), but at normal TV volume levels you don't notice the Slims unless you're watching a movie or show with quiet dialog. They do make some noise that you can hear while running within 10 feet or so.
My XBOX slim makes a small amount of noise. I wouldn't consider it an issue at all. TV volume drowns out any noise it makes even at low volume. Altough some people have more sensative ears than others and ANY noise bothers them.. I'm just not that picky ..
The older XBOX's were known to be much louder. I have never had an older XBOX .. just the new slim so far its been an excellent extender. I like it much better than the DMA 2100 I had.
The WOL feature is nice if your HTPC is sleeping or off. My Xbox will turn on the HTPC if its off and I no longer have to walk the length of the house to turn it on first like I did with the 2100. Plus being able to game a little in the bedroom when the wife and kids shows are on is a nice added bonus.
It still comes down to what works best for your individual situation as everyones needs are different. I like my xbox so much I will probably end up buying another one for my kids bedroom eventually and replacing the DMA 2100 in there.
newfiend~

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Yep can agree that the Slim is a way better extender than the 2100, but it cannot be left on all the time like the 2100 (because of power draw) so it's kind of a tradeoff. If you don't mind waiting for the Slim to boot into WMC every time you watch TV it's no big deal though.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:34 am

For those looking for a NEW Media Center Extender.. You might want to look at the NEW Ceton Echo... http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/ceto ... -hands-on/
Should be out this year!
newfiend~

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:37 am

"this year" could be 355 days away.

For those looking for a NEW Media Center Extender...you probably want one now. And there is only one--XBox.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 am

adam1991 wrote:"this year" could be 355 days away.

For those looking for a NEW Media Center Extender...you probably want one now. And there is only one--XBox.
True.. If you have no patience...XBOX is it for now.. However after this anouncement today If your not in a rush this is going to be a great piece of kit.. If it's anything like the tuner quality which it should be. Engadget reports "both are expected to ship in 2012." so it should be this year... but somtimes there can be delays in Mfg.. it happens. But both pieces look nice. Cant wait till they are available.

ckensto

Post by ckensto » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Of all the issue I've worked thru with tuners, network config, codec, trying to play BDs, caller ID as an HTPC newbie, the Xbox extender just worked and worked well straight away no issues. I was expecting more issues. On my network (wired), its very responsive and I even have one hooked up on a Slingbox. Remote config wasn't an issue either. I'm thinking about getting my 3rd for the bedroom as the slims are pretty quiet and I will only use it for non clear QAM live TV . Agree HTPC on the main TV. I do wish I could get ripped DVDs or MKVs on the Xbox and I wish it played BDs. I am interested in what the new Ceton Q and Echo extenders units will do when they are released.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 pm

ckensto wrote:Of all the issue I've worked thru with tuners, network config, codec, trying to play BDs, caller ID as an HTPC newbie, the Xbox extender just worked and worked well straight away no issues. I was expecting more issues. On my network (wired), its very responsive and I even have one hooked up on a Slingbox. Remote config wasn't an issue either. I'm thinking about getting my 3rd for the bedroom as the slims are pretty quiet and I will only use it for non clear QAM live TV . Agree HTPC on the main TV. I do wish I could get ripped DVDs or MKVs on the Xbox and I wish it played BDs. I am interested in what the new Ceton Q and Echo extenders units will do when they are released.
I can watch MKVs on XBOX 360 through WMC. I installed the latest DIVX codecs (can't remember the exact name off the top of my head) and the AC3 filter and it streams. Not as responsive as WTV files, and if you try and FF or RR too quickly (30 second jumps), seems to freeze the XBOX and a reboot is necessary, but for simple streaming of the video, it works. Haven't tried any ripped DVDs however.