WMC recordings aren't resuming properly from pause/stop

frostillicus

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC recordings aren't resuming properly from pause/stop

Post by frostillicus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I've had this problem occasionally for a while, but it seems to be much more frequent lately. For example, I'm watching a recording and I'll be 35 minutes into an hour-long show and I'll stop it with the intention of watching the rest later. If I browse around for a few seconds and go back, it will properly detect my resume point and I'm good to go. If I leave it for hours or come back to watch the rest a day or 2 later, it starts again from the beginning like it doesn't recognize the placeholder.

Is there a fix for this or some known cause? It's not that big of a deal as I can fast forward back to the correct spot, but it is annoying.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:10 am

Are you moving your recorded videos outside of the "Recorded TV" folder/folders? It is my understanding that resume will only work consistently on .WTV files if they are located within one of the folders marked as "Recorded TV".

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 am

Space wrote:Are you moving your recorded videos outside of the "Recorded TV" folder/folders? It is my understanding that resume will only work consistently on .WTV files if they are located within one of the folders marked as "Recorded TV".
This was my experience using WMC on Vista. However, there is one additonal qualification:

WMC retains the resume point for recordings that have been moved to the "Videos" section if the recording is part of a series recording and that series is still scheduled to record.

If the recording is a one-off recording (not part of a series), or the recording was recorded as part of a series but that series reservation has since been deleted, WMC does not retain the resume point.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

frostillicus

Post by frostillicus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm not moving the recorded videos. I have them writing to a folder that's other than the default location because it defaults to the C: drive which is an SSD and I want them going to a larger spinning disk, but it is still called Recorded TV and is the setting I have selected in configure. I don't do any manipulation to convert from WTV to some other format or do commercial skip. I haven't been keeping track if it only happens to one-offs versus series recordings, but I can say the recent instances were all for series recordings because that's what I've been watching lately.

I'm curious if it could be temp files getting deleted or something. I don't know exactly how WMC stores the placeholders. I do use Avast (free) for AV in addition to MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit. Not sure if any of those could be responsible.