Channels came back?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channels came back?

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:31 pm

I had to do a rescan the other day and decided I'd get rid of all the unwanted channels that were filling my guide.

I opened the EPG123 Client and then opened WMC - Settings - TV - Guide - Edit Channels.

I placed them side-by-side and then unchecked and unsubscribed the channel in EPG123 and then unchecked it in WMC. I did this for every channel I wanted "gone" and after saving everything my guide looked great!

The next day they were all back.

What simple thing did I miss?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 pm

Did you click [Save] or [Save & Execute] in the configuration GUI?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Thank you for pointing out the "simple" thing I missed.

I only used the client and never opened the configuration GUI. I mistakenly thought that the changes I made in the client were magically saved upon exit!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:54 pm

It's a simple thing to miss. I can put in a prompt on exit if there were changes made and ask if you want to save or not. Would probably avoid this and most of the code already exists.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:14 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:54 pm It's a simple thing to miss. I can put in a prompt on exit if there were changes made and ask if you want to save or not. Would probably avoid this and most of the code already exists.
If it's no trouble, that would be awesome!

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:13 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm Thank you for pointing out the "simple" thing I missed.

I only used the client and never opened the configuration GUI. I mistakenly thought that the changes I made in the client were magically saved upon exit!
I think the changes made in the client ARE saved automatically. Or did you mean the configuration GUI?
It is a little confusing that you have to "save" in one and not the other.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 am

Sorry, yes. The client doesn't handle any configuration changes. The only thing it knows is what is in the database, not how it gets in the database.

I went ahead and added the prompt for the configuration GUI, though.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:16 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 amI went ahead and added the prompt for the configuration GUI, though.
I should probably clarify what programs I used since adding a prompt into the configuration GUI wouldn't have done anything in my situation.

I may be incorrect but I refer to the two EPG123 programs as follows:

EPG123.exe = The configuration GUI
EPG123Client.exe = The client

In my original post I only opened WMC and EPG123Client.exe and made all my changes in those two programs. I never opened EPG123.exe. Therefore a prompt in there wouldn't have helped. A prompt in the client to "save" (or even a dialog to say -> Go to EPG123.exe to save changes) would have.

Space mentioned that the changes made in "the client" are automatically saved upon exit, which is what I thought. There's no "save" option and no dialog upon exit that would make the user aware that some changes are lost upon exit. So many of today's apps save changes to settings in real time that in the absence of a "save" button (or option) it's easy to believe changes are saved immediately.

Maybe a dialog when a user adds or removes a checkmark in EPG123Client.exe informs the user that changes to that field are NOT saved, but changes can be made in EPG123.exe and saved? One of the downsides is that so many changes CAN be made in the client, it supports the belief that ALL changes are saved.

Just a thought. As usual, this suggestion "might" be worth two cents (or less). :crazy:

SIDE NOTE -> All changes appear to be persistent after making, and saving, the changes in EPG123.exe!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:33 pm

I think your confusion here is what changes the client is making. When you change the checkbox in the client what you are doing is enabling/disabling the channel in the WMC guide. It has nothing to do with the guide listings or configuration of EPG123. So by making your changes in both WMC and the client, you were basically doing the same thing twice... to enable/disable the channel. Neither program will show the changes live (i.e. disabling the channel in the client while viewing the WMC edit channels screen will not be reflected in WMC until you leave that screen and go back into it to "refresh" it; same with the client).

The client does not interact at all with the configuration file for EPG123. It just interacts with the WMC database.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:45 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:33 pmI think your confusion here is...
Once again, YOU NAILED IT!

I have to say... this made me chuckle at myself!

Thanks Gary! Have a great weekend!