Over-the-air TV problems

chicagopaul

HTPC Specs: Show details

Over-the-air TV problems

Post by chicagopaul » Sun May 10, 2015 2:51 am

I recently set up a WMC for a friend in Utah. The setup seemed normal and the guide downloaded as expected -- however many of the channels which displayed excellent signal strength in the signal strength meter failed to play on the PC. For example, digital channel 5.1 (KSL - NBC) failed to play, however the subchannel 5.2 worked fine. I thought it might be an HD problem since the main NBC signal was HD and the subchannel was not -- however I found that there were other HD stations in the listings that played ok.

Has anyone encountered similar problems in the past -- and how were they resolved?

Thanks for the help

Mountainbreeze

Post by Mountainbreeze » Sun May 10, 2015 1:49 pm

I think this will solve your issue as KSL is specifically listed as one of the problem stations....

This sounds a little like the problem that can occur when WMC does a channel scan and finds the wrong station. Over at Silicondust they describe a fix as follows. Even though you don't have an HDHomerun and QuickTV this MAY be the problem. Check it out.

Situation: when using an HDHomeRun Dual/Plus connected to an antenna to receive over the air broadcasts in the US, all channels play in QuickTV, and most play in WMC, but a couple give a no signal error. This may also appear as channels that work in Live TV mode but fail when recording, or vice versa. Note: this section only applies to broadcast TV, not cable.

Stations that are known to have had this issue in the past (others may also be affected):
◾WLS and WBBM Chicago
◾WESH Orlando
◾KGO/KTVU San Francisco
◾KIRO/KCPQ Seattle
◾WOIO Cleveland
◾KOPB Portland
◾Every major Salt Lake City station (KUTV/KTVX/KSL/KUED/KUEN/KBYU/KSTU/KUPX/KJZZ/KUCW)
◾WTAE Pittsburgh
◾WMVS Milwaukee
◾KVOA/KGUN/KOLD Tucson

In short, this issue occurs because these stations are/were transmitting on more than one channel in your region, either because of a channel change, or because of translator stations that are used to serve nearby towns that can’t receive the primary transmission due to terrain. WMC isn’t smart enough to know which one(s) you can receive, so it adds both, then guesses which one to use. If it guesses wrong, the channel will not work.

To correct the situation, go into Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels > affected channel > Edit Sources. Open HDHomeRun Setup alongside this. In WMC, you’ll see all the different sources you have for each channel. If you mouse over the different sources, it will show you at the bottom the channel number it is on. Disregarding the parts after the . and -, compare this to the channel listed in the Tune column for that channel in HDHomeRun Setup, and uncheck the ones that don’t match. For example, for KTVUDT, there will be entries in WMC that say 44.1 and 48.1. For most people, HDHomeRun Setup will list 44-3 for that channel. This means that 44.1 will be left enabled, and 48.1 needs to be disabled. Repeat for any other affected channels.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Mon May 11, 2015 2:23 am

+1. I have to do this for one of my stations. Happy camper now.

sterno9

Post by sterno9 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:36 pm

I just did a fresh install of windows 7 64 with full windows updates. System info: Z170 mb, Sandisk Boot SSD, WD mechanical HD for recordings, Hauppauge quad tuner . Cleveland WOIO CBS 19 won't tune in for me. I'm getting full signal strength, but the screen stays blank when I tune to it and eventually gives me a no signal message.

WMC wrongly detects woio 19 as digital 24.1. The repeater that I need is 10.2. I've disabled the WOIO 19.1 that WMC detected and manually added 10.2. It shows up in EPG with the correct 10.2 frequency and full correct info. From program guide, when I edit channel > edit sources all four tuners show the proper 10.2 at 100% signal strength.

As an experiment, I installed the Hauppauge WinTV8 and it was able to auto detect and tune all my locals including WOIO at 10.2.

Not sure what I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.

jojocardee

Post by jojocardee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:10 am

This means that 44.1 will be left enabled
ทางเข้า sbobet