WMC 8.9.1 Installation MSI Released

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
tecky7

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tecky7 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:31 am

Please find the enclosed image of tv setup
TV.jpg
TV Setup
On the old setup installation

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:15 am

That is not the download data stage of TV Setup. That is tuner scanning. The difference between 8.8.5 and 8.9.1 at this stage is only for satellites. Whereas 8.8.5 used the 20+ year old satellite transponder data and channels, 8.9.0 uses an updated list of satellites and transponders without any channel data. This forces all transponders to be scanned which takes time. Everything else is the same.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

John UTAZ

Post by John UTAZ » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:56 pm

In 2023, I've upgraded two very old PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then used 8.9.1 and EPG123. One setup uses internal Hauppauge tuners and the other setup uses SiliconDust tuners. Both setups are working great and I'm so glad to be able to keep using WMC for OTA recording and playback. Thank you to Gary and any others that make this possible. 👍

Elimario138

Post by Elimario138 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:17 pm

So, it wants me to download Windows 10 DVD player first, but I know you have to pay for that, but there is no payment option. Is it still ok?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:03 am

Sorry, I forgot about this post.

If you recall... the DVD Player was a free download if you upgraded from Win7 or Win8 and was provided through Windows Update. If you did a clean install of Win10, or you did a reset of Win10 (even if you initially qualified for the free download through Windows Update), you could no longer download it again and would have to pay the $15. That was 8 years ago and the original DVD Player (1.0) was not tied to a user's Microsoft account because it was "free" and a KB. The current version (2.0) is tied to a user's account so even if you install it, you would need that "proof of purchase" to run it.

That being said, the original DVD Player that may/may not have been free depending on how you got Win10, is out there. At one point, I did find a Microsoft webpage that allowed anyone to download and install it, but I can't recall how I got to it. When I created this package, I was debating whether to download directly from Microsoft or host it myself. I decided to host it myself since over the years Microsoft has taken down a lot of useful pages that they feel are no longer needed. One site that archived Windows updates (http://www.ms-vnext.net/UpdateArchive/) contains this KB, because that is what it was... just a KB. Of course, there are all the variants of WMC for Win10 installers that included it as well, not just this one.

So the DVD player the package will download is the original msi from MS, just hosted on my website to ensure it remains available.
- Gary

Stubbertville

Post by Stubbertville » Wed May 10, 2023 2:43 am

Does this work on windows 7?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 am

Why would you need it to work with Win7?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 am

any advantage to using this over the Win 8.1 Media Pack on a Windows 8.1 install?

Also, it doesn't seem to recognise my HDHomerun Prime tuners on win11. Am i missing something?

since those are the only tuners i have, im getting the cant find any tuners message.
Last edited by The Mac on Thu May 11, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu May 11, 2023 1:50 am

lila.godel

Post by lila.godel » Sat May 13, 2023 4:30 am

The Mac wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 am any advantage to using this over the Win 8.1 Media Pack on a Windows 8.1 install?

Also, it doesn't seem to recognise my HDHomerun Prime tuners on win11. Am i missing something?

since those are the only tuners i have, im getting the cant find any tuners message.
Cable Card Tuners do not work on Windows 11 or Windows 10 builds later than 1511.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sat May 20, 2023 10:02 pm

lila.godel wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:30 am
The Mac wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 am any advantage to using this over the Win 8.1 Media Pack on a Windows 8.1 install?

Cable Card Tuners do not work on Windows 11 or Windows 10 builds later than 1511.
Aww, I wanted play around with a spare NVME drive I found and try and make a working Cablecard Windows 11 HTPC.

When you say later than, do you mean after that version or must use prior than 1511? Me thinky Windows 8.1 MCE might provide more security updates with Cablecard need.

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sun May 21, 2023 12:16 am

Weird question. If I do an in place UPGRADE from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 8.1 or 10 (1511) Professional, then then install WMC 8.9.1 from here, would that RETAIN all my DRM keys for the recorded TV programs?

Couple hours later now, Windows 8.1 Professional upgrade installed, along with all the updates, and I can't get any of my WTV files to playback. The unencrypted ones playback just audio in WMP, witn the encrypted ones not playing anything at all. After WMC was added, all I get is "The video decoder is not working". So it seems that you cannot upgrade and keep DRM keys on the same machine, even if upgrading legit through supported hardware and versions? :(

Paul

Stubbertville

Post by Stubbertville » Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 am Why would you need it to work with Win7?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
oh i was just thinking all the updates would be cool to have on windows 7 media center

JavaGeek

Post by JavaGeek » Sun May 28, 2023 2:47 pm

What's the trick to get PlayReady installed and working to allow for watching/recording encrypted content via cable card? I have two tuners a Ceton InfiniTV (cable card) and an Hauppauge WinTV-Quad for OTA. I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 (I know later versions break DRM) and have disabled the Windows Update service. I'd really like to be able to get my Ceton cablecard working again, but I always seem to have trouble getting PlayReady installed. I have found the PlayReady 1.3.10 installer and have tried manually installing that but WMC insists on "Updating" that and just fails (I think it actually went through once, but then I was getting "Copy Protected" errors when trying to view Live TV. Anybody have any luck getting encrypted cable cards working? And if so, any pointers? Thanks!!

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sun May 28, 2023 3:38 pm

Before setup, did you install "Digital Cable Advisor' & then run same from WMC menu > Extras? This configures WMC to use CC-related "plumbing" during setup. Won't work w/out this step.

JavaGeek

Post by JavaGeek » Sun May 28, 2023 5:36 pm

I did not (I was not aware of that step...oops). I did manually install Play Ready and also installed the Digital Cable Advisor software before installing WMC but I did not go through the Extras menu option and run that. I have done that now, and it tells me that I am already setup for digital cable. Now, however, I get "Service unavailable" on every cable channel. The Ceton diagnostics tool does tell me the card is authenticated and can tune encrypted channels. If I didn't do the digital cable advisor before setup of the tuner card, do I need to uninstall/re-install everything and try again? Or do I just need to run through the digital TV setup part of WMC again?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sun May 28, 2023 5:40 pm

I would try just running through the digital TV setup part of WMC again. YMMV

JavaGeek

Post by JavaGeek » Sun May 28, 2023 5:44 pm

I'll give that a shot. If that fails, I might start over from scratch. Is there a guide somewhere on the proper sequence of installation steps? I'll post back later with my results. Fingers crossed...not quite ready to cut that cord yet...

sunnyevw

Post by sunnyevw » Sun May 28, 2023 9:58 pm

Since the PlayReady problem might be working (for now), I noticed that the videos are going into the C:\users\public\recorded tv folder, even though the Media Library is set to M:\recorded tv. The previous 8.9.0 installation has been saving videos to the M: location for the last few years. Is there some way for me to restore my M: location to the save action?

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 28, 2023 11:15 pm

Yes, just go in to the setting of WMC and change the drive:
Settings -> TV -> Recorder -> Recorder Storage

However, the most likely reason it was changed back to the default location is probably because you are trying to use an external USB HD as your recorder storage. If WMC does not detect the HD when it tries to access it, it will change it to the default location. This often happens with external drives due to the drive having a power saving mode that does not allow it to respond quickly after it hasn't been accessed for a certain amount of time.

You can try turning off this power saving mode on the external drive (if it has this option) but in general, people have had many problems with using external USB HD as the direct recording location and instead use an internal HD for recording and then offload the recording to an external drive afterwards.

If what you say is true (that the setting is still set to the M: drive, but actually records to the C: drive) then this may be some other problem, and I'm not sure I have heard of something like this happening in the past...