How to install an infiniTV ETH 6?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
macdiver

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to install an infiniTV ETH 6?

Post by macdiver » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:42 am

Guyz,

I am getting the nfiniTV 6 ETH. Tired of paying for Time Warner cable boxes on two tvs and an adapter on an old CRT tv.

The problem is that I don’t know anything about how it works. I’ve looked everywhere for a multi-tv setup guide but can’t find anything much that is helpful.

I have a gaming computer I built in a computer room. The router is near it. I have run an Ethernet cable about 10 feet to my living room 32” Sony Bravda TV and Surround sound system to watch Netflix. The TV has HDMI and all. It has a Time Warner Cable Box hooked to it. My house is single family, only 1000sf single story with a crawl space. If needed I could pull Ethernet to the bedroom tv if that would save me the cost of an extender. Not sure how to get HDMI to it though. And I don’t know how to get the signal to the old CRT tv.

My bedroom, all the way across the opposite side of the house from the computer room has a new RCA LCD or LED tv with HDMI connected to a Time Warner cable box.

In another room I have an older cable CRT TV.

I plan on using only the game computer outlined below to run the whole system if you guyz think it’s compatible to use, hope so. I don’t want to hook my laptop to it for any kind of pooling.

I don’t know what an extender, right now an Xbox I understand, does to get the signal to a tv in another room.

How does the router support the Ceton and X Box or should a cable splitter be used in the setup so it doesn’t hose my wi-fi?
I don’t use pay tv like HBO, Netflix anymore, so connections to premier content is not needed.

I built the gaming rig below for fun, I guess back in 2008. I doesn’t have HDMI ports though.

Water cooled DFI Black P35 - T2RS LGA Socket 775, Intel Quad Q6600 Go Stepping. 2.3ghz

EGVA 8800 GTX 768 on board memory also water cooled.
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX DirectX 10 768-P2-N831-AR 768MB 384-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
• 768MB 384-Bit GDDR3
• Core Clock 575 MHz
• 2 x DVI
• 128 CUDA Cores
• PCI Express x16

Modem: Time Warner Arris SB6183 was upgraded to last year by them. Will I need to buy a modem like this? Renting it now. What it says on the specs of the modem.: I understand that it’s a router too. I don’t know what the specs mean. If I still need a router I can buy this one on Ebay for about $40. Or should I get something else?
Utilizing the power of DOCSIS 3.0, the SURFboard SB6183 provides an ultra-fast Internet experience. The SB6183 enables channel bonding of up to 16 downstream channels and four upstream channels, which provide download speeds up to 686 Mbps. Speeds that fast take HD video streaming and online gaming to a whole new level. Future-proof your home network with the SB6183.
• 16X Faster than DOCSIS 2.0
• Download speeds up to 686 Mbps
• DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
• 16 download and 4 upload channels
• Supports IPv4 and IPv6 – the latest Internet standard
• Compatible with major U.S. Cable Providers
Router: Netgear N600 wireless is 2.4 and 5ghz. I run the game rig attached to it via Ethernet and run my Sony Vaio Laptop and two smartphones wirelessly through it. I use Time Warner Turbo internet. Not sure what the up and down are but it’s supposed to be fast.

If I HAVE to I could run the system through my Sony Vaio. It has HDMI, Intel I3, 500gb HDD, Nvidia GeForce Graphics, Windoz 7 Home Premium SP1, 64bit, 2.13ghz

With the info I gave can you guyz please recommend how to get started with the Ceton system, what I might need, etc?

Thanks!

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:19 am

Hello

First off, welcome to the forums..

To briefly explain overall how the system works is as follows:

1) ETH connects thru an Ethernet port on the router
2) Computer (which preferably runs Windows 7 & has Windows Media Center Installed (WMC)). This handles the recording of the shows & "directs traffic". Most people will connect the computer to the nearest TV via HDMI. The computer would need to be also plugged into another port on the router.
3) The extender is used for each room outside of the one the computer resides in. The most reliable would be the Xbox 360. These would need to have a separate Ethernet cable run to each room that would have this. From there, the Xbox would be connected to the TV. When you tell the Xbox to run Windows Media Center, it "remotes" into the computer running Windows Media Center, to display the main Windows Media Center interface. From there, you can watch live tv, recorded tv, schedule a show, etc. If you have multiple tv in your place, one person can be watching one show & another person can be watching another

I mentioned that everything needs to be plugged in because it's more reliable compared to running wireless.

You mentioned one of your TV's was a CRT. I know they make an HDMI to Component (Video R Audio, L Audio) adapter, but not sure how well that works with WMC

Looking at the computer configuration, I would say that it's probably fine for running WMC, but not sure how well it would be if you were also playing any games (especially any intense games). Most people would say that having a computer dedicated to WMC is probably best. You also mentioned that it doesn't have HDMI. If you wanted to connect the computer to the nearest TV to use it, you would need to get a new graphics card. If you wanted to get a cheap one that works, a 6450 should work (I believe these are around $50).

You mentioned you have a SB6183. Unless this is a special version, this is just a modem (not router). Can I ask how many Ethernet ports are on the back? If it's just 1, You would need a router (to plug everything in) It would need to have gigabit ports or 100/1000. depending on how many rooms & devices you have to connect, you may also need to buy a gigabit switch.

Hopefully this helps explain a little more. Feel free to ask more questions.

macdiver

Post by macdiver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:43 am

I've been doing a lot of looking for a HDMI video card but confusion reigns. My DFI Dark motherboard is out of business and has no bios updates available that I have seen so I can't update the bios to accept 2.0 PCI X 16 cards if needed. It's a version 1 PCI x16 but I understand that the 2.0 and maybe the 3.0 may be backwards compatible. I was going to call VisionTek today to ask them for recommendations but got busy and didn't have time. One ? is does it matter the amount if GB on the card? Some go down to 512 and others have one or more GB. The first connection will be my Sony Bravda HD TV and surround sound system so I need good video and sound to it.

My ETH 6 came today used from Ebay so now I have to hurry to ensure it works as the warranty is 30 days on it. Since it might take some time to decide on a video card on my game computer I may have to hook it to my laptop to check the system.

I have no idea what Xbox to get. There are so many configurations available. Does the amount of GB matter? Some are as low as 4gb others are 300 - 500. The one below is only 50 bucks, refurb at Gamestop. Wireless controller. That a good one? I can't tell by the specs how much ram it has and disc space.
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/consol ... uctDetails

Update: Since the tv in the bedroom is HDMI and apparently some Xboxes are HDMI, is that what I need or prefered?
This one has eithernet and HDMI included: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/consol ... uctDetails

Suggestions?
Thanks!

macdiver

Post by macdiver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:13 am

I was going to edit the above again but I won't seem to let me. I have this refurb unit on hold at Game Stop in my town and can pick it up in the store. It was a $300 or more unit in 2013 for $119. I'll either hear back from you guyz and will ask them at the store about it and comparable units. Since I don't know anything about them this seems to be a good deal. I'll go by Time Warner tomorrow and pick up a cable card unit and see if I can hook it all up using my Sony Vaio. It has HDMI, a 500gb hdd I3 intel core and Nvidia graphics so it should do the job until I can get a video card for my game machine. I don't play games on it any more so that won't be an issue.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/consol ... hed/107561

EDIT: Looks like my Netgear router can handle the job I looked and it's ETHERNET
10/100/1000 [Gigabit] (5 ports)

Thanks for your input on this guyz!

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:24 am

Unless you want an Xbox with space for games, you only need the 4GB model for WMC purposes. I would get a Slim model at least, the originals were painfully loud.

The gaming computer is very old and slow by any current standards but should be able to do this at least short term. I would replace the video card with something low power (you don't need a gaming card for this), although I'd also ultimately just replace the system.

Internet speed won't matter. If at all possible, run a wire for everything and use a dedicated switch for your network.

macdiver

Post by macdiver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:44 am

Got ya. What is a dedicated switch? And what does it do? Any thoughts on the amount video ram needed on the video card?
Thanks!

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:28 pm

A switch that's not the ports on your router, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833122128 Many people here have had poor performance using the switch in the router. You'd have the incoming cable to the modem, modem to router, router to switch, and connect your devices to the switch.

You wouldn't need a lot of video memory. Something low power, low profile, optionally fanless. My HTPC uses the Intel graphics onboard its Pentium dual core (HD 4000, I think). It's more than enough. It uses HDMI to send audio and video out. The only thing that changes that is if you want to game on it, but if this is still the Q6600 that'd hold you back a lot.

macdiver

Post by macdiver » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Bryan wrote:A switch that's not the ports on your router, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833122128 Many people here have had poor performance using the switch in the router. You'd have the incoming cable to the modem, modem to router, router to switch, and connect your devices to the switch.

You wouldn't need a lot of video memory. Something low power, low profile, optionally fanless. My HTPC uses the Intel graphics onboard its Pentium dual core (HD 4000, I think). It's more than enough. It uses HDMI to send audio and video out. The only thing that changes that is if you want to game on it, but if this is still the Q6600 that'd hold you back a lot.
I ordered the switch from your link last night. Thanks Bryan!

I went to Game Stop today and a very knowledgeable young lady instead sold me a 4gb X Box Model 1493 refurb for $80 bucks. I also got the 2 year warranty for $10 bucks so in all it cost $90.

