MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
bigsid05

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bigsid05 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Argh... upgraded to a shiny new iPhone X and lost this app. Would love a solution. I have it on my iPad still but I think due to "app slicing" that will do me no good.

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 pm

bigsid05 wrote:Argh... upgraded to a shiny new iPhone X and lost this app. Would love a solution. I have it on my iPad still but I think due to "app slicing" that will do me no good.
Welcome to the club. ImageI’m not giving up on this app. I️ will get I️t working in my 8 by hook or by crook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Jacoats wrote:
bigsid05 wrote:Argh... upgraded to a shiny new iPhone X and lost this app. Would love a solution. I have it on my iPad still but I think due to "app slicing" that will do me no good.
Welcome to the club. ImageI’m not giving up on this app. I️ will get I️t working in my 8 by hook or by crook
Did you try using the secret version of iTunes 12.6 to load the .ipa file?
https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itune ... 4Setup.exe
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Scallica wrote:
Jacoats wrote:
Did you try using the secret version of iTunes 12.6 to load the .ipa file?
https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itune ... 4Setup.exe
No I️ didn’t know about that. Can I️ use I️t “claim” the ipa I️ have to get my own off my 6 ?

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:02 pm

I, unfortunately, no longer have a copy of the IPA. I trued using the version that someone else posted in this thread but it's signed to his/her iTunes account so it cannot be installed on my devices.

I think the only solution to this is to have an old, signed, IPA from back when the it was still on the App Store. Unfortunately, Apple/iTunes stopped automatic downloads of apps to PC and stopped including app executable files in backups a long time ago (due to app slicing). So, unless you manually saved it a year or 2 ago, it's unlikely there will be an easy workaround (aside from a jailbreak solution).

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:10 am

bigsid05 wrote:I, unfortunately, no longer have a copy of the IPA. I trued using the version that someone else posted in this thread but it's signed to his/her iTunes account so it cannot be installed on my devices.

I think the only solution to this is to have an old, signed, IPA from back when the it was still on the App Store. Unfortunately, Apple/iTunes stopped automatic downloads of apps to PC and stopped including app executable files in backups a long time ago (due to app slicing). So, unless you manually saved it a year or 2 ago, it's unlikely there will be an easy workaround (aside from a jailbreak solution).
Ok well as I️ say, I️ did get I️t on my 8 but I️ am prompted for an Apple ID when I️ try to open I️t. There is someone out there that knows how to beat this

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 am

Jacoats wrote:
bigsid05 wrote:I, unfortunately, no longer have a copy of the IPA. I trued using the version that someone else posted in this thread but it's signed to his/her iTunes account so it cannot be installed on my devices.

Ok well as I️ say, I️ did get I️t on my 8 but I️ am prompted for an Apple ID when I️ try to open I️t. There is someone out there that knows how to beat this

You won’t be able to use that IPA without the original person’s iTunes credentials.

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 am

bigsid05 wrote:
Jacoats wrote:

You won’t be able to use that IPA without the original person’s iTunes credentials.
Ok so let’s say I️ had that. Once I️ get I️t signed in then I️ have I️t right ? I️ did that a couple times between accounts and I️t worked

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 am

Jacoats wrote:
Ok so let’s say I️ had that. Once I️ get I️t signed in then I️ have I️t right ? I️ did that a couple times between accounts and I️t worked

Yes, if you had those credentials you could install it and use it.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 pm

So you had to have the foresight to manually download the full IPA as a backup whilst it was in the store. Then install it using 12.6.3 which is the last version of iTunes to permit side-loading. Going forward, you won't be able to do either of these things with iTunes. Even though the software still works fine and you are entitled to use it. :roll:

I'd happily share my backup but it sounds like there is no point as it will be locked to my iTunes account.

Ceton still have the full product pages on their website. I suspect they just haven't paid their developer subs to Apple.
http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 am

IT Troll wrote:So you had to have the foresight to manually download the full IPA as a backup whilst it was in the store. Then install it using 12.6.3 which is the last version of iTunes to permit side-loading. Going forward, you won't be able to do either of these things with iTunes. Even though the software still works fine and you are entitled to use it. :roll:

I'd happily share my backup but it sounds like there is no point as it will be locked to my iTunes account.

Ceton still have the full product pages on their website. I suspect they just haven't paid their developer subs to Apple.
http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/
Sounds like that’s got to be the reason. Perhaps a campaign to the of CEO of Ceton and a volunteer to pay the fee to get the app back on the AP Store. Someone here said I️t was $99. I️ would gladly pay I️t. Maybe he would even surrender the ownership of this dead app to one of us. I️ recvd a tweet from Motz a couple days ago that said he could not help.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 am

IT Troll wrote:I suspect they just haven't paid their developer subs to Apple.
Yep, $99/year or your App vanishes from the App Store.

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 am

Scallica wrote:
I️ messaged J Hammer @ceton tonight asking him to get the app back into App Store. I️ told him that if I️t is a matter of fees we can get the money together to get I️t back even for a limited time (long enough to download I️t). I️ suggested that as they seem to be done with MMC perhaps they could ceed control of I️t to someone else or even sell it. Positive thoughts !

Space

Post by Space » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 am

Scallica wrote:
Yeah, this sucks.

If you already bought the app you should still be able to re-download it. You can still remove it from the store so that new purchases can't be made, but this is penalizing the customer for something they have no control over.

Steam does it the right way. If you own an item, you can download it again regardless of whether or not it is still available in the store for purchase.

I can understand not wanting to host items and bandwidth for developers that are no longer paying you, but at some point you need to provide customer service and understand that it is not helping the developer, but the customer who is buying and using your product and service.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am

Surely Apple have got to change this, especially now that they are pushing everyone to cloud only apps. We have already paid the Apple service charge as part of the original purchase. Imagine if they suddenly stopped you from redownloading some music. Class action time!
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 am

Jacoats wrote:
Scallica wrote:
I️ messaged J Hammer @ceton tonight asking him to get the app back into App Store. I️ told him that if I️t is a matter of fees we can get the money together to get I️t back even for a limited time (long enough to download I️t). I️ suggested that as they seem to be done with MMC perhaps they could ceed control of I️t to someone else or even sell it. Positive thoughts !
Good idea. Let us know if there is any response.

The app is still in the Google Play store. I think that's because Google has a one-time flat fee for apps and they stay in the store until the publisher removes it.

kurick

Post by kurick » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Has anyone had any luck with getting this app on a new phone? I bought the iPhone X, but as people have noticed the app is no longer in the AppStore. I still have the app on my iPhone 6. I downgraded to iTunes 12.6 and I am trying to transfer my purchase off of my iPhone 6 to my PC but its doesn't seem to do it. iTunes transferred a few of my purchased songs on to the PC, but zero app. I have tried using the manual backup option, as well as FIle -> Devices-> Transfer Purchases from iPhone and its acts like its doing it, but no apps are transferred to my PC. Am I doing something wrong?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of transferring the app from your phone to your PC. You needed to have the foresight to download the app package from the App Store to your PC using iTunes whilst it was still available from the App Store.

If you had this app package you can then use iTunes 12.6.3 to install it on a new device.

As it stands, Apple are denying you access to your entitlement just because the developer hasn't paid their subscription fee.

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 pm

IT Troll wrote:Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of transferring the app from your phone to your PC. You needed to have the foresight to download the app package from the App Store to your PC using iTunes whilst it was still available from the App Store.

If you had this app package you can then use iTunes 12.6.3 to install it on a new device.

As it stands, Apple are denying you access to your entitlement just because the developer hasn't paid their subscription fee.
I have been working on a solution for this problem for weeks. No luck. What about using an app to extract the ipa from an old back up? It would have to be from pre IOS9. Any idea what date that would be ?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:43 pm

If the backup isn't encrypted then that might be possible, something like 7-zip might be able to see inside the archive.
Google says iOS 9 was released September 16, 2015.