WMC - 7 vs 8.1

resarfekim

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC - 7 vs 8.1

Post by resarfekim » Tue May 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Hello,

I am considering replacing my xbox 360 extender with a small WIndows pc. I would like to share a channel from my Ceton InfiniTV 4pci to that new pc, which I understand is ONLY allowed if the host pc is on Windows 7.

I've been running 8.1 for a while, 8 before that. I honestly don't remember if 7 was any better or worse, or if there are any known issues. What, if anything, would I be losing if I downgrade to 7? My pc is used almost exclusively for WMC and a little Kodi.

Thanks for you opinion,
Mike

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Tue May 03, 2016 10:02 pm

It is my understanding that WMC on Windows 8.1 is nearly identical to the Windows 7 version. You would probably have better compatibility with Windows 7 anyway.

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Tue May 03, 2016 10:14 pm

It's the same I would stick with 7.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:28 am

However, due to DRM, anything recorded on one of the HTPCs cannot be played on the other if it is a copy once channel. Xbox's as extenders get around this because they are logging on to the host HTPC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

resarfekim

Post by resarfekim » Thu May 05, 2016 6:03 am

Wilky13 wrote:However, due to DRM, anything recorded on one of the HTPCs cannot be played on the other if it is a copy once channel. Xbox's as extenders get around this because they are logging on to the host HTPC.
Yes, and that brings me to another question, for which I should probably start another thread...

I would like to set up an scheduled job that moves all non-copy-once recordings to a separate TV folder. Then I will share that folder with the second WMC pc. I can see which are copy once in Windows Explorer, by adding the "protected" detail column...
But I haven't found a way to move (or even identify) files based on their media metadata. Anyone have any idea how I'd automate that?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:36 am

resarfekim wrote:
Wilky13 wrote:However, due to DRM, anything recorded on one of the HTPCs cannot be played on the other if it is a copy once channel. Xbox's as extenders get around this because they are logging on to the host HTPC.
Yes, and that brings me to another question, for which I should probably start another thread...

I would like to set up an scheduled job that moves all non-copy-once recordings to a separate TV folder. Then I will share that folder with the second WMC PC. I can see which are copy once in Windows Explorer, by adding the "protected" detail column...
But I haven't found a way to move (or even identify) files based on their media metadata. Anyone have any idea how I'd automate that?
A couple of the guys gave me some help a while back to move the Movies out of the Recorded TV folder. Might give you some ideas on how to move Recorded TV Shows...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 184#p39184

Might be easier to just move the Protected out of RecordedTV then share RecordedTV with the rest of the network. The sharing can be done within WMC in the Library Section.

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 06, 2016 2:52 am

You can also use DVRMSToolbox for this, although it might be a little overkill for just this (and there may be better options?).

I use it to mark commercials in my recorded files (by calling comskip).

It monitors the recorded folder for new files and when they are done recording, it checks if they are copy protected (among other things), and if not, it does the commercial detection. It could just as easily move the file to another folder instead.

http://babgvant.com/files/folders/dvrms ... fault.aspx