DMA2100 initial setup with universal remote

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
crawl

HTPC Specs: Show details

DMA2100 initial setup with universal remote

Post by crawl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:54 am

Hi everyone,

We've been using Xbox 360's for two extenders, but one has died and I wanted to try something quieter for the bedroom. I bought a Linksys DMA2100 off ebay that did not come with a remote. I figured this was fine since we have the older model 360 universal media remote, plus a SMK X-Link universal remote bought from amazon. When I plug in the 2100, it boots to the first setup screen, but I can't get either remote to pick the next option to go through the setup process. Does the linksys part of the setup only work with the remote that shipped with the box? I've read many times that the universal remotes work great, but is that only once the media center software loads? Finding just a remote on ebay will be impossible, so I thought I'd post here with hopes someone has a solution or I'm missing something dumb!

Thanks,
Paul

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:32 am

I use a Logitech 300i remote with the DMA2100. It works in the Linksys menus as well as the WMC menus.

crawl

Post by crawl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 pm

The seller said he tested it with a Harmony 880. I would think the Xbox universal remote would work, but I've pressed every button without a response. I keep pressing the silver xbox and tv buttons thinking it isn't in the right mode without success. I really hope I don't have to buy a harmony remote just to get it to work. My wife is perfectly happy with the xbox one....

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Many (most) universal remotes can be set up for Media Center. You should be able to get one for $10 locally, if you don't already have one in a drawer somewhere. That will help you figure out if you have a Linksys problem or a remote problem

crawl

Post by crawl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not so sure it's a remote problem. I think it's just freezing as soon as it boots up. I've tried resetting it and booting up with or without wired ethernet, with the antenna's removed, even with my wifi turned off, and it stops at the first screen regardless. I've read about the freezing due to update issues, etc, but it won't respond so I can't do anything further with it at this point.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 pm

The Xbox remote does not work with the DMA's. Just about any other Media Center (rc6) remote will work just fine.

crawl

Post by crawl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Ok, I'm really confused now! I have these three, should any of them work:

Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6 ... UTF8&psc=1

SMK-Link X-Link Universal TV Remote Control (VP3701) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SV ... UTF8&psc=1

SANOXY® Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224 ... UTF8&psc=1

I've been using the first two with our 360's, and the last with the Windows box...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:18 pm

If you connect it to a wired connection, can you ping it, or check your router's DHCP table to see if it got an address?

I doesn't sound like the problem where the unit would freeze when it failed to connect to the update servers - there was plenty of time to get into the settings to change things in that case. If yours is booting up as far as displaying the setup menu, and then just sitting there, it sounds more like it's not seeing the IR signal from your remote.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:30 pm

crawl wrote:Ok, I'm really confused now! I have these three, should any of them work:

Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6 ... UTF8&psc=1

SMK-Link X-Link Universal TV Remote Control (VP3701) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SV ... UTF8&psc=1

SANOXY® Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224 ... UTF8&psc=1

I've been using the first two with our 360's, and the last with the Windows box...
None of the remotes you listed are Media Center remotes. That last one is labeled as such, but it isn't the same thing.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Yep. Microsoft and RC6 are the key words a compatible remotes will mention. The Xbox remote is RC6 (MCE), but a different device number than MCE on a PC would typically have, so it may not work on all MCE devices. The SMK is apparently the same as the Xbox remote. The Sanoxy isn't RC6 at all, so it's not even in the ballpark. Just get an actual RC6 MCE remote or a cheap universal and you'll be in business. You may even have an old radio shack or cable tv remote lying around that will work.

Some MCE devices treat the device number byte in the RC6 signal as a don't care, so an Xbox remote would work in that case, like with a Ceton Echo, for example. Other devices are looking for a specific device number, which is typically different than the Xbox device number. Your DMA2100 is the latter case.

As for some other cheap compatible remotes you can buy off the shelf, try a Harmony 200 or RCA RCRP05BR, but really most any universal should work. Those 2 are my top picks because they will do every possible MCE function. Others may only do the basics and possibly not the green button.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:16 pm

I have the remote pictured below. It doesn't control the TV power or volume, but I just tested it with my DMA-2100 and my DMA-2200. It works fine in Media Center on both extenders, and also for DVD playback on the DMA-2200. The only thing missing is the "L" button, which is only found on the original Linksys remote, that takes you to the Linksys menu (which is what you see when the Linksys extender is turned on). Everything else works.

The model number printed on the back of the remote is HA-IR01SV(TSHA-IR01). It came with my IR receiver dongle, and I have no use for it since I use an AR-RX18G programmable remote. It's been sitting on a shelf since I built my HTPC in March 2011.

If you're located in the USA, I'll sell it to you for $5.00 plus $5.80 for a Priority Mail Small Flat Rate box (shipping will cost more if you are not in the USA). I will add plenty of padding to protect it (I have boxes full of peanuts and bubble wrap laying around). So, your total cost is $10.80 (if your shipping address is in the USA).

Just PM me with your PayPal address, and I'll send you an invoice.

Here's the picture:
remote.jpg

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 pm

XBOX remote is NOT a Media Center Remote (i.e. NOT green button remote). XBOX will work with both Media Center and XBOX remotes (you can set this up in the dashboard). i.e. you can control xbox with linksys remote, but not the other way around.

Set up your universal remote to either Linksys, HP, D-link extender or Media Center PC, and it will control the Linksys.

gianz

Post by gianz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi! news about this topic? I have lost my remote control for linksys dma2100 , so i am looking for a universal remote control to replace it. Which one is the best?
thank you!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:18 pm

$3 Comcast from eBay is the cheapest. $5000 Crestron is the best.

Most any MCE or universal will work except Ortek or those really cheap Chinese MCE remotes.

gianz

Post by gianz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:45 pm

mdavej wrote:$3 Comcast from eBay is the cheapest. $5000 Crestron is the best.

Most any MCE or universal will work except Ortek or those really cheap Chinese MCE remotes.
:thumbup: thank you! :D