MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
DanITman

Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

#141

Post by DanITman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 am

hardersa wrote:I have two iphone 7's with iOS 11.2 installed. One of them has the My MC app working because it been on the phone since it was new, is there any software that would allow me to transfer it to the other one? I tried AnyTrans, but no luck.

Also, I'm just seeing your thread. Are trying to get the app and get someone to submit it to app store or will what you''re working on only work for people with jail broken phones? Thanks!
See post #122. It explains what needs to happen.

RyC

Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#142

Post by RyC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 am

hardersa wrote:I have two iphone 7's with iOS 11.2 installed. One of them has the My MC app working because it been on the phone since it was new, is there any software that would allow me to transfer it to the other one? I tried AnyTrans, but no luck.

Also, I'm just seeing your thread. Are trying to get the app and get someone to submit it to app store or will what you''re working on only work for people with jail broken phones? Thanks!
Theoretically, we will be able to install the app on non jailbroken phones if we can get these last steps done

bryankennedy2

Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#143

Post by bryankennedy2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 am

I’ve been following r/jailbreak today and there’s a lot of activity going on recently. Fingers crossed that the exploits work - I have 10.3.2 and 10.3.3 devices at my disposal.

I’ll keep an eye on things as much as I can, but we might have something in the next few weeks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Jacoats

Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:57 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#144

Post by Jacoats » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:56 pm

That’s great news! If it comes down to buying a device on eBay, I certainly would contribute.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanITman

Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#145

Post by DanITman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Has anyone confirmed that there actually is a 64bit version of the app? I believe the 32 bit worked all the way up to 10.3.2

User avatar
Scallica

Posts: 2768
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: USA!

HTPC Specs: Show details

#146

Post by Scallica » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm

DanITman wrote:Has anyone confirmed that there actually is a 64bit version of the app? I believe the 32 bit worked all the way up to 10.3.2
If you go to Settings-->General-->About, there is an Applications item. If you can't click on it, that means all installed apps are 64-bit.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

RyC

Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#147

Post by RyC » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 pm

The app is definitely 64-bit. I can install and launch the real IPA from bryankennedy on my iPhone X, but it won't let me continue until I enter his iTunes username and password (which I don't have and what we're trying to get around with these clutch dumps)

bryankennedy2

Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#148

Post by bryankennedy2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 am

RyC wrote:The app is definitely 64-bit. I can install and launch the real IPA from bryankennedy on my iPhone X, but it won't let me continue until I enter his iTunes username and password (which I don't have and what we're trying to get around with these clutch dumps)
And I really don't want to give those out - I'm sure everyone understands :)
Keep an eye on r/jailbreak, though - fingers crossed that we see a full break soon, which will allow me to get the 64-bit dump

gsr

Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#149

Post by gsr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm

So what exactly is signed in these .ipa files and what is the signing tied to (ie: is the Apple ID tied to it?)?

My brother and I both purchased this app ~several years ago.

He happened to have his copy of the full .ipa file downloaded from the app store for the current version (1.4.5), so he was able to re-install it on his devices when he upgraded recently.

I only had version 1.3.3, but it looks like my copy wasn't the full .ipa file, perhaps just the partial one stored on the iOS device? Even if I was happy with version 1.3.3, it won't install because version 1.3.3 isn't compatible with iOS 11 (already tried...).

Anyway, his .ipa contains a file named "iTunesMetadata.plist" that contains an XML document containing a bunch of info about the app and the iTunes account it is registered under. Depending on exactly what is signed and what the signing is keyed to, we were thinking that it might be possible to modify the .plist file in his with my info and then load it onto my iPhone and iPad (I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6S to iPhone X and iPad Air 2 to iPad Pro 10.5"), but we're a bit stuck on a few of the fields. The account info section looks like this (potentially sensitive values, even the purchase date, have been changed to protect the innocent...):

Code: Select all

		<dict>
			<key>accountInfo</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AccountStoreFront</key>
				<string>111111-1,32</string>
				<key>AppleID</key>
				<string>email@someserver.com</string>
				<key>DSPersonID</key>
				<integer>22222222</integer>
				<key>DownloaderID</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>FamilyID</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>PurchaserID</key>
				<integer>22222222</integer>
			</dict>
			<key>purchaseDate</key>
			<string>2012-12-12T12:12:12Z</string>
		</dict>
It's obvious what should be put in for the AppleID value, but it's not clear if the AccountStoreFront value is unique to the user or something that identifies the vendor or which iTunes store it was purchased from (ie: USA or another country). It's also not clear where I would get my "DSPersonID / PurchaserID" values from - in his file they have the same value, which is why I changed both to "22222222" here.

The "iTunesMetadata.plist" for the 1.3.3 version of the app that I have is radically different (it isn't XML), so it isn't a simple matter of just transferring values from mine to his, though I believe I can identify the purchase date in it (there are 2 dates in there).

Naturally, I also upgraded to the most recent version of iTunes before upgrading the devices and wasn't smart enough to make sure I had recent backups of all of my .ipa files before taking any action. I can rollback to iTunes 12.6.3 to download all of my other .ipa files from the app store and doing so might shed some light on what values go in these fields, but if the signing of the .ipa means that modifying these values won't work, then it isn't worth going to the effort.

