Watch currently recording program on another PC

volfan6415

HTPC Specs: Show details

Watch currently recording program on another PC

Post by volfan6415 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:43 pm

So I want to know if the following situation is possible...

I setup a live recording on my HTPC....

I then want to watch that program on another PC while it is recording...

I have the recorded TV directory setup to access the file. And I can succesfully start watching the program (using any media player WMC/vlc/ WMP)

However no matter what program I use it stops playing when it reaches the "end" of the show based off of when playback was started...

For example if I start playback when 20 min of the show had been recording, playback will stop at 20 min, even though 20 mor min have been recorded...

What I am trying to accomplish is to watch one football (american) on my HTPC while wathcing another on another PC.

My setup consists of a ceton infintv4

The content I want to watch is not copy protected.

I know i could use the network setup wizard and assign a tuner to the remote laptop, but I don't want to do this as I don't want to take a tuner away from the main TV/ have to re-run tv setup all of the time to give the tuner back to the HTPC.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Yours is yet another story of trying to do something that WMC is not designed or intended to do.

Get an extender instead.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:39 pm

it seems to be a player issue... remote potato can stream the recorded tv stream as indicated above ... albeit at a reduced quality

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

I haven't tested it, but the current versions of open source media tools will usually play WTV files. If you try to use VLC to play the file as it's being recorded, it might handle the "end" of the recording differently.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 pm

I have already tried VLC, it does the same thing as WMC/WMP. It only sees the file as being as long as when it was opened.

For whatever reason I can stream the file with remote potato and it works as intended. The downside to this is the quality, which is fine for remote viewing. However, when I am on the local network I would like to be ablet open and watch the recording file directly as there is plenty of bandwidth.

mjktg99

Post by mjktg99 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Is it possible that the same fix that addresses the issue of the recorded tv meta data not being correct on the PC that is not doing the recording also fix your issue?

Cant hurt to try..

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=2781

jgeurian21

Post by jgeurian21 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:16 am

It is my understanding that Remote Potato works like a mini extender with DVR capabilities and the what not. With that you can stream content much in the same fashion a HTPC streams through RDP to an extender. Applications like VLC, WMP, or even secondary WMC machines would view the files as a network directory which is not the same as an extender. So for example in my house I have a WHS, so I create a Word document on it and start typing. After a point I save the file and keep on typing. Say my wife stumbles on this file and opens it, what does she see? The saved contents; not what I was also typing. Only when she closes, I save and she repoens can she view the new contents. This is why Remote Potato or other applications such as Orb Live work more like RDP streams than standard applications. But I would have to agree with Adam. WTV recordings, especially those actively being recorded, are not suited for secondary applications. The only thing I might suggest is to try Orb Live as I believe you maybe able to do something like you ask, but I am unsure.

soapit

Post by soapit » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 am

I know this is very old but i am trying to also do this, watch currently recording shows on my laptop. would rather not install additional software such as media portal.

thing is im 99% sure this worked at some point when i tried it about 3 yrs ago after i moved to a bigger house and i watched hours of live cricket streaming on the laptop that i had just set to record on the main htpc with the tuners. then at some point later when i tried it again it didnt work.

so yeah has anyone got any ideas on how this oculd be made to work (again?)

cheers

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:30 am

if you use a remote WMC to access the file, then it "knows" the length at the time you start watching. Just "stop" (before you get to the end of the recorded part, and then "resume"...It will now see the current time as the new "end"...YES, a PITA if you are trying to flip back and forth on "live things"...But OK if you want to start watching something recorded 10-15 minago, and just skip commercials in another room (i.e. Wife already using the big TV) :D :D