Nvidia gt 430 new driver update is a big improvment

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:03 am

ymee wrote:What sort of errors? I'm running in 5.1 in both sound control panel and media center. Was getting some video playback error message but disabling animation and sounds in the media center settings fixed it. If your method fixes these errors and lets me use animation and sounds in WMC again, that would be great. Can you clarify>
Yep The workaround above will enable you to turn ON Nav sounds and avoid the Missing Video Codec Error. The only two workarounds I know are turning off Nav sounds and Setting Windows to 2.0 stereo and Media Center to 5.1. They both do the same thing and allow Media Center to play correctly without the error popping up.
HTH,
newfiend~

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:04 am

My audio is routed thru the GT430 HDMI to my Plasma then from my TV's optical output to my Denon AVR-95 this works fine with my PS3 and Uverse box but not with media center. My settings are set to stereo in the control panel & 5.1 in WMC 7 but the Dolby Digital light on the AVR does not come on. In windows sound panel the NVIDIA driver properties show output jack as LR HDMI. If I switch my tv input to built in tv tuner the Dolbly Digital light comes also the PC seems to be the cause I have tried playing DVD's and watching the same TV channels that have 5.1 with my built in tuner with WMC using the HD Homerun tuner but still no Dolby Digital? Its probably simple but I cannot figure it out any input would be great thanks for the fast response!!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 am

fa1321tx wrote:My audio is routed thru the GT430 HDMI to my Plasma then from my TV's optical output to my Denon AVR-95 this works fine with my PS3 and Uverse box but not with media center. My settings are set to stereo in the control panel & 5.1 in WMC 7 but the Dolby Digital light on the AVR does not come on. In windows sound panel the NVIDIA driver properties show output jack as LR HDMI. If I switch my tv input to built in tv tuner the Dolbly Digital light comes also the PC seems to be the cause I have tried playing DVD's and watching the same TV channels that have 5.1 with my built in tuner with WMC using the HD Homerun tuner but still no Dolby Digital? Its probably simple but I cannot figure it out any input would be great thanks for the fast response!!
The problem is this.. Your GT 430 can only output Stereo because it is hooked to the TV.. it only senses the 2 speakers on the TV. Most TV Optical Outputs only support Stereo output. You need to use an Optical Cable from the HTPC to the Denon Or if your AVR supports HDMI an HDMI cable from HTPC to AVR then HDMI from AVR to TV. That will get you the desired surround sound you are looking for.
If you use an optical cable from your Motherboard to the AVR you will need to go into sounds in the control panel in Windows and set that as your default audio output. Then go back through Media Center Audio settings and set it to use your optical out as well and set it to 5.1.
HTH,
newfiend~

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 am

They sell a SPDIF RCA Out Plate Cable Bracket on amazon I could use to connect the spdif header of my motherboard to get the 5.1 to my Denon. My TV is capable of passing 5.1 from the HDMI to the optical toslink is there a way to trick the GT430 into thinking my TV is another device so it will send the 5.1?
Newfiend thanks so much for the help it makes allot of sense now!!!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 pm

No way to trick the card AFAIK.. You would be better off either getting the spdif plate or getting a newer avr that supports HDMI. If I were you.. And this is just me.. But I would look into a avr that has HDMI and supports true-hd and dts-HD. The GT 430 supports the HD audio formats but the only way you will get them is through an HDMI cable to an AVR that supports the codec's. Its an amazing audio experience the difference between regular 5.1 and the HD audio found on Blu-Ray disks. Just food for thought. But if you just want basic 5.1 the spdif header plate with an optical out for your MB would be the way to go.
newfiend

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks for the input I will probably go with the adapter for now this is my first attempt with a HTPC and I want to get all the bugs worked before I drop anymore money on upgrading my equipment. So far I have managed to cut off my U-verse and switch to OTA antenna and between using the DVR in WMC and netflix I have not missed my Uverse at all. The video quality of the GT430 on my Panasonic Plasma is amazing my OTA broadcast using the HD Homerun are crystal clear!
Thanks again!!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Good Luck, adding an optical output to the MB should get ya all set up. No problem, the GT 430 is a great HTPC card. I have had no issues with it so far. If you ever get a new AVR your going to love how good bitstreaming the HD audio can sound. Have fun.
newfiend

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:11 pm

newfiend wrote:No way to trick the card AFAIK.. You would be better off either getting the spdif plate or getting a newer avr that supports HDMI. If I were you.. And this is just me.. But I would look into a avr that has HDMI and supports true-hd and dts-HD. The GT 430 supports the HD audio formats but the only way you will get them is through an HDMI cable to an AVR that supports the codec's. Its an amazing audio experience the difference between regular 5.1 and the HD audio found on Blu-Ray disks. Just food for thought. But if you just want basic 5.1 the spdif header plate with an optical out for your MB would be the way to go.
newfiend

Took your advice I could not stop thinking about the HD audio once I got all the other bugs worked out. So I ordered a Denon AVR-2112ci should be in next week I have a PS3 for playing Blu-rays is there any advantages to having the a Blu-Ray drive on the HTPC vs PS3?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Not really, its just an "all in one box" experience with the htpc vs. Having 2 separate boxes.. The ps3 is a very good blu-ray player and your going to have that hooked up anyway to game so.. No advantage from one to the other. Some blu-rays actually won't play on the PC because of decoding issues..but they are working out the problems. It may be a bit more before arcsoft has all the blu-ray decoding issues worked out. The star wars discs wouldn't play until this January after a long awaited patch. But when it works (99%) of the time..it looks and sounds awesome!