1609 WinTV-quadHD and InfiniTv6 Pci-e - Anybody tired this?

SciFiGeek

HTPC Specs: Show details

1609 WinTV-quadHD and InfiniTv6 Pci-e - Anybody tired this?

Post by SciFiGeek » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:48 pm

I have a SD Homerun - The oldest one and an Infinitv6 PCIE. I recently figured out that having only 2 OTA tuners is causing me some scheduling grief in addition to not having enough tuners available to record everything OTA in addition to over cable.

The Hauppauge 1609 Quad tuner caught my eye. It would give me 2 more tuners for around the cost of adding another low end SD tuner and a signal splitter (assuming I remove the SD). Has anyone tried this or similar Ceton configuration? Any watchouts? For example I know for the Infinitv6 and Homerun, always install the Infinitv6 first and then the Homerun. I suspect that may have more to do with the tuner count than anything.

If there are any thoughts about going a different way I am open.

I do have a bit of buyer's remorse for the Infinitv6 PCIe, so adding another internal tuner gives me pause. It is finicky in both the dongle to attach the cable and heat disipation (adding a side case fan cleared up a bunch of flaky tuning issues). In hindsight, I really wish I had gone for the Ethernet version.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:53 pm

This should work just fine. I Don't know anything about Ceton tuner install, but I use HDHR Primes and the Hauppauge Quad card. Just load the driver for the Quad HD and during Tuner setup in WMC you should see 4 ATSC tuners you can use. It will add some heat to your case obviously so you may want to keep an eye on case temps with both the Ceton and Quad installed.

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 am

I did add a WIntv-quadHD and I do not have problems from the tuner. Although there does seem to be an upper limit to concurrent recordings before playback of other programs degrades on my RAID 5 Array. I had significant issues when I installed Playon with multiple recordings and playback of those recordings.

Of course in this scenario it is important to realize the Ceton Driver is effectively performing the same functionality that Tuner Salad and installing it first and perhaps last too may be necessary to get a total of 6 OTA tuner's on board.

Other note is the 1609 WinTV-quadHD seems to add grounding / shielding to the case. I imagine it aids with signal interference. I use a few Logitech K400's (I think that is the model). Those keyboard and touchpad combos are my favorite for media center. The point is when using the mini-usb receiver for those, the added shielding disrupted the signal unless I used the USB stick extender.