How do I get TWC to add a package with On-demand

robjbro9

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do I get TWC to add a package with On-demand

Post by robjbro9 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Ok, got TWC basic package, with a HDHomerun Prime, cablecard, WMC on windows 7 setup.

My wife is filipino, I tried to add the international filipino package to my services online, I get an email saying there is a problem, call in. I do, the guy goes through all the motions to add it and is almost done then says, wait, you have a cablecard right? Sure, yes I do. Then he says a package with on demand content cannot be added to an account using a cablecard. Odd, seeing as how the basic package has on demand I do believe. I really do not care, I do not want the 1 on demand channel, I want the 4 or 5 regular channels in that package. He wa supposed to call me back with a resolution yesterday, but naturally never heard from him. All that took over half an hour.

Anyone have experience with this? Is there some magic request I can make to get this added, or should I just give up?

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 21, 2016 6:39 pm

On-demand content is not viewable with CableCard, of course, but I see no reason that you could not get the package you want and just watch the linear channels (like you said, this is what all CableCard customers do).

I am not sure of a route within Verizon to get them going, but perhaps the Verizon Direct forum (private forum between you and a Verizon tech) may get you somewhere? https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

If all else fails, you can file a complaint with the FCC, as they are required by law to provide the same service to CableCard customers as they do the STB-renting customers (except for on-demand). Reporting to the FCC has been known to work to get the cable company in line. https://www.fcc.gov/media/cablecard-know-your-rights

robjbro9

Post by robjbro9 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:25 am

After a second call and the same result, I just filed the FCC complaint this morning. Apparently its just their policy to deny packages like that to cable card customers. Oh btw, this was Time Warner, not verizon. I emailed a copy of the FCC complaint to TWC as well, not that that will matter any probably, but we shall see now. Not expecting a speedy reply from either side honestly, but perhaps I will be surprised.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun May 22, 2016 12:54 pm

robjbro9 wrote:I do not want the 1 on demand channel, I want the 4 or 5 regular channels in that package.
Do those channels appear in your WMC channel guide? What happens if you try to tune to those channels?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 22, 2016 1:34 pm

To me this looks like they are bending the rules because they only offer the regular channels in a package with the on demand one. Presumably you cannot pick the regular channels a la carte?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 22, 2016 5:44 pm

robjbro9 wrote:After a second call and the same result, I just filed the FCC complaint this morning. Apparently its just their policy to deny packages like that to cable card customers. Oh btw, this was Time Warner, not verizon. I emailed a copy of the FCC complaint to TWC as well, not that that will matter any probably, but we shall see now. Not expecting a speedy reply from either side honestly, but perhaps I will be surprised.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Whoops! Don't know why I thought it was Verizon, must have confused it with another post I read earlier. Anyway, good luck!
STC wrote:To me this looks like they are bending the rules because they only offer the regular channels in a package with the on demand one. Presumably you cannot pick the regular channels a la carte?
Yeah, but he is not asking for those channels a la carte, he wants the complete package and just won't be able to use the on-demand channel. It's not like he is asking for a discount for not being able to use the on-demand channel.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Mon May 23, 2016 9:15 pm

With TWC in our area (Dallas/Ft Worth) you can get those on demand channels through any streaming device that will host the TWC streaming app. I get it through Android devices and Xbox360. But you do have to be subscribed to get it. You may want to remind your local TWC rep of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

robbro

Post by robbro » Thu May 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Ok, got a call back from TWC regarding the FCC complaint. THere was "a problem with the system" and that was all that was really preventing me from getting the channels now. Funny thing is I thought BS at first, but then oddly enough when the lady went to add the channels again with my authorization after the problem had been fixed, she said, oh wait... its still not letting me. So after 2 more phone calls after THAT one, it finally got resolved and the channels added, along with a discount on my package. I'm at work now, just waiting to get home and see if I have the channels (half way expecting everything to be wiped out and have no channels honestly...).

But at least the FCC thing did get htem moving and motivated to contact me, instead of me going round and round endlessly on hold with yet another person that couldnt help me.

Funny item #2, the lady got to asking about my hardware, I just said one cable card. Then she asked "how many tvs at home? One right?" I said no, 3 or 4. Her reply was curious, but just one cable card, seemingly not understanding a thing about what the cable card is or does, mind you this is the one in charge of resolving the FCC complaint about cable cards.... She asked about splitters or how I was getting 4 tvs off one card, I even tried explaining the 3 tuner device I was using, but it was for naught, i finally just gave the answers she was expecting instead of trying to explain their own system to them...

Space

Post by Space » Thu May 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Nice.

I'm actually a bit surprised that filing an FCC complaint works as well as it does, but I am certainly glad it does. Congrats.

I am NOT surprised that the cable company would know next to nothing about cable cards. They mostly like to pretend they don't exist. A multi-stream card can handle up to 6 streams at once and a CC device can distribute those streams over your home LAN to 6 different TVs. But for the longest time you could only $$rent$$ equipment from them that allowed you to view TV on one TV per $$rented$$ box. I wonder why??? $$$$$$

robbro

Post by robbro » Fri May 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Yea, these people are just screwing with me.... I get home and I was right, most the channels I used to have I no longer have. I do have the filipino package I want added, but my old preferred package has been switched over to "El Paquetazo, Neustra Tele and TV en Espanol"... WTF!!!!!

On a chat with a rep now.. i have been polite and nice throughout this whole process.... but after screwup after screwup im done...

robbro

Post by robbro » Fri May 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Ah this online chat is a comedy too... first person I get i go through the whole process of explaining the situation... "oh I cannot help you let me transfer you". Get a nice message about I'm waiting because the next person is reviewing my transcript... They get on and say, "So I see you would like to add a channel...". F no... fix my problem... "Oh you want the filipino package added I see".... F no.... read the transcript!!! "Oh so cancel the spanish channels?" Wait, we are getting there, thats half right.... its still ongoing so I cant wait to see how this wraps up....
Next I'll get home and a TWC van will be in my driveway and the serviceman in bed with my wife?????

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:25 am

Sounds like you got stuck with the Tier 1 support line. All they know how to do is read a script and tell you to turn your device on and off again. Anytime I have any issue I call the cable card support number and they are more than helpful and knowledgeable. If you need it their number is 1-866-532-2598.

robbro

Post by robbro » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Oh, neat, didnt know there was a dedicated cable card line, will try that in the future.

Anyway its still ongoing... so frustrating. I finally got my main package straightened out with a chat(I made clear to the CS person I wanted preferred, in english and the filipino package). Got home that evening and my normal channels were back, but alas the filipino package was cancelled.

Tried adding it online, only to get the same email again about unable to complete the order, please call in. I tried a chat to no avail, apparently they are even less useful than the phone people. I call in and the lady is about to help me, then she says this will be $38 a month. I'm like wait... no no no, its 24.99/month online. She says yea, but if i call in to get it its 38. I explain that I ordered it online, but it will not complete, then i was instructed to call in. I just want it added for hte advertised price. No go according to her... so I still do not have it... I amended my FCC complaint with the full detail of all the ways this has been screwed up and the final conversation I had on pricing. Not sure if it has or will get to them, have not heard back yet. So damn frustrating for no reason at all.

I get the feeling they make 1 time exceptions for people that complain with cable cards, but keep the restriction in the system to just discourage or make it harder to actually have one. At any rate, I have thought I have spoken to CS reps with half a brain both on phone and on chat, only to get home time and time again and see that they found yet another way to screw up a simple request.

From what I hear its typical cable company customer service...

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:05 pm

robbro wrote:
From what I hear its typical cable company customer service...
Trust me the grass is NOT greener on the other carrier side of the fence. Had nightmares with Comcast, as bad as your issues in the past, and FCC complaint makes them call, I have had to do it 2-3 times over the years.

My only luck is, to get it to work...One it works, as long as channels dont start falling off (they didnt pair it correctly), and I never call them...Accept when the bill goes up for 50th time in 2 years... :-\
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

robbro

Post by robbro » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Just as an update, several weeks later I still do not have the package I want. I'm not sure if or when the FCC follows up, but I'm just giving up till then. About 3 weeks ago the nice lady that helped me right after the filing of hte FCC complaint called back and said she was still working on it. Something along the lines of their system would not allow the filipino package to be added to an account with the english package, it auto switched to spanish (which makes 0 sense, and I cannot believe I would be the first or only english speaking customer to want to add the filipino package but whatever). That was a Thursday or Friday and she said she would contact me the next monday with a resolution or to let me know it couldnt be fixed. Seemed direct and sincere about it all but alas I never heard back.

At any rate, I shouldnt reward such BS by sending them even more of my money every month I guess. Wife will just have to continue streaming her shows online.

The whole experience seems a bit surreal now, really absurd.