Anyone have any degree of reliability with InfiniTV 6 ETH?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Initially I had a recurring issue where ETH would lose WDM pairing. Ceton traced it back to my motherboard NIC (Realtek). I bought an Intel NIC. The issue has been reduced to once maybe 3-4 months, from the original weekly occurrence.

I still bridged the 2 NIC's and connected both, figuring I would get some redundancy.

bahamabum

Post by bahamabum » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:05 pm

This eth6 has been the bane of my existence since it entered this home. I had a HDHomerun prime that got hit by lightning, I also have a Ceton PCie in my living room Mediacenter that has worked perfectly almost since it was purchased years ago, so I decided well heck 6 tuners beats 3. Wish I had not made that mistake now. Hind-site being 20/20.

I have 4 media centers that used the 3 tuner HDhomerun. So i installed the ceton eth6 on my gig switch and plugged the Cisco TA to it and plugged in the same cable card that was in my HDHomerun.

Nothing but problems, cant find tuners, subscription required, dislay adapter cannot display protected content, they all WORKED perfectly on the HDhomerun.

So the incident tickets started. I was sent a minimum requirements list that 2 of my media centers failed, so out went the dual cores that worked perfect before and in come the new quad cores to replace along with new ATI Video cards. Fresh installs, and blamo same errors.

Since i quit getting response to my tickets I found you have to open a new one, I had 3 open before they told me basically to go away and disabled my account for being persistent and wanting actual help with THEIR product that I paid good $$ for.

Well I sure wish I could get back into those tickets and cut and paste their crappy responses here, but they disabled me. So here I sit on a POS PITA crappy ETH6 brand new and large hole in my wallet and I have 4 media centers that will not reliably record anything, want to update playready all the time, say i have subscription errors, and just plain suck.

I had Brighthouse here they fine tuned the signals, made sure I was subscribed to the channels I was getting subscription errors from (all at times) and reblessed and paired the card.

I have spent many many hours of MY time gathering support their diagnostic info and submitting them over and over to no avail.

I see sooo many others having these issues. No help from the manufacturer that is useful or timely. So I am done spending my time helping them.

I would love to hear any suggestions from my peers in same situation and just wanted to quote a review on amazon I can relate to:

7 of 8 people found the following review helpful
1Nope.jpeg
ByDannyon September 30, 2014
Verified Purchase
"Worked" for roughly a year before it started having issues. I use "worked" loosely, as slow tuning and error messages plagued me. My setup are 5 Windows computers (Win7 & Win8.1) across a gigabit network.The big issue occurred early in June/July 2014.

Basically, it became extremely hit or miss when the tuner would express "Subscription Required" all the time. Live TV? Recorded TV? It was very random for a while with mostly misses. I filed a trouble ticket to Ceton explaining that nothing had changed in the network nor have I done anything to any of the computers that might express this behavior. This is when I realized how much of a headache I was about to go through. Ceton's ticketing system basically assigns you a case number and every 24 hours someone is supposed to get back with you. Well... apparently anyone; because they would not comprehend (or look at the previous ticket messages) that this was across my entire network, not just 1 PC. If you did not attach a log file, they would reply "please attach a log file" even if you asked a question that didn't even require it.

What did troubleshooting involve? Uninstalling services that didn't exist (plex-- I think I was told 3 times to uninstall this which I hadn't even heard of until they said something), uninstalling legit services that have been running on my computer for years with no previous tuning issues (virtualbox), turning off sleep mode (probably the only reasonable suggestion), and installing Windows hotfixes. Eventually it got to the point where their logs were insufficient so I sent over Wireshark captures for them to look over. Nothing changed their minds, they wouldn't believe their device was not properly functioning. I changed the CableCARD... I limited the scope of the network to just the Ceton and 1 PC... Firmware updates... I tried everything I could think of. Eventually the ticket ended up asking me to bring a new, fresh installed computer on the network because they claim that Windows Media Center was messed up on all 5 of my PC's. I did eventually end up doing this and you can guess the result (spoiler: it still didn't work). This exchange occurred over the course of 2 months before I had enough.

I gave up and got an HDHomerun Prime. Guess what? It worked. 5 minutes hardware/software install. 10 minutes to call Comcast to get the signal to work. Channels are tuning more quickly, and the interface (although a little more plain) tells me exactly the information that is most meaningful to me.

I think the thing that irks me the most about Ceton is the last message they sent on the ticket. I basically wanted to see if I could get a refund, but didn't really expect them to deliver as it had been 1.5 years since the purchase date. They said "All refunds are handled through the retailer you purchased the unit from. They provide a generous 30 day no questions asked return policy". I though to myself-- apparently they don't warranty their units? Because when I buy a $300 piece of hardware nothing screams at me more than a "generous 30 day warranty (through Amazon)

fleanote

Post by fleanote » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Have to agree with the thread above. You'll see a myriad of posts from me as I tried heavily to get the ETH6 working, but it was just too problematic (no tuner, playready errors, etc). I tried the original firmware, the beta's, Ceton support and the Microsoft hotfixes they sent - it was never stable long, so I switched to a SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime (only 3 tuners). After getting it activated, I didn't have a single issue with it other than its 3 tuner limitation (and been using it since April 2015). I am still using it now and if I wasn't so cheap, I'd order another cable card and buy a 2nd box just to get my six tuners back. I can proudly say the SD HD Home run prime is a winner and it took nothing more than unboxing and activating the cable card with my Provider. Sorry Ceton, you need to figure your box out and I'm rooting for you because my ETH6 is sitting in a closet waiting to be pulled back out.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:29 pm

I have a few NIC driver tweaks still in place from all my tinkering. One more tweak that I just found a few weeks ago does seem to help. This was discovered because I use ES File Explorer on my phone and other droid tabs and they would consistently fail to connect to my WMC machine after a few days, giving an SMB/login error. The only fix was to reboot my WMC machine. I found a cure for this issue and the side effect seems to be a more stable connection to the ETH6!

