CableCard diag error

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jaimeknapp

HTPC Specs: Show details

CableCard diag error

Post by jaimeknapp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm

I have been able to watch the diagnostics tool and have been getting in the CableCard tab:

Step 3 (should be OOB locked) is blank with a "?" in the OK column
Step 4 Not receiving messages yet...check signal, replace card...

Everything else checks out properly here and under the device tab.

These occur when already tuned to a working channel and present various Media Center messages: all tuners in use, not authorized, invalid channel, not subscribed, etc.. If left alone, the channel programming almost always restores and the diagnostic messages are reset correctly. This is occurring more and more frequently.

The real question is, can the Ceton card itself lose communication with the CableCard, or MUST it be the CableCard itself? I have reseated all connections and my signal and noise levels are all well within range. I have a replacement Ceton card, but do not want to start swapping that if I were to know the CableCard may actually be at fault.

Any thoughts other than to just ditch the Ceton, which obviously would not solve my problem if the CableCard is at fault?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Are you running the final beta release ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_15_1_13_152?

It contains a workaround for a CableCard FW bug which reboots the CC to avoid a deadlock. Manifests as a momentary loss of signal. I believe Cisco had a fix but few cablecos have rolled it out (IIRC).

It also contains a bug which causes a CC reboot when browsing the diag screens.

It's mentioned in here (somewhere): http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks. The existing card could not update its firmware, but that is loaded on the replacement that I have, so it looks as if swapping the Ceton is the only thing I can do at this point.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Having gotten used to 6 tuners, I found knowing what happens makes it easy to ignore (skip thru). YMMV But eventually, it'll die & need replacement. I can wait. Good luck!

EDIT: Since it's related to CC FW, I wonder how SD dealt with the issue???

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Issue resolved.

Turns out that the TA was the root cause and replacing it has resolved them. One point though, the Ceton was and is connected to the TA's output rather than using a splitter, which according to the TWC CS rep can cause anomolies on its RF and USB outputs in some failure modes. That could explain why all of the different Media Center messages when it barfed. How it may have reacted any differently had been connected through a splitter is unknown. I probably should have tried that first.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 am

This is what Ceton recommends.
Attachments
TaTunerUSB.jpg