Ceton4 USB and want to watch live tv on my Android TV Box

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ZippyTheChicken

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton4 USB and want to watch live tv on my Android TV Box

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:10 pm

I have one of those generic android tv boxes and I have a Ceton 4usb and I would like to watch live tv on my android tv box connected to my tv.

I have Kodi installed to watch recorded shows from my NAS..
it is clunky because I have way too many tv shows archived but it works.

Now since Comcast increased the cost of box rentals I want to get rid of a couple
and I want to watch off of a tuner in my ceton.

I need to be able to change stations easy and everything..
I run Win7 and Media Center on the computer that has the Ceton USB connected to it.

I don't really understand how I allocate a tuner for doing this...

Right now all 4 tuners are dedicated to recording shows and movies for my archive.

Also a bit nervous about opening ports and stuff.
And I don't have any game boxes or money for a ceton extender unfortunately
thanks

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Are the channels you want to watch DRM protected? If no, install ServerWMC on your Media Center PC:
https://serverwmc.github.io/
Then enable Live TV and the PVR.WMC Kodi plugin. This is how I use Media Center exclusively now (I use Android TV boxes). More info here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =22&t=9648

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:52 am

I think i have tried that before a long time ago.. i'll have to try it again.. i think my firewall was giving me problems when I tried.

someone else told me nextpvr maybe too
I don't want to get into any subscription costs though

thanks

if someone knows other ways .. i would be interested in that too :)

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:12 pm

I currently use my ceton tuners that way with emby clients.
That is using ServerWMC. I haven't set it up with Kodi but I have seen alot who have, it works.
I don't pay any subscriptios, I did pay for a lifetime of emby, but I am reasonably sure you don't need that to do TV through it

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 pm

I doubt it was your firewall giving you trouble with Kodi. In recent years kodi's implementation of SMB shares has been AWFUL. You need this with serverwmc because wmc actually still handles everything and then Kodi plays it from the recording / temp recording folder. This allows it to still pause RR / FF live TV even on an Android device with limited space. There are some registry edits you can do on your htpc to get SMB shares working on Kodi. It's been like this for a few years now and Kodi refuses to admit it's their fault... Even though no other software has this issue.... Bunch of nerds that think Linux is better than Windows... ANYWAY...

Emby is best in my opinion. However you will either need to pay lifetime or pay $5 for the app on each device you use it on. Depending on the device it can direct stream recordings and live TV with minimal transcoding so very low CPU usage on your htpc. Kodi plays everything direct... But in my opinion is too slow... Everytime you load Kodi it has to load the PVR add-on and it takes forever... Such a pain. This is on any device even a PC. I don't want to sit there and wait for the TV guide to load. Once it's running though it's pretty slick. Emby does allow you to bring your TV with you anywhere though... So it if you have a powerful CPU and good upload speeds... Emby is amazing.

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:50 am

I haven't had problems with SMB Shares in Kodi on my Android Box
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS the lowest end model 104 and
I can access the files from my Android Box through Kodi and
I use an app I downloaded from microsoft called RichCopy to copy my converted files to the nas
I really suggest using h265 for your compression
I am just doing some tests now and on shows like American Dad I can save 65% and on regular shows
I save about 55% over h264 mp4s that I save with MCEBuddy but
I use HandBrake for Windows to convert those h264 files to h265 and no visible loss of quality in my opinion
I think I will give Emby a shot on my Android Box this Week if I can Kodi does lagg a lot and I don't have much loaded on it

thats a lot of sentences starting with I .. heh noticed about the third line and went with it heh

thanks

The firewall problem I had if I remember is that the ServerWMC opens a bunch of ports on my computer and that was causing havoc .. but I can get past it maybe.. I just don't like things exposing my computer to the internet if I can reduce the exposure then I don't do it.

you know thats another thing when I do a c:\netstat -a
there are so many ports open by the ceton that I can't see other internet connections i wanted to block some ad sites in my host file and the ceton just kept spitting out ports that it had open and I couldn't even get past all that to see the remote IP of the site i wanted to block. .. anyway..

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:39 am

So I setup ServerWMC and the kodi plugin on my local computer and it seems to work well but there was some glitching on one station.. i hit back on the buffer and i think that might have helped but it did play the stations and keyboard commands to change stations worked fine.

also .. I record a lot and sometimes .. well a lot of the times all four tuners are taken and I was disapointed to see you can't view and record off the same tuner .. so if one is not open I basically have no access to live tv.. and if I set this up for a few TVs in the house to get rid of the comcast boxes and replace them with android boxes.. its going to be difficult to schedule recordings and play live tv.. I was hoping since what I record is what I want to watch .. that if a show was being recorded that I could watch it too.. you can in media center but not through this setup which I kinda understand but its a bit of a drag maybe.

Then I started looking at the option to use my android box and I have to create a share of the recorded tv folder with read permissions to everyone?

I don't have a local windows network set up .. I use SMB off my nas to access it but on my computer I have no drives shared.

And I think this is were I ended up last time.. I don't want to expose a share off my home computer because its my only computer and I don't want to risk sharing it outside of my local network or having someone able to access it over my wifi which uses strong encrption but what does that even matter since wifi is basically open if you know what you are doing.. so thats where i got to before I didn't want to setup a share.

If I had a dedicated media center server that might not be so bad but...

So I will have to consider the options I guess