Gyration Air Remote going crazy

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Zorn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Gyration Air Remote going crazy

Post by Zorn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 pm

I have the Gyration air remote, and a couple months ago, it started going absolutely crazy. Any button I press, does something different than what I pressed. Many of the buttons just cause 999999999999 to keep being pressed. Basically nothing functions other than the mouse. I thought the remote had gone bad, so I sent it in for repair to Gyration, but the new remote still does the exact same thing. I'm super confused as to what is going on here. Anyone have any ideas?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Only things I could think of to check would be the USB Receiver or USB port may be going bad.. Since this remote is RF instead of IR we can rule out IR interfearance. When you sent in the remote did you send in the USB Receiver also?
Do you have another PC you can try it on?
Or..
Do you have any other input devices hooked up that may be causing this issue?
Or..
Have you tried uninstalling the software/Drivers and re-installing them in case of a corrupt file?
I would most likely put my guess on a bad USB Receiver or USB Port.. have you tried it in a different USB port on the MB?
newfiend~

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Sometimes old batteries can do that too...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:00 pm

I had to take my Gyration Media Center remote apart a while back as I was getting missed button presses and unwanted button repeat problems.

I used a clean cloth and some contact cleaner on the PCB and key membrane and that soved my issues (any solvent that will remove grease would probably work just as well).

It might be worth a try if you see the same issues on another machine......

EDIT:

Just re-read and spotted that the new remote does the same thing - that blows my idea out of the window then!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I agree with Newfiend - try it on a second PC.

Zorn

Post by Zorn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Hmm so no idea what happened, but as I looked at the remote's screen, it was saying something about performing programming? So I pulled the batteries and unplugged and replugged the receiver, and it seems to be fixed. Kind of annoying since they've had my remote since November, and maybe the old one would have worked too? No idea.