WMC starts itself

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC starts itself

Post by jachin99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Windows media center starts on its own on my WIn 7 machine, and I can't get it to stop. I've tried changing the relevant settings within WMC, but still no luck. Is there a registry key or an Environmental Variable I need to change somewhere to stop this from happening? Thanks

Space

Post by Space » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:47 pm

I assume you are talking about the WMC front-end starting up when you boot up your system?

The only setting I am aware of is the one within the WMC settings, which I assume is what you already tried.

Perhaps you are running WMC from an account that does not have the correct permissions to change the registry setting to disable the startup?

You can try running msconfig.exe (you may have to run it "as Administrator'") to see if there is anything in there that may be starting up the GUI (probably something referencing an executable in the eHome folder).

I think that is the place that WMC puts the key to startup WMC on boot, but if you think you or someone else may have put an entry to run WMC somewhere else you can also check the below link to find other locations where programs can startup from:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutori ... locations/

Not all startup locations are covered by msconfig (like things that startup from the task scheduler).

The above link also has a link to the Autoruns program which enables you to view all those startup locations in a GUI interface.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:42 pm

You could always go into WMC and go into Settings\General\Startup and Windows Behavior and uncheck start Windows Media Center when Windows starts.

WMC will load in 2 spots in the folder in the start menu or in the registry. Both are easy to remove.

If this does not help, does it auto startup when you logon as a different user ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012