IFTV4 and pixelation

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
groucho111

HTPC Specs: Show details

IFTV4 and pixelation

Post by groucho111 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:15 am

Lots of pixelation lately and the wife acceptance factor is going down. At first I thought just a single tuner of my IFTV4 was going bad but I started recording 4 shows at the same time and had pixelation and audio skips on all four channels. I have an HDHP prime in my office and it is working fine. No issues.

About a year ago I had terrible pixelation and internet interruption (Comcast) the tech came out and cut the ends off all my cables, replaced, and gave me high quality splitters. My signal quality went from a -12 to almost 0. No issues until now.

My cable comes into my house to a closet in the second floor, then to a splitter. One line takes a long travel downstairs to the living room to a wall plate. then a 15 foot rg6 to the media center PC and the IFTV4.

The second line from the closet also takes a long trip downstairs to my office. Split again and one line goes to the cable modem in the office and the other to a Silicon dust HDHR Prime in the office. No issues with pixelation on the HDHR Prime in the office at all. I checked signal strenght for the prime and it says -6.0. I am thinking of getting rid of the IFTV4 and getting a second Prime if I cant get this thing figured out

I checked signal level and sig to noise ratio and temp on all four (IFTV4):

1- signal level= -0.7
Sig to noise= 38.6 db
temp: 50.8

2- sig level= -2.0
STN= 37.9
temp= 50.9

3- sig level= -0.1
STN= 37.9
temp= 50

4- sig level -2.5
STN= 36.8
temp

Any help, thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
groucho111

Quick Reply
Post a reply

bbragg

Post by bbragg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:07 pm

I get the same when I have a drive saturated or going bad. For example, I did a re-install of WMC at one point and for some reason it ran a task that read through all of my old recordings which are on one drive where the live buffer is also located. This process took a few hours and my drive light was on solid and TaskMgr showed the drive at 100% utilization. All channels I tuned were pixelated and froze from time to time. Once the process was complete a few hours later, everything was back to normal and I had no issues.

If you've got drive errors occurring on your buffer drive, I'll be you would see the same thing ... pixelation and freezing.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:16 pm

groucho111 wrote:My cable comes into my house to a closet in the second floor, then to a splitter. One line takes a long travel downstairs to the living room to a wall plate. then a 15 foot rg6 to the media center PC and the IFTV4.
Connect the main line of house directly to the line going to the PC using a coax female/female connector (eliminating the splitter from the equation). If the issue still persists, connect a newly run coax line from the main line of the house to the PC (you can run the wire down the steps, through the hallways, just as a test).

If the issue STILL persists, throw the infiniTV in the garbage and get another HDHR.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct