Jumbo Frames with Xbox 360 extender?

Talk about setting up your home network.
Glitchy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Jumbo Frames with Xbox 360 extender?

Post by Glitchy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:41 pm

I've got a bunch of things on my home (wired) network. Tuners, AVR's, Squeezebox, ups, xbox 360's, computers.

Most of it besides the computers is 100mb.

If I turn on jumbo frames on the WHS2011 and my HTPC, will the xbox's function ok (HDTV/Movies)? All the other devices (maybe pulling music from the server?).

I do have 2 NICs on the server and a procurve switch, so I could do "fancy stuff", but I don't know anything about the procurve, 2 NICs and networking. So "fancy" will take research, homework and help.

Thanks

Jeff

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:00 pm

First off, if your routers and switches don't support jumbo frames, you should not turn it on in the PC's network card.

My switches do support jumbo frames, and I can tell you that when I turned it on... my extenders didn't work.

It won't hurt for you to try it, but make note of everything you change so that you can change it back if it doesn't work.

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:03 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:First off, if your routers and switches don't support jumbo frames, you should not turn it on in the PC's network card.

My switches do support jumbo frames, and I can tell you that when I turned it on... my extenders didn't work.

It won't hurt for you to try it, but make note of everything you change so that you can change it back if it doesn't work.
Thanks, that was what I was looking for, if extenders don't work, I don't need to go there!

Jeff

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Jumbo frames have to be supported end to end. Otherwise all you end up doing in fragmenting more packets. It's also not much use on a 100 meg network. Don't bother with it.