Based on the line of discussion going on here, I'm guessing that it isn't as easy as this or someone would have suggested this already. This would obviously only work for people who actually purchased the app, but that should be OK as we shouldn't be encouraging people who never paid for the app to install it for free.

RyC

Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#150

Post by RyC » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that :(

The IPA binary itself is encrypted and signed with the original purchaser's iTunes account info. When you're running a legitimate app from the App Store, the device decrypts the binary in memory as it's run, and then what Clutch does is dump the decrypted binary out to a new IPA (so we're not breaking the encryption)

This whole re-signing issue is that Apple doesn't let you install any IPA (more or less) unless it's signed with an Apple distributed certificate (aka buying the $99 developer program).

We still need a 64-bit dump of the 1.4.5 IPA, which can only be grabbed from jailbroken devices (which is only earlier versions of iOS 10 and previous versions of iOS as of now). I think bryankennedy is still trying to get a device that is 64-bit and has a version of iOS that can be jailbroken.

gsr

Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#151

Post by gsr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 pm

RyC wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that :(

The IPA binary itself is encrypted and signed with the original purchaser's iTunes account info. When you're running a legitimate app from the App Store, the device decrypts the binary in memory as it's run, and then what Clutch does is dump the decrypted binary out to a new IPA (so we're not breaking the encryption)

This whole re-signing issue is that Apple doesn't let you install any IPA (more or less) unless it's signed with an Apple distributed certificate (aka buying the $99 developer program).

We still need a 64-bit dump of the 1.4.5 IPA, which can only be grabbed from jailbroken devices (which is only earlier versions of iOS 10 and previous versions of iOS as of now). I think bryankennedy is still trying to get a device that is 64-bit and has a version of iOS that can be jailbroken.
Thanks for the reply. I had a hunch it may have been a fool's errand / wishful thinking trying to edit the .plist file. :)

Of course, there's probably still value in getting copies of all of my other .ipa files for when something like this happens to another app I've purchased.

DanITman

Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#152

Post by DanITman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:48 pm

I'm wondering if it's a complete loss to get CETON to post the app back in the app store if we cover the $100 fee? I really miss this app.

I know some others have tried to reach out to them, any response?

User avatar
Jacoats

Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:57 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#153

Post by Jacoats » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:02 pm

DanITman wrote:I'm wondering if it's a complete loss to get CETON to post the app back in the app store if we cover the $100 fee? I really miss this app.

I know some others have tried to reach out to them, any response?

I tried on twitter and suggested the same thing. No reply. Apparently this guy is too busy climbing mountains and exploring the Amazon to worry about us getting access to this app we all paid for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkrom

Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#154

Post by dkrom » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm

For those wanting to get an old system - you might have some success getting a used device from GameStop. Just picked up a replacement iPhone 6 for my wife last night and it was on system 9.3. I had to update it so she could have a phone, but this is our third device from GameStop in the last 7 months and every phone was on an old system.

DanITman

Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#155

Post by DanITman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:29 pm

dkrom wrote:For those wanting to get an old system - you might have some success getting a used device from GameStop. Just picked up a replacement iPhone 6 for my wife last night and it was on system 9.3. I had to update it so she could have a phone, but this is our third device from GameStop in the last 7 months and every phone was on an old system.
You would have to find a device at GameStop that has the Media Center app on it. On top of that, you would have to know the iTunes credentials of the person that installed it.

dkrom

Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#156

Post by dkrom » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:52 pm

DanITman wrote:
dkrom wrote:For those wanting to get an old system - you might have some success getting a used device from GameStop. Just picked up a replacement iPhone 6 for my wife last night and it was on system 9.3. I had to update it so she could have a phone, but this is our third device from GameStop in the last 7 months and every phone was on an old system.
You would have to find a device at GameStop that has the Media Center app on it. On top of that, you would have to know the iTunes credentials of the person that installed it.
No - you just need the Media Center ipa file, iTunes, and the account that purchased the ipa. Install it using iTunes and you’re all set.

dkrom

Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#157

Post by dkrom » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:50 pm

dkrom wrote:
DanITman wrote:
You would have to find a device at GameStop that has the Media Center app on it. On top of that, you would have to know the iTunes credentials of the person that installed it.
No - you just need the Media Center ipa file, iTunes, and the account that purchased the ipa. Install it using iTunes and you’re all set.
I think we are talking about differently things - I should have directed my post to the people looking for devices with older systems so they can jailbreak. You were thinking I meant buy an old device hoping the program is installed (maybe??).

DanITman

Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#158

Post by DanITman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 pm

I just got an iphone 6 that has 10.2.1 on it. Not sure if it can be jailbroken or not.

User avatar
Scallica

Posts: 2768
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: USA!

HTPC Specs: Show details

#159

Post by Scallica » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm

DanITman wrote:I just got an iphone 6 that has 10.2.1 on it. Not sure if it can be jailbroken or not.
Indeed. You need to use the Saigon utility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailb ... _stability
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DanITman

Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#160

Post by DanITman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Jailbroken 10.2.1 complete. Just need to get the phone to Bryan. I'm willing to ship or keep his credentials private. Either one works for me.

We might be able to do team viewer and have you type in the password without me seeing it.

Post Reply