No Surround sound from WMC over HDMI

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
jammala

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Surround sound from WMC over HDMI

Post by jammala » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm

This is my setup -
I recently build an HTPC with ATI HD 6570 Card..This card suppossedly supports 7.1 Audio over HDMI.

I connected HDMI to my TV (Samsung UN55C6300) and Optical Out from TV to my receiver (Yamaha RX V740). Whatever I do I am only getting 2 channel audio output and not 5.1

My receiver pre-dates HDMI (atleast they were not that common then)..So connecting HDMI out from PC to Receiver is not an option..Routing through TV may be causing the problem if I understand correctly from other posts here...

How can I get to hear 5.1 sound from my receiver and use media center to play all movies/recorded TV programs...

Thanks in advance

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Your TV is likely sending the audio to your reciever as PCM. Optical audio cable can only handle two channels of PCM.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 pm

I don't think the optical cable is limited to 2 channel PCM. I've streamed PCM in 5.1 several times without error over TosLink. If his TV is anything like mine, it won't output anything but 2.0 stereo out of the optical jack.

I bought a very high-end TV two months ago. I have optical out from my motherboard, and I usually use that... but I did play around with sending audio to the TV over HDMI and then optical out from the TV to the receiver. Unfortunately, the TV would NOT allow me to select 5.1 output on the optical output. The option in the TV's menu does not allow me to select 5.1 for the optical output.

I believe this happens because the TV reports to the video card that it only can support 2.0 stereo... so the video card sends what the TV can support. The reason I think this is because when I watch Vudu from the TV's built-in menu, I get 5.1 audio out of the optical cable.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: I've streamed PCM in 5.1 several times without error over TosLink.
Are you sure you're not thinking of bitstreaming? You can bitstream 5.1 over optical, but I don't think there is enough bandwidth for more than 2 channels of PCM.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jammala

Post by jammala » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 pm

So if routing audio through TV is causing this problem..Should I connect Audio directly from HTPC Motherboard to Receiver? sounds like it...

jammala

Post by jammala » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Scallica wrote:Your TV is likely sending the audio to your reciever as PCM. Optical audio cable can only handle two channels of PCM.
You may be right...I remember receiver showing PCM as the audio mode/option selected...it is set to auto-select. So if "Optical Digital" will not work and my receiver does not have HDMI, how to connect for 5.1 surround sound?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:45 pm

S/PDIF only has enough bandwidth for 2 channels of PCM. Dolby Digital 5.1, being a compressed and encoded format, can fit in the same bandwidth as 2 channels of PCM. Therefore, the S/PDIF connection can bitstream DD 5.1. However, it cannot support 6 uncompressed channels.

Most TVs cannot pass Dolby Digtal through the TV from external devices...they can only output Dolby Digital if the source is the TV tuner. For external sources, the audio is generally converted to 2-channel. You'd have to consult the user's manual of the TV to find out for sure. If this is the case, you will need to output audio straight from the PC to the receiver.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 pm

richard1980 wrote:S/PDIF only has enough bandwidth for 2 channels of PCM. Dolby Digital 5.1, being a compressed and encoded format, can fit in the same bandwidth as 2 channels of PCM. Therefore, the S/PDIF connection can bitstream DD 5.1. However, it cannot support 6 uncompressed channels.

Most TVs cannot pass Dolby Digtal through the TV from external devices...they can only output Dolby Digital if the source is the TV tuner. For external sources, the audio is generally converted to 2-channel. You'd have to consult the user's manual of the TV to find out for sure. If this is the case, you will need to output audio straight from the PC to the receiver.
+1 Agree with richard 100%.. Best option is optical cable from PC to Receiver... Or save a little extra $ and upgrade Receivers to one that has HDMI Inputs and HDMI output(s), this would be the best option if your budget can handle an upgrade.
newfiend~

jammala

Post by jammala » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks for the quick responses...I am considering upgrading receiver to one with HDMI..thanks

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm

or just optical straight from the htpc to the receiver- thats what i do, and it works great.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 pm

I guess I was wrong about PCM in 5.1. Scallica is correct. Yep... buy yourself an optical cable to go from the PC to the receiver. Monoprice.com is a great place for stuff like that. Or... if you have the money to spend, buy a new receiver. I'll be buying one eventually also... but I have other obligations first.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:53 pm

Don't you just hate "other obligations"?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:45 am

bmblank wrote:Don't you just hate "other obligations"?
Yeah, things like child support, alimony, and having to buy things for my kids... clothes, school supplies, etc. always seem to get in the way of buying the things that I want for myself. Oh... wait... isn't child support supposed to pay for the things the kids need??? Yeah... like that will ever happen.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:22 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
bmblank wrote:Don't you just hate "other obligations"?
Yeah, things like child support, alimony, and having to buy things for my kids... clothes, school supplies, etc. always seem to get in the way of buying the things that I want for myself. Oh... wait... isn't child support supposed to pay for the things the kids need??? Yeah... like that will ever happen.
I feel your pain.. Ex has multiple international vacations planned this year I am sure I will be paying for... :wtf: