When did Intel start putting graphics in Xeon chips?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

When did Intel start putting graphics in Xeon chips?

Post by kd6icz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:23 pm

I was sifting through CPU's yesterday looking for a new processor for my new Supermicro Mini ITX LGA1150 Socket Q87 Motherboard. I want something with the P4600 Intel graphics so I'm the event 4k actually becomes available through cable TV I will be good to go. I was surprised when I saw Xeon chips show up on the list.

So I'm considering the E3-1226V3. Anyone have a system running Xeon chips?

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:53 pm

I do, but purely because my motherboard doesn't have onboard video and refused to boot without a video card or Xeon with graphics. I'm running ESXi so the Xeon graphics is 99% useless. If the P4600 has enough power for 4k then it should work fine

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:21 am

RyC wrote:I do, but purely because my motherboard doesn't have onboard video and refused to boot without a video card or Xeon with graphics. I'm running ESXi so the Xeon graphics is 99% useless. If the P4600 has enough power for 4k then it should work fine
Well... That's what it says. Any input is welcome! From what I've read (which is very subjective), the graphics portion is very "I7" ish....

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:03 pm

I can't seem to get a straight answer which architecture is better / more modern and what the differences are. The P4600 appears to only be found in the Xeon processors. The 4600 in the i5/i7 processors. But then I saw another document stating some i7's had the P4600. So IDK...

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Well... That's what it says. Any input is welcome! From what I've read (which is very subjective), the graphics portion is very "I7" ish....
That's correct, because they are exactly the same chip. The P4600 just designates that it's on the Xeon chip. Like the Xeon CPUs themselves, the hardware is typically the same as the i7s with some features enabled/disabled. I'm not sure what features the P4600 enables, but I would be willing to be they have nothing to do with what you'll be using them for if you're just looking for 4k video.

Whatever documentation you saw that said the i7 had P4600 was probably mistaken, and uses the 4600.

If you want an idea of the performance, look at the I7-4770K, it's the same GPU.

BonsaiScott

Post by BonsaiScott » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:35 am

kd6icz wrote:Anyone have a system running Xeon chips?
I am - not for the iGPU but the 10p/20ht cores and 25MB L3. DX12 & Vulkan games will leverage the cores and the difference will be significant when paired with high-performance GPU subsystems. Too bad I can't get my dual Titans to play nicely with WMC full-screen. I joined here yesterday to see if anyone knows how to rectify, no responses to my thread yet.

I have a dedicated HT with all the electronics in a separate room so SPL of the HTPC is a non-issue.

Look up the iGPUs on Wikipedia. Most important criteria is HW support for the compression formats you need, second is DRAM bandwidth. Unless you game too, then DRAM BW is king. Everything else is down 3 dB or more.