RegEdit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\size

Your choices for this registry key are 1, 2 and 3.
1 = Minimize Memory Used
2 = Balance
3 = Maximize Throughput for File Sharing and Maximize
Throughput for Network Applications

Mine was set = 2. I changed it to = 3 and my ES File Explorer problems are GONE. And I have not seen one occurrence of no tuner channel changes, recording errors, etc with the ETH6.

Starflare5

Post by Starflare5 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:22 am

If you are having random reboots with the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH, that is actually an issue caused by a failing power supply. Eventually it will act as if it has no power at all and seem dead.

Unfortunately, and, I have no idea why, but, Ceton put really horrible power supplies with these things that can last anywhere from only a few weeks, to maybe 2 years if you're lucky, then failures start to occur.

They use a 12V, 2A DC power supply. If you are having reboots, I'd suggest finding a replacement asap.

Starflare5

Post by Starflare5 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:01 pm

tzr916 wrote:I have a few NIC driver tweaks still in place from all my tinkering. One more tweak that I just found a few weeks ago does seem to help. This was discovered because I use ES File Explorer on my phone and other droid tabs and they would consistently fail to connect to my WMC machine after a few days, giving an SMB/login error. The only fix was to reboot my WMC machine. I found a cure for this issue and the side effect seems to be a more stable connection to the ETH6!

RegEdit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\size

Your choices for this registry key are 1, 2 and 3.
1 = Minimize Memory Used
2 = Balance
3 = Maximize Throughput for File Sharing and Maximize
Throughput for Network Applications

Mine was set = 2. I changed it to = 3 and my ES File Explorer problems are GONE. And I have not seen one occurrence of no tuner channel changes, recording errors, etc with the ETH6.
Hey trz916,

Great suggestion, however, some should know that this does not work well with all configurations, like, for example:

A system using an AM3 Athlon II 3.30 GHZ triple core with 4GB of DDR 3 and Nvidia Chipset will actually for some reason be slowed to a crawl.

However, on the weird flipside to that:

A system using an AM2 Athlon 2.20 GHZ dual core with 4GB of DDR 2 and Nvidia Chipset will actually work just fine.

If the system is slowed to a crawl by this configuration, you may have to force the system into safe mode in order to return it back to normal working order.

Just a tip.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 am

Guess I've been pretty lucky then. Not perfect but it's working pretty well. Not as good as my SD Prime but 80%.
Where is Ceton? They're almost non existent these days.

kiku

Post by kiku » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:29 pm

I dont know about all of the complaints (i'm sure they are valid), but I just installed an Amazon.com-bought ETH6 at my house with Verizon FIOS Cable Card, and its been working flawlessly in my virtual machine WMC Windows 7 system. I've had all 6 tuners chomping along recording shows, albeit they run a bit hot (see www.vvlsystems.com/tuners) they aren't failing on me.

I've ordered some additional small-unit fans to mount on the ETH6 cases to ensure they stay a bit cooler.

beggehorn

Post by beggehorn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:47 pm

I had a bit of a performance breakthrough this past week after finding recently released Realtek NIC driver updates. After installing these, I actually went through a weekend in which at one time four shows were being recorded simultaneously while we were also watching a recorded show. This new driver certainly has made the system more robust. I did have one system freeze last night though. Following another users recommendation, I went into the NIC adapter properties and turned off "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and
"Green Ethernet" (left Jumbo Frames alone for now...) We'll see how it goes...

ewitte

Post by ewitte » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:25 pm

It is sometimes a PITA they don't keep up with their cablecard system much. When I switched to the 6ETH I couldn't provision it. They ended up being down (for weeks) and nobody at Comcast knew!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:54 pm

beggehorn wrote:Bought a Infinitv6ETH a year or two ago and have had nothing but problems...

Running on Windows 8.1 x64 (fully updated)

I've been through the mill with Ceton support:

- Uninstalled Plex/MCEBuddy per their recommendations that these have been known to cause issues
- Updated all mobo drivers directly from component manufacturer websites
- Performed several extended RAM tests, tried using only 1 stick of 4GB at a time
- Performed multiple system stress tests using various ASUS and 3p tools
- Swapped out all hard drives
- Swapped power supply
- RMA'd motherboard
- Performed 3 clean OS installs

My system will completely lock up at least once a week and require me to hold the power button to restart. This only happens during recording or watching live TV and if the Ceton is removed from the system, it never happens.

I also suffer from no tuner available messages that require frequent rediscovery of the tuners.

The availability of a single CC 6 Tuner HDHomeRun Prime will likely provide my only relief to these problems.
Network Tuner with no mention of Network Troubleshooting.....makes me wonder if that part was left out intentionally. NIC? Switch? Router?

Yeah, I know this post is 4 months old...I am stalking David, He writes a lot of good stuff!

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Generally rock solid for my ETH6

MCE sometimes loose its connection to the tuners after long uptime - seem related to when Windows update says updates are ready to be installed. I turned AU on and haven't see the issue since.

I have my Ceton and router all on UPS with switch between then, router reboots seemed to freak the Ceton and MCE box out. I also statically assigned the Ceton and MCE their ipaddr