I called Time Warner and ordered the Cable Card and adapter or whatever they'll send. The tech said they'd send a splitter so that the internet would go to one cable and the Ceton and X Box would go to another - If I understood that right.

Need some advise on this issue. Ceton has a You Tube video setup guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNlwijt ... 12&list=WL
But at 1:33 on the video it says not to use the Network Tuner Wizard. Should I use it or not? Says it's for advanced users.

Another problem I"m having is that both my Win 7 game machine and my laptop has stopped installing Windoz updates. What is does is say it's installing but the download never goes past zero on anything and I have tried small single installs rather them all at once. Even ones for updates for Office don't work

Since 1997 when I started building computers I have never had to take a computer to a computer shop till now. But I have to get this problem solved and they say they know how to fix it. I don't want to try to install Ceton and all the windoz software without the computers being up to date. Could cause major issues. Is there some secret I don't know about with that issue? I have them sent to me but I install them myself, especially that MS is trying their ass off to load Windoz 10 on everyone's computer, like it or not. Anyone know the trick to fix this issue?

Appreciate all the help with this everyone. I didn't even know where to start until you guys pointed the way.

macdiver

Post by macdiver » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:32 am

As far as a controller I am looking at an app for my Samsung S7. In Play Store it's called Media Center Control. Along with this link to the dev
http://mediacentercontrol.com/en/index_ ... .php#video
Anyone else use something like this?
Suggestions?
Thanks

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:49 am

For the Windows updates, 7 getting stuck searching for updates is common. Download these two updates (probably only need the second): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=46817 and https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53332. Stop the Windows Update service, install, reboot, check for updates again.

$80 for the Xbox isn't bad. Probably not the best deal ever but for what you need it's better than the first one you listed. You'll have coax going to your modem and coax to the Ceton.

For remote, I've been using Ceton's My Media Center for years. It works well enough but may not be available any more. Someone else around here might know other options.

macdiver

Post by macdiver » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:52 am

I went and bought a TV Cable splitter (1 cable to 2) do I really need this? I assume one cable goes to the modem and the other to the Ceton. It keeps my TVs and internet separate from my wireless lap top an two Android S7 phones? I think I now have everything I needed to hook it up tomorrow. I found a Ceton set up video on you tube and plan on using that to do the step by step and not screw it up out the gate.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:02 am

If the cable modem & computer with the Ceton are going to be in the same room, then you will need to split the cable wire. This is no different then splitting the cable for the cable modem & a cable box, thus the TV signal & internet signal are separate.

For a remote control to use, the Logitech Harmony ones work great. In fact, Best Buy has one on sale http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-ha ... Id=9837565 & you can use the computer to program it.

A couple of messages up, you mentioned "Network Tuner Wizard". Since you have the ETH model, you won't need this. This was for people who had the internal version, who wanted to dedicate some of the tuners to other computers in the house (i.e. Bob's computer can record 2 channels, Cindi's computer can record 2 channels, etc) With the ETH version, you could do the same thing, as the multiple computers would just share the tuners when needed.

Now I will give you a couple of items to be aware about:

1) It's best not to run any 3rd party firewall software on the computer you're going to setup, as the Ceton software will auto configure the default Windows firewall

The 2nd one is, When you go to setup WMC, it will probably say, it can only find 4 tuners (WMC was original designed to only have 4 tuners of a specific type of tuner i.e. 4 cable card tuners, 4 OTA tuners, etc). To workaround this do the following:

1) When it asks if you want to accept the # of tuners, it found, click on cancel & close media center
2) Open Ceton Diagnostics Screen
3) Click on the Devices Tab
4) Click on "Reset Network settings". It might ask if you want to add/accept, etc to the firewall. Click on Yes
5) Click on "Clear Network Tuner" This will take a minute or two. You should see a popup, mentioning something about clicking on Discover tuners. Click OK
6) Click on "Discover Tuners". Wait until the message pops up saying this is done

7) Go back into Media Center & Go to the setup screen. When it tries to detect the tuners, it should tell you that it found 6

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:48 am

macdiver wrote:Need some advise on this issue. Ceton has a You Tube video setup guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNlwijt ... 12&list=WL
But at 1:33 on the video it says not to use the Network Tuner Wizard. Should I use it or not? Says it's for advanced users.

Follow Cetons advice, do not install Network Tuners.

Get the PC stable first before you install the TV card. Make sure no ??? in device manager. For the NIC use the drivers from the manufacturer of the NIC. Find the Model number of the motherboard, go to the manufacturer of the board, and use their drivers for everything else...chipset, audio, etc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... ivers.html