How to setup WMC with Windows Embedded?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
duder_me

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to setup WMC with Windows Embedded?

Post by duder_me » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:16 pm

I am able to get Windows Embedded 7 and 8 through DreamSpark for free, and even though my current Home Premium setup works fine, I am very interested in learning how to setup a machine that solely runs WMC.

However, there are a few roadblocks in the way. From what I understand, one is able to load drivers during the setup process before Embedded is installed, but I'm not sure how that exactly works. Another issue is that I use an ATI TV Wonder 600 USB tuner that requires using ATI's installers in Windows 7 before being able to use the device, so no easy plug and play. What are the differences between Compact and Standard and which one is better for WMC? Also, how does one go about installing addons in the Embedded environment, like YouTube and Amazon Video, as well as using codecs for formats like MKV? How can you setup the Internet time server so it updates frequently and doesn't lag behind?

For most people, I understand the process may not be totally worth it, but I would like to try it out and see if it's something I can stick with. Thanks!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:37 pm

This might get you on the right track.
http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... -embedded/

I think compact is for devices like phones and tablets. I wrote a few programs for my Windows CE PDAs back in the day (predecessor to embedded) in embedded vb. I wrote one that controlled my home automation system from my PDA. Fun times.

Ceton Q was going to run on Windows Embedded before MS pulled the plug.

Let us know how it works out.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:10 am

I also would be interested in this too, a true WMC appliance.... I also have access to Windows 7 embedded but, never played with it (I have a key I got from when I had a MSDN sub). Its one of those WMC projects that I have ALWAYS wanted to play with...

Let me know where you go with this, I might try a few things and do it in a VM as a test bed to see how well it works. I wonder how drivers and other devices work (like you), as I have tried running WMC as the SHELL in Windows (and it works almost the same, no explorer) but, the problems is, my Ceton tuner drivers never loaded so it's worthless.. never really got too much deeper than that

Feel free to drop me an email at MY USER NAME @ Hotmail.com
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

duder_me

Post by duder_me » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:05 am

To be honest, I haven't come around to installing Embedded yet because of feeling intimidated by the driver setup process, and that what I have now with Windows booting directly into MC has been working fine for me. I never thought about using a VM, so I guess I will try that without having to create a separate partition for testing.