What's up with Ceton?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

What's up with Ceton?

Post by Beerman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Is Ceton officially dead? The website is up but not current, nothing is available at Amazon or Newegg and their FB page has nothing since 2015. It did say they were working on new things but I can't even find anything in the news.
Guess I'm glad I went to SD and got some Primes.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Dead as a doornail. Seems like they didn't pay Apple to keep My Media Center on the App Store either.

FWIW my Ceton tuners worked fine, and there's nothing really stopping them from working at least until CableCARDs are phased out

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Does that mean if I replace my iPad I won't be able to download My Media Center? Or will Apple carry all my apps over to a new device? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I anticipate that I'll be replacing my iPad sometime in the next year, and I want to plan for it.
Dean L. Surkin

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Unless they renew their developer subscription, it doesn't look like it. Coincidentally, I drowned my iPhone on Saturday, and when I got it replaced on Monday, MMC didn't restore as part of the backup (and it's not in the App Store obviously)

MMC was 64-bit, so I think the only reason it could disappear is if Ceton stopped paying (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 pm

RyC wrote:I think the only reason it could disappear is if Ceton stopped paying (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Yep, it's $99/year for an Apple Developer Subscription which is required keep an app in the App Store.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 pm

I remember happily paying $433 for my InfiniTV 4 PCIe, and rooting for Ceton to succeed. I wanted to give them every opportunity and every bit of business I had.

I was hoping for the Q, frankly. I would have tried that out--and not even broken the glass on it to add commercial skip.

Alas, some things in life just don't work out...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:08 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:Does that mean if I replace my iPad I won't be able to download My Media Center? Or will Apple carry all my apps over to a new device? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I anticipate that I'll be replacing my iPad sometime in the next year, and I want to plan for it.
I don't know about iPhone, but I couldn't install MMC on new Windows phone last year. It still works on my old phone, but it wasn't available to install on the new phone.

wmc_chick

Post by wmc_chick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:00 am

I could never get MMC to work. I switched to Plex long ago, although I don't use it very often.

RDI

Post by RDI » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:03 am

The MMC app on my Android worked until maybe a week ago

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:05 pm

As of today, August 2, MMC is still available on the Google Play store and it works fine on both my Galaxy S7 and Galaxy Tab S3.

The only times the app did not work was when my Comcast IP address changed.
Remember folks, we're given DYNAMIC IP addresses. Unless your IP address is static, your ISP will occasionally change it.

You would then have to rescan for the computer with the MMC app running and update.

I've also had to tweak my Comcast modem/router port forwarding settings to make the app work outside my home network.