Has Ceton Tanked?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
DarkKaplah

HTPC Specs: Show details

Has Ceton Tanked?

Post by DarkKaplah » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:41 pm

While looking for a new network tuner on Amazon I noticed there are no new Ceton tuners for sale on Amazon. The older Infinitv4 PCIe and the Echo are the only devices showing up currently. I know there was some floundering after the Q was screwed over by Microsoft and the failure of the Echo hardware to be Android upgrade-able. Has the company completely tanked? They were extremely active on Facebook and Twitter until last year and now they seem to have gone silent. What's the story here? I'm trying to decide if I should sell off my Infinitv 4 while I can and replace it with a HDHomerun Prime.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:56 pm

The consensus seems to be that they are pretty much dead, or at least on life support. Not sure why, but it may be the recent court settlement where they need to pay almost $1 million to Gibson (plus any expenses incurred to fight the case).

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =30&t=6724
Last edited by Space on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Jeremy Hammer the CEO is the only person 'left'.
Ceton wound down to nada some time ago. Possibly due to the litigation but that's just speculation.
He is focusing on a couple of other products now.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:19 am

Just doing the math... Did Ceton even make a million dollars the entire time they were in business? Assuming the sold 8,000 InfiniTV tuners at an average of $125 wholesale that would be $1 million before overhead... I don't know... It seems like a long shot.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 pm

I hope my 2 infinitiv's continue to work! I hear good things about the silicon dust tuners, but certainly dont want to shell out the cash for new tuners (and only end up with 6 vs my current 8 tuners).

It is shame, I had high hopes for Ceton. They seemed poised to possibly write their own media center-like software to go with their hardware. Have to assume that was in their plans. :(

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:58 pm

kd6icz wrote:Just doing the math... Did Ceton even make a million dollars the entire time they were in business? Assuming the sold 8,000 InfiniTV tuners at an average of $125 wholesale that would be $1 million before overhead... I don't know... It seems like a long shot.
They also have commercial video distribution products used for hotels, buildings, etc.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:18 pm

Scallica wrote: They also have commercial video distribution products used for hotels, buildings, etc.
Lol! Oh... Yeah. I asked for documentation about those "products" once and the response I got was very evasive. I pushed them a bit and the only bit of detail they provided was it was based on a modified version of the PCIe 6. So... I'm not convinced these "commercial solutions" ever really existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:11 pm

kd6icz wrote:
Scallica wrote: They also have commercial video distribution products used for hotels, buildings, etc.
Lol! Oh... Yeah. I asked for documentation about those "products" once and the response I got was very evasive. I pushed them a bit and the only bit of detail they provided was it was based on a modified version of the PCIe 6. So... I'm not convinced these "commercial solutions" ever really existed.

They used to make this thing with ATX, but probably not anymore http://atxnetworks.com/cable_tv_product ... ge-analog/

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:55 pm

RyC wrote: They used to make this thing with ATX, but probably not anymore http://atxnetworks.com/cable_tv_product ... ge-analog/
Hmmm.... That's cool! I wonder why they just didn't say that?

Ceton was so frustrating! Such great concepts with so many bugs. I owned several of their units and finally just gave up and switched to Primes. Sad.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Their web page hasn't been updated in a looong time. I'd give them a C+ for design and execution. I have 2 ETH's that need to be power cycled every day, along with my HTPC. If not, I'll get tuner errors in the evening when recording more often than not. Generally, no issues after that's done.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:53 pm

mldenison wrote: I'd give them a C+ for design and execution. I have 2 ETH's that need to be power cycled every day, along with my HTPC. If not, I'll get tuner errors in the evening when recording more often than not. Generally, no issues after that's done.
That sounds like an F- to me.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:02 am

[quote="mldenison"] I have 2 ETH's that need to be power cycled every day, along with my HTPC. If not, I'll get tuner errors in the evening when recording more often than not. /quote]

This would happen to me until I put a fan under the ETH6. Now it works most of the time.

I got excited last week when I thought my ETH 6 was fried by lightning and I could get a HD Prime :). Unfortunately it was just a dead Ethernet port on my router :(.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:35 am

Yeah, the Prime is extremely reliable. I never reboot it and it never has a problem. Too bad it is only 3 tuners, I'd like at least an extra one without having to get another CableCard.

Some years ago Silicon Dust had announced some new versions of the Prime, one with 6 tuners and one with 3 tuners and a transcoder, but they never materialized...

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm still using the Infinitv4 PCIe that I bought back in 2011.

It's been rock solid for me.

I'm not looking forward to only having three tuners if I ever have to replace it with an HDHomerun device.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:07 pm

oakley516 wrote:I'm still using the Infinitv4 PCIe that I bought back in 2011.

I'm not looking forward to only having three tuners if I ever have to replace it with an HDHomerun device.
Same here.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:01 am

I also use fans on both my ETH's so the occasional problem is not heat related. I'd have moved to two Primes if the 6 channel versions had ever materialized. They'll never see the light of day.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:39 am

oakley516 wrote:I'm still using the Infinitv4 PCIe that I bought back in 2011.

Back when I was OTA only, I had a PCIe tuner card. Thinking I was upgrading, I got a HD Homerun OTA ethernet device. It worked great until the router rebooted. After that, all the PCs needed to be re-booted (just like my ETH6 connected PCs now). So having an internal card definitely makes things simpler and more reliable for both Ceton or HD Homerun products. Neither vendor can make this better as it is a WMC issue.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:45 am

mldenison wrote:I also use fans on both my ETH's so the occasional problem is not heat related. I'd have moved to two Primes if the 6 channel versions had ever materialized. They'll never see the light of day.
Wow it sounds like you have a lot of tuners/PCs. Are you using tuner sharing? I locked 3 tuners to each of my 2 PCs. My kids are getting older, streaming more, using fewer tuners. Once I go HD Prime, I am not worried about having only 3 tuners but I do have concerns about tuner sharing.

cozone

Post by cozone » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:35 pm

I noticed this recently too. Its sad because their technology was incredible, and always ahead of its time. I still have my Infinitv 6 pcie that i got when they first came out and its still working great. Also they work great with linux too. If something were to ever happen to my ceton card, ill probably just drop cable. I don't think i could downgrade to having two 3 tuner HDHRs. It would mean renting two cablecards and getting two HD fees and have two boxes cluttering up my living room. I'll probably get a TBS card for my next tuner. Either for OTA, or FTA satellite or hell maybe even C-band.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 pm

smassey22180 wrote:Wow it sounds like you have a lot of tuners/PCs. Are you using tuner sharing? I locked 3 tuners to each of my 2 PCs. My kids are getting older, streaming more, using fewer tuners. Once I go HD Prime, I am not worried about having only 3 tuners but I do have concerns about tuner sharing.
My two other PC's have access to the tuners via WMC. However, each PC access WMC rarely, once or twice a month.