WMC Scheduled Recordings Screen

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
shawndavis4

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Scheduled Recordings Screen

Post by shawndavis4 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:17 pm

I have had WMC working with Windows 10 for about four months with no problems. About a week ago I started having a problem with the Scheduled Recordings screen. After clicking on Scheduled Recording, the screen comes up and the word loading appears as usual. Sometimes the scheduled recordings will appear other times they appear and quickly flicker back to Loading. This can happen rapidly a dozen times or so.

Also while scrolling through the scheduled recording, they will refresh and start back at the beginning. This also happens after clicking on a scheduled recording. This constant refreshing makes it very difficult to viewing two weeks worth of recordings.

I believe this could possibly be related to issuing a PowerShell command to fix Windows 10 apps that aren't working. I believe the command rebuilds the Windows 10 app packages. The command did not work.

Any ideas what to do? I have a system image that's about two months old. I could revert back to that if I have to but would rather not.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:03 am

What version are you using? If your version is not listed in the screencap, what is the number?

v2.1
v8
V10
v11
v12
Attachments
WMC_Versions.JPG

shawndavis4

Post by shawndavis4 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:04 am

I didn't use the same WMC project as you. I don't have those packages. Only thing I can tell about my install is from WMC 6.3.9600 with no further information. Again, WMC has worked flawlessly since late December 2015. It is now approaching two weeks since this problem has started happening.

One other problem that is also happening... When I open WMC sometimes it reports that there was a problem with the recording data and the guide has to be downloaded again. When this happens, WMC will seem to "forget" recordings that have already been made and schedule recordings of shows that have already been watched. And it also will forget recordings that I deleted from the list. So every time this error occurs, I have to go back through the scheduled recordings and delete 30 or 40 shows and movies. It's very annoying and very time consuming.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 am

The version you have has likely been re-named. Can you identify by size (kb's)?

I was just curious, probably doesn't matter what version you have. You are describing a classic problem called Corrupt Database. This results from a temporary EPG guide problem... combined with a Heavy Recording Schedule. The guide may have repaired itself by now, but the confusion in the database remains....

The only way I can think of to repair that is with %windir%\ehome\mcupdate -MediaCenterRecoveryTask The problem with this is that it resets everything.

Maybe someone else can suggest how to repair mcepg2-0.db ONLY..... I think all you have to do is delete mcepgX-X.db and let it rebuild.

Wait for a 2nd opinion on that.

shawndavis4

Post by shawndavis4 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Thank you Crash2009. I looked for the original downloaded file but can't find it. There there is no way to tell sure which version I have installed. Considering the error message that sometimes pops up when opening WMC, I also feel this is most likely a corrupt database. Resetting WMC will have to wait for a little while since I simply don't have time to do it. Maybe someone else has a better idea but for now this is the only solution that I think would work.

Also, I forgot to mention the WMC Store Update Manager seems to be running constantly taking up as much as 25% CPU. And I noticed that there are many mcepgx-x folders now. Each one seems to have been created after an error message was received.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:01 am

Here is the Setup Guide....if you need it.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 51#p106151

shawndavis4

Post by shawndavis4 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I decided to do a factory reset on WMC. After completing setup, everything appeared to work fine. But it wasn't long before the same problem returned but even worse. The scheduled recording refreshed so fast I could only read a line or two and the screen would blink and start back at the beginning again.

Further digging shows that the problem is mcupdate starting and stopping over and over. Each start and stop coincides with the Scheduled Recordings screen refreshing. Windows 10 shows mcupdate as the task called Windows Media Center Store Update Manager. Attempting to end the task has no effect. It seems that each time mcupdate starts, it has a new process id. So even if one were killed, the next one starts immediately after. Tried ending the process tree too. That doesn't seem to work either.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:21 pm

I am out of WMC idea's. Maybe the OS is chewed up.

Type winver into Cortana. What version are you using?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm

I give up trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Get a WMC Version that is supported, and can be identified.

v11 was the most reliable for me. v12 has all the bells and whistles.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602 View Readme.txt and Workaround.txt for troubleshooting.

shawndavis4

Post by shawndavis4 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:28 pm

Thank you Crash2009 for all your help. I downloaded both v11 and v12 for WMC. I found out I was currently using v11 which worked fine until a few weeks ago.

I uninstalled the package I had on my system. Installed v11 just fine but could not get the Ceton tuner drivers to work with WMC. I tried every method I could think of. After several hours, I restored to a previous restore point and the drivers worked fine. WMC was not changed since it was not recorded as an official install in the restore point database.

I decide to unintall v11 and install v12. The Ceton drivers continued to work and v12 installed without a hitch. Only trouble I had was WMC could not detect my tuners. Took me a few tries to figure out that the Receiver Service wasn't running. Get that started and changed the service login. It all works fine now.