Core i3 - Intel HD 2000

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Vince

HTPC Specs: Show details

Core i3 - Intel HD 2000

Post by Vince » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Hello All,

First post. So, I recently built a Windows 7 HTPC around an Intel Core i3 and an HDHomeRun Prime (1Gb full duplex wired connection). I choose to not purchase a separate GPU. For the vast majority of my live TV viewing the rig performs perfectly. However, when I watch sports, especially football, I get this odd "banding" of the video. There are regularly spaced thin'ish dark lines over the "busiest" parts of the screen. I also notice that when there is a long pass or a kick-off where the camera follows the flight of the ball, the ball almost becomes transparent. My question is simply: is this due to the i3 not being able to keep up? or might it be the HDHomeRun that is lagging?

Any insight you all can offer would greatly be appreciated,

Vince

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 pm

The i3 has more than enough horsepower for HTPC use. One of my systems has the older E7500 Core 2 Duo and performs flawlessly. I would suggest purchasing a dedicated GPU. I use the Gigabyte GeForce 210 in my systems; its only $40.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125392
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 pm

I would check/tweak your network and/or check your cables. Silicondust has some things to try regarding your network. I would certainly disable network throttling if you haven't done so. There some other things you can disable or enable in your NIC settings. Disabling network throttling is something I do with every Windows install.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5877

Also, poor coax (F-connectors) connections can have an effect especially during a lot of movement/action.

I would only resort to making a purchase after exhausting the above efforts. I urge you to enable debugging in the SD software and post your device ID on their forums and they can help you pinpoint your troubles.

BTW: Welcome to TGB.tv :thumbup:

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 pm

My 4 year old set up is bogus compared to yours and although I have some live football pixelation issues (especially Fox HD) they are not nearly as severe as yours. I'm guessing if it is a hardware issue it is a config issue.

Try recording and watching hockey a few minutes delayed and see if the problem persists. I would stick with sports where the cameras switch quickly for testing if you only saw it on football. You might be able to localize the source of the problem.

The Assassin's latest set up is an i3 (no video card), walks through tons of hardware and software settings... Check the AVS forum linked at the bottom of this home page.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 am

WOW! Thanks for the great and quick responses. I will look into the network throttling as well as the other config settings. I really want to avoid the purchase of a video card if I can, not so much because of the minor expense, but more to keep the heat and or noise to an absolute minimum.

Thanks again,

Vince

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 am

What firmware version are you using for the HDHR Prime?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:31 am

I can't help you with your video display problem as I don't have a SD tuner and I don't have anything like what you described during fast motion. However, if you decide to go with a separate GPU... and you don't want any noise... I strongly recommend the Zotac ZT-40601-20L. It is fanless, uses the nVidia GT430 GPU (highly recommended by many), supports BluRay playback (including 3D!), and lossless audio over HDMI. The Zotac card can be had for around $90 online, but it won't fit in a low-profile case.

There are probably other fanless cards out there that utilize the GT-430 GPU also. I can attest that this GPU does an excellent job of scaling 720p to 1080p and also de-interlacing 1080i to 1080p. My current setup, including a high-end plasma TV, almost gives me a video-gasm every time I look at it.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Scallica wrote:What firmware version are you using for the HDHR Prime?
I am running the beta firmware that became 20120128

CaptCraiger

Post by CaptCraiger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Vince,

I had a similar problem with my i3 set up. Unchecking the "Film Mode Detection" setting in the Intel HD Graphics settings made a big difference. See the image below for where its at.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:59 pm

I have the Core i3 also and it works flawless I have not unchecked anything in HD graphics setting its probably on whatever it was set from the factory. I also use a HD homerun dual for watching all my live tv last game I watched was the superbowl and again it worked flawless. I had problems on my downstairs HTPC with graphics using a HD5450 I tried all kinds of settings nothing fixed it I switched to a GT430 and they all went away and I have an E3400 on that one works great no way the i3 is the issue.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm running a HD5450 on my main rig and a Core i3 in my bedroom and both work flawlessly. My tuners are HDHR and HDHRP. I stand by disabling network throttling, as far as I'm concerned it is a must when networking TV tuners. I would certainly try that before anything else, it cost you nothing it is known to offer improvements.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:25 pm

mcewinter wrote:I'm running a HD5450 on my main rig and a Core i3 in my bedroom and both work flawlessly.
I wish mine would have worked would have saved me $50. :mrgreen:

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 pm

I have tried the network throttling setting as well as updating to the latest HDHomeRun firmware. Pretty much in the same place as before. I will try the i3 settings next.

Thanks again for the input people.

Vince

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 pm

The settings page is worth checking but should the issue persist I would enable debugging and post on Silicondust's forum or open a ticket. They are very helpful and I'm certain they can offer better/more accurate advice based on your logs.