WMC history/missed recordings

nn_mm

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC history/missed recordings

Post by nn_mm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm using windows media center on Windows 7, with all updates applied (that I am aware of).

I read with surprise in this post

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=9623

that there is a History (page, pane, ??)l. I assume this would include items like 'Did not record, No Signal' messages?

I just went thru all of my WMC interface looking for anything vaguely like History, and can't find it.
Can anyone post a menu trail that will help me find it, i.e. MainMenu->TV->Recorded TV->History or similar?

Also I noticed in this same thread
WMC builds the "History" panel by scanning the event log for WMC events. This is why it gradually takes longer and longer for the "History" panel to appear, as the event log file gets bigger and bigger.
(thanks, CyberSimian !)

Does anyone know the "key" to search for in Windows event logs? I would actually prefer to build a .bat file that searches the event logs for most recent 'No Signal' (or similar) messages.

Thanks for any ideas,

Neil
Chicago, Ill

squidboy

Post by squidboy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:34 pm

That was my thread and I rebooted the computer and was fine after that.

The history can be found in recorded tv>view scheduled

nn_mm

Post by nn_mm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:43 pm

squidboy : Doah! How have I missed 'History' on the scheduled pages all these years!

Thanks for that info.

nn_mm

Post by nn_mm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:00 pm

I did some googling of my own and came up with this very handy 1-liner

(Start Powershell, Start->(type in the searchbox) "Powershell". Click on "Powershell")

Now copy/paste to cmd line

Code: Select all

get-winevent -maxEvents 10 -LogName 'Media Center' | format-table TimeCreated, ProviderName, Message -auto
change 10 to what ever number you need.

There is also an -oldest option, that in the example above, would give you the 10 oldest entries for 'Media Center'.

Thanks for such a nice forum!