Half the posters are missing

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
iawa2k

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by iawa2k » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:09 pm

Yeah I did wonder (as it was a renewal after being away from it for a long time) if a fresh sub might work. Luckily I only did the 2 month renewal to test things with so I can always let that expire and go for a fresh year account.

The old server I was running was decommissioned ages ago and this box is a fresh install with only EPG123 on it (fresh setup) so that shouldn’t be the issue.

MKANET

Post by MKANET » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:46 pm

I wonder if there's a way to remotely invalidate/expire all tokens associated with a SchedulesDirect account. It seems like it would be very useful in cases like this.... assuming this is the root cause for issues like this.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:13 pm

There can only be one active token at a time. When a new token is requested, the previous token is invalidated.

Make sure the epg123 service (epg123Server.exe) is running and the option to 'Automatically refresh token if needed' is enabled. When the service requests an image and the response is that the token is invalid, it will automatically request a new one.

BUT... that is not your problem @iawa2k. Your problem is that you have requested more than 5000 images in the last 24 hours. If you have another utility downloading images from SD, or you are using something like xTeVe with image cache enabled, they can quickly meet and exceed your limit causing this error. It is also possible, of course, that you have scrolled through your guide enough that you hit the 5000 limit.

If you view the status page for the service at http://{hostname}:9009/ you will see your status.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:17 pm

I just looked at your ticket with SD. If you have 16986 Too Many Requests, that is definitely a sign that something is seriously pinging the SD servers for images. Do you have a program consuming the XMLTV file that would be doing this?

EDIT: IIRC, I think I saw on some forum that the 7-day trial account limits were 500 images/24 hours, I would hope that the 2-month trial does not have that limitation.
- Gary

iawa2k

Post by iawa2k » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:47 pm

I am using Xteve but set the EPG123 app to cache images (under the service tab), I thoughts that would actually reduce load on the server if the clients didn’t need to go out to SD as often, I am also caching on Xteve which again I thought would cut down on downloads.

I have multiple TVs in the house that the guide / what’s on pages would be loaded on so could be quite a bit but I will try turning off caching and see if that helps as it may be enough that it doesn’t need to grab all images for all the downloaded episodes etc.

Would you recommend leaving the caching off on EPG123 service too or leave it on there? I assume that only caches what has been requested rather than everything like Xteve but would cut down on server requests to SD if I say open the guide on mobile and then TV and maybe wife does on her TV and save an amount of downloading at least?

iawa2k

Post by iawa2k » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:59 pm

I'm a bit lost anyway with SD as I was assuming a 'Connection' would be one "sync" and their FAQ https://www.schedulesdirect.org/faq stated "A valid account hitting the server more than 200 times in a 2 hour period will block for 24 hours" - does a "connection" actually mean one lineup download (I have 4) + 196 images download per day? It seems to indicate that "200 should be many downloads" - as they serve images I thought they might include this but not sure if you have any insight into that?

I can obviously ask that on the SD forum but wasn't sure if you knew the clarification or how EPG123 might work with those "connections", whatever they are! :)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:07 pm

I would recommend cache enabled on epg123 and disabled on xTeVe. The epg123 cache will be populated on demand. Cache on xTeVe will attempt to download every single image link in the xmltv file... and with the xmltv file that epg123 produces, each program will have 4 images at the various aspect ratios.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary

MKANET

Post by MKANET » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:36 pm

Just a note, this all works for me with Xteve image caching enabled or disabled. I just leave it on. But maybe for troubleshooting purposes xteve image caching can be disabled.

iawa2k

Post by iawa2k » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:40 pm

MKANET wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:36 pm Just a note, this all works for me with Xteve image caching enabled or disabled. I just leave it on. But maybe for troubleshooting purposes xteve image caching can be disabled.
Interesting, how many channels & days do you sync? I have 200 channels and 14 days, I wonder if that’s just too many but it does seem to be some thousands.

iawa2k

Post by iawa2k » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:41 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:07 pm I would recommend cache enabled on epg123 and disabled on xTeVe. The epg123 cache will be populated on demand. Cache on xTeVe will attempt to download every single image link in the xmltv file... and with the xmltv file that epg123 produces, each program will have 4 images at the various aspect ratios.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Thank you, noted. I’ll turn it off for Xteve, leaving it enabled on EPG123 and give it the 24 hours then see if it tips the limit over just using it “normally” on media consumption devices.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:53 am

To estimate how many images xTeVe is trying to download, take a look at the log file and see how many series plus seasons there are then multiply that by 4. This doesn't include movies and sports events. So it is easily possible to exceed 5000 in 24 hours, but over time the xTeVe cache would eventually get built up enough that it will work having both caches enabled though epg123 cache only would be best. No need to download and cache images that you will never see.
- Gary

iawa2k

Post by iawa2k » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:17 am

garyan2 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:53 am To estimate how many images xTeVe is trying to download, take a look at the log file and see how many series plus seasons there are then multiply that by 4. This doesn't include movies and sports events. So it is easily possible to exceed 5000 in 24 hours, but over time the xTeVe cache would eventually get built up enough that it will work having both caches enabled though epg123 cache only would be best. No need to download and cache images that you will never see.
Thank you both for all your help! Couple of days in and seems good just disabling Xsteve caching, it’s a little slow on image refresh in apps but not bad enough that I want to risk breaking everything again!

Cheers!

Iain