general question to the users of this sub-forum

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
billmich

HTPC Specs: Show details

general question to the users of this sub-forum

Post by billmich » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:44 pm

as consumers of the EPG123 program, does that mean most/all over you guys have cable card devices/subscribe to cable tv...etc?
in winding my way to reconstructing my system after gong from win 7 to win 10, I have newly learned about the additional difficulties in making things work between WMC and cable card devices.

Luckily, my immediate need of my system is at its lowest point of the year because I exclusively use it for recording/editing and burning blue ray of NON-DRM material (SPORTS). My cable card device is HDHOMERUN Prime. The electronics companies made DVD recorded, but not blue ray. So I built an HTPC in 2014 (via microcenter) to do just that, and basically only that

That being said, it looks like i have to weigh a few items such as
1) how good and stable will freezing my WIN 10 at a particular build and never updating (i found the post about making that happen)
2) moving away from WMC to other options - I know this is a WMC site, so i understand if that isn't the most popular there
3) long term sustainability of going back to Win 7 (the way I had it for 8 years) and hope that my computer freezing issues I had the previous 2 weeks don't pop back up.

any other options I should think about?
any opinions of the options I laid out here?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:38 pm

There are quite a lot of users of this forum who do not live in the US and therefore do not use cable or DRM.

I for one use Satellite and Terrestrial tuners and only watch/record FTA transmissions.

WRT moving away from WMC, have you read the discussion about available alternatives on the My Digital Life Forums (https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... ves.61061/)?

There is also a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of running Windows 7 or Windows 10 with cable cards there as well.

billmich

Post by billmich » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:12 pm

thank you for the link, I have used Win 7 with cable card with zero issues over last 8 years, but always wanting to know more
thanks again

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:50 pm

billmich wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:44 pmin winding my way to reconstructing my system after gong from win 7 to win 10, I have newly learned about the additional difficulties in making things work between WMC and cable card devices.
I don't use a cablecard but I do have Win7, Win10 (and a few others dating back to Win2000). So my feedback is based on those decades of experiences and the fact that my older systems still have current usefulness even though they haven't been updated in decades.

billmich wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:44 pm That being said, it looks like i have to weigh a few items such as
1) how good and stable will freezing my WIN 10 at a particular build and never updating (i found the post about making that happen)
2) moving away from WMC to other options - I know this is a WMC site, so i understand if that isn't the most popular there
3) long term sustainability of going back to Win 7 (the way I had it for 8 years) and hope that my computer freezing issues I had the previous 2 weeks don't pop back up.
1) My Win10 (production) system doesn't have WMC but it's been locked down for a few (or more) years. Production software and antivirus updates occur without fail. I haven't noticed any functionality issues at all.

2) I have a "wife approved" system in place when WMC inevitably becomes obsolete. If a tested solution didn't meet the WAF, it got tossed. When WMC goes kaput she's familiar enough, and happy, with the replacement so that switching over will be trivial.

3) I'm going to run my OTA Win7 WMC machine until it's impossible to run anymore. That may be years or even decades. Who knows?

That being said... It's been my experience that if installing a new OS (in your case Win10) on a machine that exhibits quirky behavior and it "fixes it", then it's not a hardware issue. In that case completely wiping and installing the old OS (Win7) will get rid of any quirkiness. Sometimes a factory reset works wonders!

That's just my $0.02 ;)

billmich

Post by billmich » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:25 pm

Stinky, I am starting to think your last observation is correct and the way to go

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:43 pm

Reinstalling might help. But I would also look for a physical cause as well. Locking up can be a symptom of overheating, I would also check for a fan that may be failing or a build up of dust on components/heat sinks. Make sure your system has good air flow (nothing blocking vents etc.

billmich

Post by billmich » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:35 pm

everything is cleaned out, well ventilated and the fact that there has no freezing since the win 10 install leads me to eliminate that as an issue, but anything is possible.

the only time anything locks up is when i am trying to re-0install Hauppauge colossus program, so far, thats my target and i plan on contacting them as to the issue

billmich

Post by billmich » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:55 pm

what about Channels DVR?
looks like there is an app perfectly paired with silicon dust....

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:09 pm

Running cable card here and WMC for 11 years. Using Ceton tuner. I will never switch from Windows 7. Ceton tuner has network tuning/sharing ability for Windows 7 only. That locks me in to Windows 7 forever. Well as long EPG123 can update my guide.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk