MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:36 pm

IOS10 on the way soon. I wonder if it's the final nail ;(
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:34 pm

STC wrote:IOS10 on the way soon. I wonder if it's the final nail ;(
I've been using iOS 10 through the betas and now the release version, MMC still works fine :)

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Even though I just use Google Remote Desktop for all my remote needs, I too purchased the app to throw in my support.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:44 am

RyC wrote:
STC wrote:IOS10 on the way soon. I wonder if it's the final nail ;(
I've been using iOS 10 through the betas and now the release version, MMC still works fine :)
Well that's good news thank you.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:37 pm

STC wrote:Well that's good news thank you.
Yes it is.

What is slightly worrying is that Apple have stated that they intend to implement regular housekeeping on the App Store. Apps which have gone a long time without updates or any apparent support will be deleted. :shock:
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Space

Post by Space » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:45 am

Deleted so you can't buy them anymore or deleted so you can't even re-download them if you already own them?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:48 pm

It's not entirely clear. Apps will "remain fully functional for current users".

https://developer.apple.com/support/app ... rovements/
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

skullet

Post by skullet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Looks like the app is gone from the App Store again. Unfortunately I didn't realize this before restoring my phone so I no longer have it. Just a warning for others!

RedWMC

Post by RedWMC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 am

RIP Ceton My Media Center, just got a new phone and noticed that I couldn't get the app.

I just am adding myself to this thread in case there is any hope to get the app again. I know unlikely, and very unlikely with IOS11 coming out in a few weeks.
Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and switch to something else.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:36 pm

RedWMC wrote:RIP Ceton My Media Center, just got a new phone and noticed that I couldn't get the app.

I just am adding myself to this thread in case there is any hope to get the app again. I know unlikely, and very unlikely with IOS11 coming out in a few weeks.
Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and switch to something else.
It still works with iOS 11 - I have the beta and have had no problems.
If you only download apps directly to your phone then it’s probably gone for good, but if you have iTunes downloading apps as a backup you might still be able to reinstall. If you have iTunes try connecting your phone to the computer and reinstalling the app there.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Still working perfectly with iOS 11. However it seems to have been removed from the UK App Store. Might still be available on the US App Store though.

MpTrumbore

Post by MpTrumbore » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Once it's gone from a device I think it's gone for good with current versions of iTunes and iOS. I kept backups through iTunes on my PC the last time MMC disappeared from the app store in case I'd ever need to restore. After restoring from iTunes recently I noticed it no longer restores apps from the PC. Instead, you must sign in with apple ID and be connected to the internet for the device to download directly from the app store. It seems apple closed the loophole and it is no longer possible to restore a device without loosing apps that are no longer in the app store.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:10 pm

MpTrumbore wrote:Once it's gone from a device I think it's gone for good with current versions of iTunes and iOS. I kept backups through iTunes on my PC the last time MMC disappeared from the app store in case I'd ever need to restore. After restoring from iTunes recently I noticed it no longer restores apps from the PC. Instead, you must sign in with apple ID and be connected to the internet for the device to download directly from the app store. It seems apple closed the loophole and it is no longer possible to restore a device without loosing apps that are no longer in the app store.
No - You can still use iTunes and the ipa file in install MMC, but you do have to downgrade iTunes to 12.6.3 (read an article about it with directions: http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/09/get-itun ... app-store/). I just went through this process while doing a fresh install of iOS 11.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 am

I just had to do the same. I installed iTunes 12.6.3 in a VM so I didn't have to mess with my main install and library.

If you have a Mac you can also use the Apple Configurator as an alternative to side load apps. On Windows, the alternatives are a bit hacky and so it is probably best to stick with iTunes.

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:
Scallica wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote: I use iCloud for backup so apparently I would have to make a full backup of the phone to my PC and then find the app on the hard drive and copy it to a new location.
Use this program; it works well:

http://www.syncios.com/features.html
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Any feedback on this syncios? I️ am trying to find a way to get MMC app off of my Iphone6 and into my pc. Really struggling with I️t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domageddon

Post by Domageddon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 pm

I’m having the same issue moving the app from my iPhone 6 to my new 8 Plus. I’ve contacted Apple Support and they couldn’t help. Apparently Apple decided (around iOS9) to start thinning pieces of Universal Apps out of your iOS device download to save space on your device. So the version you have on your phone is not a full ipa file and thus you cannot sync it to iTunes to copy it to another device. Since Apple doesn’t have the ipa file to send out, there’s nothing we can do. I also tried a third party app, imazing, and after contacting their support they confirmed it’s not possible to transfer apps anymore. It’s only possible to sync the user data files. So in the future, you should turn on automatic downloads in an app enabled version of iTunes to create an archive of ipa files you have purchased (wish I knew this before).

There is one glimmer of hope... I tracked down Motz’s twitter handle. He seems to be active there. He fixed this last year when it went out of the App Store (according to this thread). I don’t use Twitter, but if someone who does could send him a message that would be great. https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesmontemagno

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Domageddon wrote:I’m having the same issue moving the app from my iPhone 6 to my new 8 Plus. I’ve contacted Apple Support and they couldn’t help. Apparently Apple decided (around iOS9) to start thinning pieces of Universal Apps out of your iOS device download to save space on your device. So the version you have on your phone is not a full ipa file and thus you cannot sync it to iTunes to copy it to another device. Since Apple doesn’t have the ipa file to send out, there’s nothing we can do. I also tried a third party app, imazing, and after contacting their support they confirmed it’s not possible to transfer apps anymore. It’s only possible to sync the user data files. So in the future, you should turn on automatic downloads in an app enabled version of iTunes to create an archive of ipa files you have purchased (wish I knew this before).

There is one glimmer of hope... I tracked down Motz’s twitter handle. He seems to be active there. He fixed this last year when it went out of the App Store (according to this thread). I don’t use Twitter, but if someone who does could send him a message that would be great. https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesmontemagno
I used imazing to download the MMC app from my iPhone 6. What happens when you try to push it to your iPhone 8?

I wouldn't bug Motz; he doesn't work for Ceton anymore.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Scallica wrote:
Domageddon wrote:I’m having the same issue moving the app from my iPhone 6 to my new 8 Plus. I’ve contacted Apple Support and they couldn’t help. Apparently Apple decided (around iOS9) to start thinning pieces of Universal Apps out of your iOS device download to save space on your device. So the version you have on your phone is not a full ipa file and thus you cannot sync it to iTunes to copy it to another device. Since Apple doesn’t have the ipa file to send out, there’s nothing we can do. I also tried a third party app, imazing, and after contacting their support they confirmed it’s not possible to transfer apps anymore. It’s only possible to sync the user data files. So in the future, you should turn on automatic downloads in an app enabled version of iTunes to create an archive of ipa files you have purchased (wish I knew this before).

I used imazing to download the MMC app from my iPhone 6. What happens when you try to push it to your iPhone 8?

I wouldn't bug Motz; he doesn't work for Ceton anymore.
Are you sure you got the whole thing or just the data files? I️ could only get the data files and one folder called “Altered IPA “. I️ tried a bunch of 3rd party apps: imazing, iTools, ifunbox. The closest I️ came was I️ managed to get the app on my 8 thanks to the user here (Bryan Kennedy I️ think ) who posted the version of the ipa he had backed up in iTunes. When I️ try to open the app I am prompted for (I️ assume ) his appleid and password. So that’s where I️ am. Stuck. Desperate. I️ use this app CONSTANTLY at home and while traveling. Any ideas anybody has let’s share them and figure out a work around. It’s s a Dead app. Perhaps no one will care what we do with it. I️ was hoping Motz might make an unlocked version avail here but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. Any chance it’s avail on the App Store of another country ?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Jacoats wrote: Are you sure you got the whole thing or just the data files?
I don't know. imazing downloaded a file called "my MC.imazingapp" that is 41,478KB. I also have a backup of the app in my iTunes folder named "my MC 1.4.0.ipa" that is 42,412KB. The version of my phone is currently 1.4.5.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Scallica wrote:
Jacoats wrote: Are you sure you got the whole thing or just the data files?
I don't know. imazing downloaded a file called my MC.imazingapp that is 41,478KB. I also have a backup of the app in my iTunes folder named my MC 1.4.0.ipa that is 42,412KB. The version of my phone is currently 1.4.5.
Hi ok maybe you got I️t. Sounds like I️t or at least the parts you need. I️f you have the version backed up from iTunes (even the old one) I️ would try putting that on your 8 and see if I️t works. I used the “restore” function of Imore I️ think. I’ll check that. I️t put just that app right on my 8 plus