I am not getting any channel map. nothing is working!!!

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Randyored

HTPC Specs: Show details

I am not getting any channel map. nothing is working!!!

Post by Randyored » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:53 pm

Moved from a Spectrum area (43065) to an Xfinity (43950). Was great on Spectrum. But on Xfinity I am not getting a channel map.

How do it get this fixed? HELP!

Randyored!!!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:03 pm

Not sure what you mean by a channel map. Don't know what you have done with the new provider, if your hardware is setup correctly, if you can tune channels or not, ... need more details.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:46 pm

Since you changed cable providers you must have the new provider issue you a new cable card then you must install it and have the cable co validate it and pair it with your tuner. Have you done that?

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:53 pm

Hello Gary,

Yes. I had a tech with me and a team of Comcast tech working with this.

I have a Windows 7 Media Center with a Ceton IfniTV6. The setup allows the tuner to find a frequency of a channel. The channel map allows you to know if some channels are missing. In this case it is showing all channel are missing. Never had this problem where the channel was empty. I am confused that you have no idea what the channel map is. ????

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:01 am

It is not about knowing what a channel map is, but what you are referring to. Channel mapping for your cablecard/tuner is completely different from channel mapping of guide listings. If at the hardware level you are not seeing any channels, that has nothing to do with epg123.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:19 am

Typically with Comcast/Xfinity in addition to validation and pairing of the cable card to the tuner the card must be loaded with your subscribed lineup - this requires a "hit" by the cable company (Tell them they need to set it up the same way they would do for a TIVO)

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:51 am

The only "channel map" I am aware of has to do with CableCard devices and has nothing to do with EPG123, and so makes sense that Gary would not know about them, since I don't think he uses any CableCard devices.

As stuartm mentioned, you need to rent a new CableCard from your new provider, you cannot use the old CableCard from the old provider (any more than you could have used your old provider-supplied cable box with the new provider). The CableCard has the ability to decrypt the signal from that specific cable provider and will only work with the cable provider that rented you the card.

I would normally say that if you had a tech with you that you probably already know this, but I also know that most techs know very little about CableCard, so it would not surprise me if they tried to get it working while using the Cablecard from the old provider without supplying you with the correct CableCard from Xfinity.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:36 am

Randyored wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:53 pm Moved from a Spectrum area (43065) to an Xfinity (43950). Was great on Spectrum. But on Xfinity I am not getting a channel map.

How do it get this fixed? HELP!

Randyored!!!
Spectrum and "channel map" to me implies a "tuning adapter", and support for SDV channels. Some cable services (like Spectrum here in SoCal for me) work that way. Other services (like Frontier/FIOS up north of LA) don't use SDV or TA. Does XFinity use a TA and have SDV channels?

Also, is your InfiniTV6 the PCIe internal card, or the ETH box? I had trouble myself (with Spectrum) where in fact I could NOT use the ETH tuner I'd bought because it was always "waiting for channel map", for some reason. Never obtained the channel map. No problem with the PCIe card instead, where initialization worked perfectly and the channel map was obtained. This sounds like the opposite of what you're experiencing.

The cablecard and TA are issued by the cable company. The cablecard needs to be paired with the Ceton, by the cable company head-end tech support (using DATA and HOSTID values you give them, as delivered by WMC and/or Ceton diagnostics). Have you done all that?

I would re-run the Ceton software installer (ceton_infinitv_setup_w7_sp1_13_06_03_1088.exe). The channel map is obtained at Ceton startup initialization, which is the result of rebooting the machine.

NOTE: even when the complete channel map is obtained correctly at initialization, the actual cable channel numbers and corresponding tuning frequencies may be a combination of "legacy / linear" and "SDV", as it is in my Spectrum area in LA. In other words what I call a "legacy" channel is a fixed channel number that corresponds to a fixed frequency. It can be tuned by the Ceton tuner no matter whether or not you actually have a TA connected (by USB) and no matter whether or not you actually obtained the "channel map" successfully at boot time. This contrasts with "SDV" channels which are all assigned to a single common tuning frequency, which through the use of the TA dynamically communicates to the head end what actual channel/frequency is needed in order to deliver (via the one fixed tuning frequency that is used to carry ALL channels delivered individually via this SDV method whenever such a channel is tuned to by WMC) what you think of as your visible external WMC channel. That's where the real function of the TA comes into play.

Finally, the LOG (provided through your browser and 192.168.200.1 -> LOG tab) is the definitive source of diagnostic clues as to what might be going on. Much of the log is technical, but much of it is quite intuitive and understandable. Certainly the "error" indications as well as patterns of entries and messages are very informative. It might be helpful if you reboot your machine (in order to start a brand new LOG), wait for things to stabilize (usually 3-10 minutes after booting), and then SELECT ALL -> COPY the entire log and PASTE it here in this thread (between the "code" start/end delimiters inserted by pushing the code button at the top of the composition area for your post here).