Ceton and MPEG-4

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
itsame

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton and MPEG-4

Post by itsame » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 am

Comcast is saying that there cablecard must be used with a tuner that supports MPEG-4. Do Ceton tuners support MPEG-4?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm

itsame wrote:Comcast is saying that there cablecard must be used with a tuner that supports MPEG-4. Do Ceton tuners support MPEG-4?
Yes, and so does their extender.....according to.....

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r280761 ... ort-status

Recently though, I opened one of my Recorded TV files with MediaInfo which reported the file as being MPEG-2.

So in summary, it appears to me that the tuner is able to receive MPEG-4, all though the recorded tv file the tuner creates is MPEG-2. I don't have an explanation for that..... Maybe someone else does?

sub3

Post by sub3 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:54 pm

Crash2009 wrote:So in summary, it appears to me that the tuner is able to receive MPEG-4, all though the recorded tv file the tuner creates is MPEG-2. I don't have an explanation for that..... Maybe someone else does?
The "transport stream" container was defined as part of the MPEG-2 specification, but in reality it's a super flexible container format, that contain all sorts of audio/video codecs, including MPEG2, H.264 (aka MPEG4), AAC, MPEG1L2, AC3, E-AC3, HE-AAC, etc.

So....digital TV always broadcast in a transport stream (MPEG-2 container). In North America it's usually carrying MPEG-2 video, but it can contain H.264 video.

There is no reason the Ceton devices shouldn't support H.264, assuming the viewing software is designed to cope with it (like NextPVR). This is more of a software thing, than the hardware thing. (unless Ceton have done something dumb to block it)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:22 pm

sub3 wrote: So....digital TV always broadcast in a transport stream (MPEG-2 container). In North America it's usually carrying MPEG-2 video, but it can contain H.264 video.
There seems to be a few people concerned that their "stuff" is going to stop working, after the MPEG-4 roll out.

I believe this is the letter causing the concern:

The HD Enhanced Program is an initiative to exchange older model HD equipment in a customer's home with a newer model. We are swapping out several models of MPEG-2 set-top boxes across the Comcast footprint. These boxes are replaced with MPEG-4-capable boxes in order to provide XFINITY TV customers with an HD-enhanced experience.

We are beginning to migrate HD channels to a new format that enhances the viewing experience by providing customers with better picture quality.

The program is not occurring in all markets. Please tune to Channel 1995 to see if swap options are available for you. If you don't see the channel or see a blackscreen, please wait until you receive a letter with your information on this when this is happening in your area.

Ceton: Appears to be No Problem
http://cetoncorp.com/blog/how-to-use-in ... very-room/
SiliconDust: No Problem
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 44&t=20230
Tivo: Some models will need to be upgraded
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=529140

It appears to me that Comcast is finally catching up to the rest of the world.
Attachments
CetonSetup001.JPG

daidavel

Post by daidavel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Ceton and MPEG-4 isn't a problem, but be aware that if you are using older (i.e. Video 2000) on-board Intel graphics you will have a problem. I battled that for a long time and finally gave up and installed a video card.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... creen.html

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:16 pm

sub3 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:So in summary, it appears to me that the tuner is able to receive MPEG-4, all though the recorded tv file the tuner creates is MPEG-2. I don't have an explanation for that..... Maybe someone else does?
The "transport stream" container was defined as part of the MPEG-2 specification, but in reality it's a super flexible container format, that contain all sorts of audio/video codecs, including MPEG2, H.264 (aka MPEG4), AAC, MPEG1L2, AC3, E-AC3, HE-AAC, etc.

So....digital TV always broadcast in a transport stream (MPEG-2 container). In North America it's usually carrying MPEG-2 video, but it can contain H.264 video...
If it doesn't show up in MediaInfo, then how do we know if it's MPEG4? Besides files size, which is not a real method.

My channels were supposed to start going MPEG4 two weeks ago, but I don't see any signs of that happening yet. Unless they are starting with the SD channels which I don't ever watch/record.

sub3

Post by sub3 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:31 am

tzr916 wrote:If it doesn't show up in MediaInfo, then how do we know if it's MPEG4?
You'll be able to see it in MediaInfo. If your recording is a .ts file, it'll continue to say the container is an MPEG2-TS, but the video stream will be reported as AVC or H.264 instead of MPEG2.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:56 am

sub3 wrote:
tzr916 wrote:If it doesn't show up in MediaInfo, then how do we know if it's MPEG4?
You'll be able to see it in MediaInfo. If your recording is a .ts file, it'll continue to say the container is an MPEG2-TS, but the video stream will be reported as AVC or H.264 instead of MPEG2.
Since WMC records in WTV, is there any program that will read WTV?

sub3

Post by sub3 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:48 pm

tzr916 wrote:
sub3 wrote:
Since WMC records in WTV, is there any program that will read WTV?
Sorry, I don't know. I haven't used WMC in years.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Appears that Gspot works. It's still showing MPEG2 stream on any recordings I've got. Guess none of my HD channels has made the switch yet.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:06 pm

tzr916 wrote:Appears that Gspot works. It's still showing MPEG2 stream on any recordings I've got. Guess none of my HD channels has made the switch yet.
More testing reveals at least two channels have gone mpeg4- IDHD and ENCHD. Some interesting observations-

Gspot:
-WTV mpeg2 displays codec correctly
-WTV mpeg4 won't display codec at all
-TS mpeg2 won't display codec at all
-TS mpeg4 won't display codec at all

MediaInfo:
-WTV mpeg2 won't display codec at all
-WTV mpeg4 displays codec correctly
-TS mpeg2 displays codec correctly
-TS mpeg4 displays codec correctly

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:58 pm

The channels I think change to be numbered in the 1000s on Comcast. Channel 1995 just turned up in my area, but no other channels made switch afaik. If you don't have Comcast channel 1995 nothing will be in mpeg4.